Sri Lankas News Update

  • Charles Brownson
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 2, 2008

      Hi Every one,

      I hope you all are doing well, I am sorry for very long gap wich periot  I could not email you all I was really busy with my office.

      I am sending some news about Sri Lanka and i hope i will be able to update news about Sri Lanka weekly.

      Brownson

      NEWS UPDATE

      Powers are not accessible for Eastern province

      It is not necessary to make any changes in the partys name

      of TMVP Movement was stated by partys deputy leader and

      the Chief Minister of Eastern province. He gave an

      interview to an English newspaper, stated that when

      government conducted the local government election, a

      necessity arose to register the party, and at that time,

      Karuna was in abroad. Hence he was compelled to register

      the party as "TMVP",

      [Sudaroli,24 November]

      Police informs Nawatkadu Sinhala Doctor was killed by

      TMVP.

      Sinhalese Doctor named Palitha Pathmakumara, functioned

      in a village hospital at Nawatkadu, Vavunatheevu was

      ordered by Varnaa of TMVP, Vavuniyatheevu Manikadu

      vicinity leader. Such information is published in todays

      "Lakbima" newspaper. Police high level information

      reveals that Karuna has 27 office and 21 office of Pillaiyan

      are functioned in the East. A six member group on the

      leadership of Varnan had attacked the doctor on last 16th

      [Lankawin,24 November]

      UNICEF report states, education of 250,000 children

      affected by conflict.

      The current escalation of the conflict has affected 250,000

      primary school children of their access to education,

      according to recent UNICEF report. Mid Year Review of

      the UNICEF Humanitarian Action states, "Access to

      education for more than 250,000 primary school age

      children has been seriously disrupted and the current

      increase in displacements further aggravates this situation.

      [Lankawin,24 November]

      Running with the Hare and Hunting with the hounds

      The whole scenario of the international involvement in the

      peace process, initiated and concluded by the Norwegian

      facilitators in 2002, portrays an acrimonious and protracted

      diplomatic deception employed in addressing the real issues

      of the Tamil National Struggle for Self-determination and

      Self-governance. What was the purpose behind the forming

      of donor groups, and their involvement in the overall Sri

      Lankan conflict, when the negotiating process was in its

      infancy?

      [TamilCanadian,November]

      12 Tamil youths arrested in cordon, search Ea'raavoor

      SLA and Police arrested twelve Tamil youths in a combined

      cordon and search operation conducted in Ea'raavoor Police

      division in Batticaloa district Saturday afternoon. The

      search operation was triggered by the shooting death of M

      Ibrahim, 45, a SLA Intelligence operative at 4:00 p.m.

      [TamilNet, 24 November]

      Anbazhagan calls for urgent action to help SL Tamils

      Urgent action needs to be taken to help out the Sri Lankan

      Tamils, who have been caught in the conflict, Finance

      Minister K. Anbazhagan said on Sunday. The Tamils

      everywhere had to transcend their differences and come

      together to fight for the issues that concerned all Tamils.

      Only with a deep-rooted sense of the Tamil identity could

      Tamil Nadu continue to rise, he said,speaking at the 110th

      birth anniversary celebration of K.A.P. Viswanathan,

      [Lankawin,24 November]

      SL doctors put conditions to work in Northern and

      Eastern Provinces

      Sri Lanka GMOA is asking for three demands to

      recommence the work in the hospitals of the Northern and

      Eastern Provinces. The three demands are providing with

      maximum security, official quarters and a life insurance

      worth of Rs. 10 million. The doctors have boycotted the

      duties in hospitals in the two provinces since the day an

      ethnic Sinhalese doctor was assassinated in Batticaloa

      district last week.

      [ColomboPage News Desk, 24 November]

      Hell of a how do you do

      Thirty nine government cabinet and non cabinet ministers

      as well as deputy ministers are to receive 100,000 rupees a

      month as house rent, even though they are living in houses

      belonging to their relatives or friends. This will cost 3.9

      million rupees a month to the exchequer, and the Treasury

      has to spend around 47 million rupees annually. This was

      revealed to the house consequent to a question posed by

      JVP MP Ranaweera Pathirana. According to the State

      Administrative Circular 10/2007, cabinet ministers, non

      cabinet ministers and deputy ministers who have not been

      provided with houses are eligible to obtain 100,000 rupees

      as house rent.

      [ Lakbima News,24November]