Fwd: MPW Statement

    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 10, 2008
      Friends:  Please not the press statement below which was sent to me by our colleague Bobby Benito.

      max

      PRESS STATEMENT
      The Mindanao PeaceWeavers (MPW) is deeply saddened with the abduction of one of our conveners, Prof. Octavio Dinampo who was snatched along with veteran TV broadcaster Cess Drilon and her two cameramen, Jimmy Encarnacion and Angelo Valderama, in Kulasi, Maimbung, Sulu last Monday.
      As we join fellow peace advocates in calling on their abductors to immediately free them unconditionally, we also request everyone to help us pray and work for the safety of Prof. Octa and his fellow kidnap victims.
      We take this opportunity to express our aversion over an insinuation by the Philippine National Police that Prof. Octa could be "part of the kidnappers."

      Media reports attributed this statement to Chief Supt. Joel Goltiao, police regional director for the Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao: "As of now, we cannot determine his (Dinampo) role, if he is a part of the kidnappers or he was also a victim."

      This statement of the highest ranking police officer in the autonomous region does not only undermine the already precarious security of Prof. Octa but also casts aspersion on the entire peace movement in Mindanao. We condemn this in no uncertain terms.
      Prof. Octa is the current Chair of the Mindanao Peoples Caucus (MPC), a network member of the MPW.  He has always been in the forefront of peace activities in Jolo and has lent his prestige and quiet, tireless work to the entire peacebuilding movement in Mindanao. As an MPW co-convener, he participated in a recent regional conference on the impact of Counter Terrorism Measures on the work of civil society held in Davao City. He may now be an ironic victim of those measures.
      We abhor this apparent allusion that Prof. Octa is "part of the kidnappers"—a not-so-veiled hint that we believe is deliberately being spread with the persistent unconfirmed reports attempting to impress upon the public that the co-convener of MPW had already been freed by their abductors while the journalists he helped remain in the hands of
      their captors.
      Since Tuesday afternoon, our partners in Jolo were reportedly told by men identified with the intelligence community that Prof. Octa had already been released without Drilon and her crew.
      Some media reports also identified Drilon, Encarnacion and Valderama as the only victims of the kidnapping. We are very concerned that some> of our friends in media have fallen for the line that Drilon, Encarnacion and Valderama are the only ones kidnapped, reinforcing the PNP's insinuation that Prof. Octa could be "part of the kidnappers."
      Prof. Octa couldn't be declared missing in his own home province, unless he is being held against his will.  He is clearly a kidnap-victim.
      MPW vouches for Prof. Octa and stands by him unrelentingly.  We call on all concerned to join our efforts in getting Prof Octa and all his fellow victims released safely the soonest possible time

      ABDULBASIT R.  BENITO
      Executive Director
      Bangsamoro Center for JustPeace Inc.
      BCJP
      Int. C 2, Don E. Sero Street
      Rosary Heights IV
      Cotabato City. Philippines

      --
      "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."
      Jimi Hendrix

      Visit the following websites:
      daga.n3.net/justpeace
      daga.n3.net/icp
      daga.n3.net/max
    • JahanAra
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 12, 2008

        Dear Max,

        Iam deeply concerned about the personnel. We fully support the cause and will pray for the members.

        Peace

        jahan ara

[...]

        Meet people who discuss and share your passions. Join them now.

[...]

          I am somehow less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
          —Stephen Jay Gould