greetings

    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 18, 2006
      Dear friends:

      I just returned from a meeting in Cambodia.  While I was there I had the opportunity to meet with some of our old friends.  They have set up a student center in Phnom Phen which is becoming an active gathering center for university students.  We also had the opportunity to share several meals together.

      Borey is graduating from university this year with a degree in teaching.  Sophearith is still in university and is doing well.  He's gotten a bit fat so perhaps he isn't exercising enough.  Paddy, whom some of you also know, is helping get the student center up and running and has a great visition for its future.

      They are talking about establishing a Center for Justpeace in Asia branch in Cambodia.  We discussed this briefly, but it will be necessary for CJPA to discuss in more detail how we will operate as we de-centralize and establish centers in different parts of Asia.  One such center is already operating in Philippines.  Please think about this and share any ideas you have.

      peace.......max

      Three steps must be taken to smash the war racket... We must take the profit out of war... We must permit the youth of the land who would bear arms to decide whether or not there should be war... We must limit our military forces to home defense purposes." - Major General Smedley D. Butler - USMC Retired - Two-Time Medal of Honor Recipient

      Yahoo! Groups gets better. Check out the new email design. Plus there’s much more to come.
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 20, 2008
        Friends:  In October the 2008 Center for Justpeace in Asia meeting was held in Nepal with the assistance of the National Research Institute of Nepal.  The theme of the meeting was "Our Stories/Our Challenges".  We shared stories from conflict areas and the challenges that face communities when a conflict draws to an end and the process for healing and rebuilding begins.

        The participants to that meeting have been added to this Yahoo Group and we want to welcome them.  This is a group where we can share information about our struggles, our challenges and our victories.  It is also a place where we can request solidarity from around Asia when we face serious conflicts in our work areas.  Please do use this group to help strengthen our regional advocacy efforts.

        We hope to have a report on the meeting out soon.  Possibly it will be published as a book.  We will keep you informed.  In the meantime, I hope we can all keep active in our efforts for justpeace.

        peace.......max

        --
        "3 out of 2 people have problems with fractions." (T-shirt in Colombo, Sri Lanka)

        "War perpetuates itself without conscious effort because revenge and recrimination wage themselves. Waging peace, on the other hand, demands deliberate, consensual and coordinated human effort."  Anu Pahari - Nepal

      • Center for JustPeace in Phil.
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 25, 2008

          Arm Forces of the Philippines forcing air strikes victims to sign waiver

          Troops of the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) were forcing the victims of the recent terroristic air strikes in villages of Datu Saudi Ampatuan and Mamasapano, Maguindanao to sign a waiver. Four innocent civilians were brutally wounded and one was killed by the deliberate indiscriminate air strikes of the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) in some barangays of Datu Saudi Ampatuan and Mamasapano, Maguindanao last November 18, 2008.

          Sindak Ismael, 30 years old, was killed during the air strike while Haja Bai Masla Zangkala, 45 years old, Haja Apisa Ibrahim, 47 years old, Rudy Kamsa, 23 years old and Fatima Kamsa, 12 years old elementary pupil were wounded.

          On November 19, 2008, the ABS-CBN Central Mindanao broadcasted the incident with interviews to the victims, who said they were hit by the air strikes by the AFP.

          On November 20, 2008, according to the relatives of the victims, some AFP soldiers visited the victims being confined at Maguindanao Provincial Hospital and asked them to sign a waiver that they were not hit by air strikes of the AFP but by stray bullets from the MILF fighters.

          But the relatives of the victims who requested not to be identified told Luwaran that there was no ground skirmishes between the government and MILF forces when the war planes of the AFP were bombarding them.

          He also said that there was no fighting because the people were busy attending to the activities of the International committee of the Red Cross related to humanitarian assistance.

          Nonetheless, any waiver, perhaps, could not deconstruct the interviews on the victims shown during the TV news report by the ABS-CBN a day prior to the attempt of the AFP soldiers to make the victims sign a waiver.

          The air killer air strikes by the AFP was conducted a day after the Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao (ARMM) State of the Regional Address (SORA) was delivered by honorable Regional Governor Datu Zaldy Puti Uy Ampatuan.

          Several appeals were made to Regional Governor Ampatuan to help the victims get justice from the military atrocities against innocent civilians.

          Governor Ampatuan had recently called on both the government and the MILF to return to the negotiating table.

          Last September 8, 2008, eight (8) civilians mostly children were also killed by the air strikes by the AFO in Barangay Tee, Datu Piang, Maguindanao. There was also no actual fighting on the ground when the AFP fired their air bombs that killed these civilians. Unfortunately, the AFP hierarchy, after its investigation on the case, said there was no crime committed by the AFP soldiers when they killed these innocent civilians.

          However, the Commission on Human Rights investigation said otherwise, saying there was no fighting on the ground and the victims were innocent civilians.

          In the more than four months indiscriminate military operations by the AFP against the MILF in Maguindanao, more or less, 100 innocent civilians were either killed or wounded by the deliberate indiscriminate air and artillery strikes by the AFP.

          ABDULBASIT R.  BENITO
          Executive Director
          Bangsamoro Center for JustPeace Inc.
          BCJP