re-posting of articles

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 24, 2004
      Friends: I just re-posted the two articles I posted earlier this
      morning. The author sent me an update this afternoon so I made some
      changes.

      One of these papers talks specifically about the new security policy
      the National Security Council of Thailand developed for the Southern
      provinces. As some of you may know, there has been much violence in
      these provinces in the past and much of it has wrongly been
      attributed to the desire of the Muslim population there to form a
      new state. Mark Tamthai was instrumental in helping the NSC develop
      this new strategy which had a very strong, positive impact on the
      region. In recent months, however, violence has exploded resulting
      in the deaths of many people. I asked Mark what happened. Why did
      the hopes of the new NSC strategy fail? Below is his response.

      "The NSC policy for the South has not changed, in fact
      it is now better focused. The problem is that the NSC
      is now at odds with the Army on how to handle things.
      9/11 has played a role in that it has given
      justification to the hardliners in the army, with US
      support. This makes the situation of violence even
      worse and makes the NSC policy even more difficult to
      implement. Thaksin does not know what direction to
      take and so has given the green light to both
      directions. This makes things confusing and, sadly,
      has caused a spiraling up of the violence. We are
      trying our best to reverse the situation. The whole
      thing is a tragedy that I believe could have been
      avoided if there had been understanding and the will
      in the beginning. Thaksin thought everything could be
      dealt with by pouring money into the region. When
      that did'nt work it was too late."