Fact-finding trip to Burma

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 5, 2007
      Dear friends:
      I have not communicated with you for some time now so let me bring you up to date on CJPA plans/activities.

      This year we were planning a workshop in Nepal to explore Indigenous issues.  However, due to various scheduling issues that workshop is now postponed until later next year.  Our good friend Jerome has agreed to help organize it and Yam Bahadur Kisan in Nepal will help host it.  Once we can set a new date for the workshop, we will inform you.

      For this year, a new activity has come up.  As you all have seen on the news, the people in the urban areas of Burma have been carring out strong protests against the military regiem.  This has caught the attention of the international community and now there is much pressure on the junta.  We do not know how this will play out, but definitely the military will continue strong action against the protestors - many of whom are Buddhist monks.

      At the same time, the brutality of the military has seen hundreds of thousands of people in the rural areas being tortured, killed, raped and deprived of food for decades already.  We do not want that suffering and the issues of the ethnic people to be lost as the world watches and supports the struggles in the urban areas.

      Therefore we are planning a fact-find mission to the Thai/Burma border to explore the realities of life under the military junta and how it has affected the ethnic people for the past many years.  We hope to link these issues to the urban issues so that the international community can have a more comprehensive understanding of the struggles taking place in Burma.

      This fact-finding mission will be carried out in December and we have asked Ms. Raihana from Aceh, Mr. Goldy from India, Mr. Bobby from Mindanao, Ms Bay from Viet Nam and Ms Rachel (American volunteer) to be on this mission.  They will be hosted by Burma Issues along the Thai Burma border.

      The mission will last for two weeks and will result in a report which we can make public.

      As this activity moves forward, we will try tokeep you informed.  Please keep all those involved in your thoughts and prayers.

      peace......max

      --
      When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why the poor have no food, they call me a communist.
      -Dom Helder Camara

      Visit the following websites:
      daga.n3.net/justpeace
      daga.n3.net/icp