Fwd: Which Fascism?

    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 11, 2006
      Regi P George <george_regi@...> wrote:
      Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2006 20:53:38 +0100 (BST)
      From: Regi P George <george_regi@...>
      Subject: Which Fascism?
      To: Alternative Futures <aditi.rakesh@...>

      [Source *may* be web site mentioned at end.]
      ----------

      Reclaiming The Issues: Islamic Or Republican Fascism?
      by Thom Hartmann

      In the years since George W. Bush first used 9/11 as his own
      "Reichstag fire" to gut the Constitution and enhance the
      power and wealth of his corporate cronies, many across the
      political spectrum have accused him and his Republican support
      group of being fascists.

      On the right,The John Birch Society's website editor
      recently opined of the Bush Administration's warrantless
      wiretap program: "This is to say that from the
      administration's perspective, the president is, in effect,
      our living constitution. This is, in a specific and
      unmistakable sense, fascist."

      On the left, Robert F. Kennedy, Jr. specifically indicts the
      Bush administration for fascistic behavior in his book
      "Crimes Against Nature: How George W. Bush and his Corporate
      Pals Are Plundering the Country and Hijacking Our
      Democracy."

      Genuine American fascists are on the run, and
      part of their survival strategy is to redefine the term
      "fascism" so it can't be applied to them any more.
      Most recently, George W. Bush said: "This nation is at war
      with Islamic fascists who will use any means to destroy those
      of us who love freedom, to hurt our nation."

      In fact, the Islamic fundamentalists who apparently perpetrated
      9/11 and other crimes in Spain and the United Kingdom are
      advocating a fundamentalist theocracy, not fascism.

      But theocracy - the merging of religion and government - is
      also on the plate for the new American fascists (just as it was
      for Hitler, who based the Nazi death cult on a "new
      Christianity" that would bring "a thousand years of
      peace"), so they don't want to use that term, either.

      While the Republicans promote the term "Islamo-fascism,"
      the rest of the world is pushing back, as the BBC noted in an
      article by Richard Allen Greene ("Bush's Language Angers
      US Muslims" - 12 August 2006):

      "Security expert Daniel Benjamin of the Center for Strategic
      and International Studies agreed that the term [Islamic
      fascists] was meaningless.

      "'There is no sense in which jihadists embrace fascist
      ideology as it was developed by Mussolini or anyone else who
      was associated with the term,' he said. 'This is an
      epithet, a way of arousing strong emotion and tarnishing
      one's opponent, but it doesn't tell us anything about the
      content of their beliefs.'"

      Their beliefs are, quite simply, that governments of the world
      should be subservient to religion, a view shared by a small but
      significant part of today's Republican party. But that is
      not fascism - the fascists in the US want to exploit the
      fundamentalist theocrats to achieve their own fascistic goals.

      Vice President of the United States Henry Wallace was the first
      to clearly and accurately point out who the real American
      fascists are, and what they're up to.

      In early 1944 the New York Times asked Vice President Wallace
      to, as Wallace noted, "write a piece answering the following
      questions: What is a fascist? How many fascists have we? How
      dangerous are they?"

      Vice President Wallace's answers to those questions were
      published in The New York Times on April 9, 1944, at the height
      of the war against the Axis powers of Germany and Japan:

      "The really dangerous American fascists," Wallace wrote,
      "are not those who are hooked up directly or indirectly with
      the Axis. The FBI has its finger on those. The dangerous
      American fascist is the man who wants to do in the United
      States in an American way what Hitler did in Germany in a
      Prussian way. The American fascist would prefer not to use
      violence. His method is to poison the channels of public
      information. With a fascist the problem is never how best to
      present the truth to the public but how best to use the news to
      deceive the public into giving the fascist and his group more
      money or more power."

      In this, Vice President Wallace was using the classic
      definition of the word "fascist" - the definition
      Mussolini had in mind when he claimed to have invented the word.
      (It was actually Italian philosopher Giovanni Gentile who wrote
      the entry in the Encyclopedia Italiana that said: "Fascism
      should more appropriately be called corporatism because it is a
      merger of state and corporate power." Mussolini, however,
      affixed his name to the entry, and claimed credit for it.)

      As the 1983 American Heritage Dictionary noted, fascism is:
      "A system of government that exercises a dictatorship of the
      extreme right, typically through the merging of state and
      business leadership, together with belligerent nationalism."
      (The US dictionary definition has gotten somewhat squishier
      since then, as all the larger dictionary companies have been
      bought up by multinational corporations.)

      Mussolini was quite straightforward about all this. In a 1923
      pamphlet titled "The Doctrine of Fascism" he wrote,
      "If classical liberalism spells individualism, Fascism spells
      government." But not a government of, by, and for We The
      People - instead, it would be a government of, by, and for the
      most powerful corporate interests in the nation.

      In 1938, Mussolini brought his vision of fascism into full
      reality when he dissolved Parliament and replaced it with the
      "Camera dei Fasci e delle Corporazioni" - the Chamber of
      the Fascist Corporations. Corporations were still privately
      owned, but now instead of having to sneak their money to folks
      like John Boehner and covertly write legislation, they were
      openly in charge of the government.

      Vice President Wallace bluntly laid out his concern about the
      same happening here in America in his 1944 Times article:

      "If we define an American fascist as one who in case of
      conflict puts money and power ahead of human beings, then there
      are undoubtedly several million fascists in the United States.
      There are probably several hundred thousand if we narrow the
      definition to include only those who in their search for money
      and power are ruthless and deceitful. ... They are patriotic in
      time of war because it is to their interest to be so, but in
      time of peace they follow power and the dollar wherever they
      may lead."

      Nonetheless, at that time there were few corporate heads who
      had run for political office, and, in Wallace's view, most
      politicians still felt it was their obligation to represent We
      The People instead of corporate cartels. The real problem would
      come, he believed, when the media was concentrated in only a
      few hands:

      "American fascism will not be really dangerous," he added
      in the next paragraph, "until there is a purposeful
      coalition among the cartelists, the deliberate poisoners of
      public information..."

      Noting that, "Fascism is a worldwide disease," Wallace
      further suggested that fascism's "greatest threat to the
      United States will come after the war" and will manifest
      "within the United States itself."

      In Sinclair Lewis's 1935 novel "It Can't Happen
      Here," a conservative southern politician is helped to the
      presidency by a nationally syndicated "conservative"
      radio talk show host. The politician - Buzz Windrip - runs his
      campaign on family values, the flag, and patriotism. Windrip
      and the talk show host portray advocates of traditional American
      democracy as anti-American. When Windrip becomes President, he
      opens a Guantanamo-style detention center, and the viewpoint
      character of the book, Vermont newspaper editor Doremus Jessup,
      flees to Canada to avoid prosecution under new
      "patriotic" laws that make it illegal to criticize the
      President. As Lewis noted in his novel:

      "The President, with something of his former good-humor
      [said]: 'There are two [political] parties, the Corporate
      and those who don't belong to any party at all, and so, to
      use a common phrase, are just out of luck!' The idea of the
      Corporate or Corporative State, Secretary [of State] Sarason
      had more or less taken from Italy." And, President
      "Windrip's partisans called themselves the Corporatists,
      or, familiarly, the 'Corpos,' which nickname was
      generally used."

      Lewis, the first American writer to win a Nobel Prize, was
      world famous by 1944, as was his book "It Can't Happen
      Here." And several well-known and powerful Americans,
      including Prescott Bush, had lost businesses in the early 1940s
      because of charges by Roosevelt that they were doing business
      with Hitler. These events all, no doubt, colored Vice President
      Wallace's thinking when he wrote in The New York Times:

      "Still another danger is represented by those who, paying
      lip service to democracy and the common welfare, in their
      insatiable greed for money and the power which money gives, do
      not hesitate surreptitiously to evade the laws designed to
      safeguard the public from monopolistic extortion. American
      fascists of this stamp were clandestinely aligned with their
      German counterparts before the war, and are even now preparing
      to resume where they left off, after 'the present
      unpleasantness' ceases."

      Thus, the rich get richer (and more powerful) on the backs of
      the poor and the middle class, giant corporate behemoths wipe
      out small and middle sized businesses, and a corporate iron
      fist is seizing control of our government itself. As I detail in
      my new book "Screwed: The Undeclared War Against The Middle
      Class," the primary beneficiaries of this new fascism are
      the corporatists, while the once-outspoken middle class of the
      1950s-1980s is systematically being replaced by a silent serf-
      class of the working poor.

      As Wallace wrote, some in big business "are willing to
      jeopardize the structure of American liberty to gain some
      temporary advantage." He added, "Monopolists who fear
      competition and who distrust democracy because it stands for
      equal opportunity would like to secure their position against
      small and energetic enterprise [companies]. In an effort to
      eliminate the possibility of any rival growing up, some
      monopolists would sacrifice democracy itself."

      But American fascists who would want former CEOs as President,
      Vice President, House Majority Whip, and Senate Majority
      Leader, and write legislation with corporate interests in mind,
      don't generally talk to We The People about their real
      agenda, or the harm it does to small businesses and working
      people. Instead, as Hitler did with the trade union leaders and
      the Jews, they point to a "them" to pin with blame and
      distract people from the harms of their economic policies.

      In a comment prescient of George W. Bush's recent suggestion
      that civilization itself is at risk because of gays or Muslims,
      Wallace continued:

      "The symptoms of fascist thinking are colored by environment
      and adapted to immediate circumstances. But always and
      everywhere they can be identified by their appeal to prejudice
      and by the desire to play upon the fears and vanities of
      different groups in order to gain power. It is no coincidence
      that the growth of modern tyrants has in every case been
      heralded by the growth of prejudice. It may be shocking to some
      people in this country to realize that, without meaning to do
      so, they hold views in common with Hitler when they preach
      discrimination..."

      But even at this, Wallace noted, American fascists would have
      to lie to the people in order to gain power. And, because they
      were in bed with the nation's largest corporations - who
      could gain control of newspapers and broadcast media - they
      could promote their lies with ease.

      "The American fascists are most easily recognized by their
      deliberate perversion of truth and fact," Wallace wrote.
      "Their newspapers and propaganda carefully cultivate every
      fissure of disunity, every crack in the common front against
      fascism. They use every opportunity to impugn democracy."

      In his strongest indictment of the tide of fascism the Vice
      President of the United States saw rising in America, he added:

      "They claim to be super-patriots, but they would destroy
      every liberty guaranteed by the Constitution. They demand free
      enterprise, but are the spokesmen for monopoly and vested
      interest. Their final objective toward which all their deceit
      is directed is to capture political power so that, using the
      power of the state and the power of the market simultaneously,
      they may keep the common man in eternal subjection."

      Finally, Wallace said, "The myth of fascist efficiency has
      deluded many people. ... Democracy, to crush fascism
      internally, must...develop the ability to keep people fully
      employed and at the same time balance the budget. It must put
      human beings first and dollars second. It must appeal to reason
      and decency and not to violence and deceit. We must not
      tolerate oppressive government or industrial oligarchy in the
      form of monopolies and cartels."

      This liberal vision of an egalitarian America in which very
      large businesses and media monopolies are broken up under the
      1890 Sherman Anti-Trust Act (which Reagan stopped enforcing,
      leading to the mergers & acquisitions frenzy that continues to
      this day) was the driving vision of the New Deal (and of
      "Trust Buster" Teddy Roosevelt a generation earlier).

      As Wallace's President, Franklin D. Roosevelt, said when he
      accepted his party's renomination in 1936 in Philadelphia:

      "...Out of this modern civilization, economic royalists
      [have] carved new dynasties.... It was natural and perhaps
      human that the privileged princes of these new economic
      dynasties, thirsting for power, reached out for control over
      government itself. They created a new despotism and wrapped it
      in the robes of legal sanction.... And as a result the average
      man once more confronts the problem that faced the Minute
      Man...."

      Speaking indirectly of the fascists that Wallace would directly
      name almost a decade later, Roosevelt brought the issue to its
      core:

      "These economic royalists complain that we seek to overthrow
      the institutions of America. What they really complain of is
      that we seek to take away their power."

      But, he thundered in that speech:

      "Our allegiance to American institutions requires the
      overthrow of this kind of power!"

      In 2006, we again stand at the same crossroad Roosevelt and
      Wallace confronted during the Great Depression and World War
      II. Fascism is again rising in America, this time calling itself
      "compassionate conservatism," and "the free market"
      in a "flat" world. The RNC's behavior today eerily
      parallels the day in 1936 when Roosevelt said:

      "In vain they seek to hide behind the flag and the
      Constitution. In their blindness they forget what the flag and
      the Constitution stand for."

      President Roosevelt and Vice President Wallace's warnings
      have come full circle. Thus it's now critical that we
      reclaim the word "fascist" to describe current-day
      Republican policies, support progressive websites that spread
      the good word, and join together this November at the ballot
      box to stop fascist election fraud and this most recent
      incarnation of Republican-fascism from seizing complete and
      irretrievable control of our nation.

      ----------
      Thom Hartmann is a Project Censored Award-winning best-selling
      author, and host of a nationally syndicated daily progressive
      talk show carried on the Air America Radio network and Sirius.
      www.thomhartmann.com His most recent book, just released, is
      "Screwed: The Undeclared War on the Middle Class and What We
      Can Do About It." Other books include: "The Last Hours of
      Ancient Sunlight," "Unequal Protection," "We The
      People," and "What Would Jefferson Do?"

      ----------
      Dr. Anis Alam, who sent this to me, was until recently
      professor of physics at the Punjab University, Lahore.

      MD

      --

      Mukul Dube
      D-504 Purvasha Anand Lok .. Mayur Vihar 1 .. Delhi 110091

      "Do not judge me by my actions;

      Do not judge me from man's point of view"

      "Judge me from God's - by the hidden purpose behind my actions.
      Regi George wishing you Good Luck. Thanks

      Dalit Study Circle, A unit of Dalit Mukti Morcha, Chhattisgarh
      Creation of a casteless and peaceful society is indeed the first step towards just, egalitarian, and harmonious society. A society of equals, neither unequal nor more-equals, beyond the strings of caste, class, gender, race, etc. Otherwise it leads to social oppression, political exploitation, economic deprivation, cultural domination, gender discrimination, class isolation, deliberate exclusion. Lets’ believe in a society beyond this. Dalit Mukti Morcha is a mass based Dalit Organisation in Chhattisgarh. For further information on DMM, write to dalitmuktimorcha@...

      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 11, 2006
        Goldy :  thanks for sending this.  It's a rather frightening article, but reflects some fears that have been running through my blood about the US for some time now

        Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2006 20:53:38 +0100 (BST)
        From: Regi P George <george_regi@ yahoo.com>
        To: Alternative Futures <aditi.rakesh@vsnl.com>

[...]

        'It's no disgrace not to be able to run a country nowadays, but it is a disgrace to keep on trying when you know you can't.'"  Will Rogers

        "Why blame the dark for being dark? It's far more helpful to ask why the light isn't as bright as it should be."
        - Rob Bell