Fwd: Low caste communities still suffering discrimination in Nepal

    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 10, 2007
      Hi friends please have a look on the situation of Dalits in Nepal...

      Justpeace
      Goldy

      From: "Madhu Chandra" <finicy@...>
      To: <dalitstudycircle@...>
      Subject: Low caste communities still suffering discrimination in Nepal
      Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2007 08:35:04 +0530

      Low caste communities still suffering discrimination in Nepal

      By: IRIN News
      Published: Jan 6, 2007 at 07:42

      Low caste Dalit communities are still neglected and discriminated against in Nepalese society. Photo: Naresh Newar/IRIN
      Nepal's impoverished low caste 'Dalit' community continue to be discriminated against almost 20 years after the caste system was banned, human rights activists in Nepal's southwestern city of Nepalganj have complained.

      "We still have to live with the hard reality of being discriminated [against] in every aspect of our lives," said Dalit school teacher, Hari Bahadur Biswokarma, in Nepalganj, 600 km west of the capital Kathmandu.

      Biswokarma added that the situation was much worse in the remote western areas of Nepal, which remain among the least developed areas in the country with a per capita income of less than US $1 a day.

      The Dalits have suffered from caste discrimination ever since the former Nepalese rulers, the Mallas, introduced the system in the 13th century. It was only in 1990, following the restoration of democracy, that the new constitution declared the practice of caste discrimination a crime.

      "But even today, the situation has barely changed as discrimination is rife in both social and economic aspects," said Dalit activist, Parsuram Nepali, from the local rights NGO, Neglected Community Awareness, Nepal.

      He added that due to discrimination, the Dalit families are excluded from most development and economic activities, children are often deprived of education, and women have to work under exploitative conditions in the cities in order to make a living.

      According to the Dalit NGO Federation (DNF), around 80 percent of the five million-strong Dalit population lives below the poverty line. DNF explained that the literacy rate is barely 10 percent, with only 3.2 percent of women literate, and most Dalit children suffering malnutrition.

      Until recently, the former Maoist rebels had been supporting the Dalits while engaged in a decade of conflict with the Nepalese government. However, following a peace agreement between the two parties in November, the Maoists have been preoccupied with their own political issues, Dalit activists have complained.

      "The Maoists had proved themselves committed to end discrimination by punishing especially the high caste landlords who had been exploiting the low caste farmers," said activist Bhim Nepali from the NGO, Dalit Sewa Sangh.

      "The only way to end the discrimination is by empowering and educating more Dalits, but the government has to be seriously committed, otherwise another civil war will start in the country if the neglect continues," claimed activist Ram Singh Karki, who explained that one cause of the armed conflict over the past decade was related to the social exclusion of the low castes. He warned that the Dalits may be forced to take up arms if their wellbeing is constantly ignored by the state.

      Dalit Study Circle, A unit of Dalit Mukti Morcha, Chhattisgarh
      Creation of a casteless and peaceful society is indeed the first step towards just, egalitarian, and harmonious society. A society of equals, neither unequal nor more-equals, beyond the strings of caste, class, gender, race, etc. Otherwise it leads to social oppression, political exploitation, economic deprivation, cultural domination, gender discrimination, class isolation, deliberate exclusion. Lets’ believe in a society beyond this. Dalit Mukti Morcha is a mass based Dalit Organisation in Chhattisgarh. For further information on DMM, write to dalitmuktimorcha@...

    • nhek sophearith
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 11, 2007
        Dear all friends,

        Enjoy for weedkend........

        Subject: KEEP SMILING...KEEP TOUCHING
        Friendship:
        pic16029.jpg
         pic24909.jpg
            pic27009.gif

        take care alway,phearith

        It's here! Your new message!

      • Yam Bahadur Kisan
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 12, 2007
          Dear Justpeace Friends
          Greetings from Nepal !

          You all the friends are wellnnown about the situation of Nepal. The interim constitution and the interiem parliament will be declaried and formed on 15th of January. And the Communist Parti of Nepal (Maoist) has nominate 11 Dalit (15 %) leaders in Interim Parliament from their parti. It historical events for Nepalese parliamentary history.

          Peace

          Yam Kisan

          From: "Madhu Chandra" <finicy@gmail. com>
          To: <dalitstudycircle@ yahoo.com>
          Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2007 08:35:04 +0530

[...]

          ____________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _________ ______
          Creation of a casteless and peaceful society is indeed the first step towards just, egalitarian, and harmonious society. A society of equals, neither unequal nor more-equals, beyond the strings of caste, class, gender, race, etc. Otherwise it leads to social oppression, political exploitation, economic deprivation, cultural domination, gender discrimination, class isolation, deliberate exclusion. Lets’ believe in a society beyond this. Dalit Mukti Morcha is a mass based Dalit Organisation in Chhattisgarh. For further information on DMM, write to dalitmuktimorcha@ gmail.com

          Author / Researcher / Human Rights Activist and Christian Leader
          Email : ybkisan@...

        • Yam Bahadur Kisan
          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 20, 2007
            Dear friends
            Greetings from Nepal !

            I have a good news. The Government of Nepal, recently (14 June) decided to provide 13 percent seats for Dalits, 37 percent seats for ethnic groups and 50 percent seats for women in constituent assembly. The all provide seats are proportional. So it the great achievement for the Nepali Dalit, ethnic groups and woment in Nepal.

            Yam Kisan

            Author / Researcher / Human Rights Activist
            Email : ybkisan@...

          • 이재영
            Message 5 of 12 , Jun 20, 2007

              Hi Yam Kisan

              I am very happy to hear the news from Nepal.
              I hope this change will bring more equality and justice in Nepal society.

              With best wishes....

              샬롬 (Shalom)
              이재영 (Jae Young Lee)

              평화부 담당 간사 (Peace Program Director)
              한국 아나뱁티스트 센터 (02-554-9615)
              Korea Anabaptist Center (www.kac.or.kr)

              부원장 (Vice-President)
              커넥서스 어학원 (02-501-3224)
              Connexus Language Institute (www.connexus.co.kr)
              "Let's Dream Impossible Dreams!"
              I have a good news. The Government of Nepal, recently (14 June) decided to provide 13 percent seats for Dalits, 37 percent seats for ethnic groups and 50 percent seats for women in constituent assembly. The all provide seats are proportional. So it the great achievement for the Nepali Dalit, ethnic groups and woment in Nepal.

              Yam Kisan
              Nepal

              ____________ _________
              Author / Researcher / Human Rights Activist

              Message 6 of 12 , Jun 20, 2007
                Dear Yam:  Thanks for sharing the good news.  We really need to hear good news as it lifts our spirits and gives us more energy.  I look forward to any updates about this move toward a more participatory democracy.

                On 6/21/07, Yam Bahadur Kisan <ybkisan@...> wrote:

                Dear friends
                Greetings from Nepal !

                I have a good news. The Government of Nepal, recently (14 June) decided to provide 13 percent seats for Dalits, 37 percent seats for ethnic groups and 50 percent seats for women in constituent assembly. The all provide seats are proportional. So it the great achievement for the Nepali Dalit, ethnic groups and woment in Nepal.

                Yam Kisan

                Author / Researcher / Human Rights Activist
                Email : ybkisan@...

                When a person is killed, the question to the one who killed is not "Where is your enemy?"  It is always, "Where is your brother/sister?"  (ECAPC)

                Visit the following websites:
                daga.n3.net/justpeace
                daga.n3.net/icp
                daga.n3.net/max
                Message 7 of 12 , Jun 21, 2007
                  Dear Yam:
                  It is a great news and congratulations for the big acheivement after a long standing struggles for Dalit rights to reservation. The current 13 percent seats for Dalits, 37 percent seats for ethnic groups and 50 percent seats for women in constituent assembly needs to be properly utilized in order to attain the possible social and political ends leading to the larger question of Dalits Ethnics and Women.

                  All the best wishes from the Dalit communities and movements in India.

                  With Revolutionary Jai Bhim!

                • centerforjustpeace in mindanao
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jun 21, 2007
                    Dear Yam, Praise be to God! Its great! I hope and pray that our government will have this kind of approach for the marginalize sectors of socviety. Congratulations!  BOBBY BENITO

                    On 6/21/07, Yam Bahadur Kisan <ybkisan@yahoo. com> wrote:
                    Dear friends
                    Greetings from Nepal !

                    I have a good news. The Government of Nepal, recently (14 June) decided to provide 13 percent seats for Dalits, 37 percent seats for ethnic groups and 50 percent seats for women in constituent assembly. The all provide seats are proportional. So it the great achievement for the Nepali Dalit, ethnic groups and woment in Nepal.

                    Yam Kisan
                    Nepal

                    ____________ _________
                    Author / Researcher / Human Rights Activist

                    When a person is killed, the question to the one who killed is not "Where is your enemy?"  It is always, "Where is your brother/sister? "  (ECAPC)

                    Visit the following websites:
                    daga.n3.net/ justpeace
                    daga.n3.net/ icp
                    daga.n3.net/ max

                    Coordinator
                    BCJP

                  • Ahmad Al Azzeh
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jun 22, 2007

                      Congratulations

                      Ahmad from Palestine

                      I have a good news. The Government of Nepal, recently (14 June) decided to provide 13 percent seats for Dalits, 37 percent seats for ethnic groups and 50 percent seats for women in constituent assembly. The all provide seats are proportional. So it the great achievement for the Nepali Dalit, ethnic groups and woment in Nepal .

                      Yam Kisan

                      Nepal

                      ____________ _________

                      Mr. Yam Bahadur Kisan

                      M.A., B.L. ( Tribhuwan University , Nepal )

                      Advocate, Supreme Court of Nepal

                      Author / Researcher / Human Rights Activist

                      P.O.Box No :! 21066

                    • Ekkarin Tuansiri
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jun 22, 2007
                        Good news
                        i so very happy

                        Lee / Thailand

                        To: justpeaceinasia@yahoogroups.com
                        From: centerforjustpeace@...
                        Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2007 19:36:18 -0700
                        Subject: Re: [justpeaceinasia] Good News From Nepal

                        Max Ediger <ediger.max@gmail. com> wrote:
[...]

                        Make every IM count. Download Windows Live Messenger and join the i’m Initiative now. It’s free.  Make it count!
                      • jerome deporres
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jun 22, 2007

                          Congratulations Yam Kisan.....

                          Jerome

                          Sri Lanka

                          Message 12 of 12 , Jun 28, 2007
                            Dear Goldy

                            Thanks for mail. Now, in Nepal, raising the discourse about the affirmative action and reservation and I have been writing article/book on this issue. So, please, if you have some electronic matters on Indian experience of reservation send me. We the Nepali Dalit, first time going to stepping this new things. So I need your help. Because in Nepal always of Non-Dalit and some Dalit even have negative perspective about indian experience of reservation.

                            You can recommend me some other references and resources like wesite also.

                            Be well !

                            Yam