Re: [justpeaceinasia] We need to act

    Message 1 of 9 , May 9 10:34 AM
      Dear all
      I think that it is wise what Max has advised to get the suggestions from Enha. India is in a friendly relationship with Burma for various reasons extending to the proposed dam and the power project which is upcoming on the Indo-Burmise border.

      However I still stick to the petition part that if we can put some pressure from the friends of other nations that have a friendly relationship with Burma particularly from the West.

      Friends.  This is the time we need some good guidance from the field.  Goldy's suggestion of an online petition is good in some situations, but the military regime takes no notice of such things.  They even choose to ignore an UN statements which call them to change.

      Therefore, I think perhaps we need to identify some country which the military regime is close to and listens to and focus a campaign on them, appealing on them to help bring this atrocity to an end.  This is where guidance from the field is crucial.  What country should we target?  What is the best way to create and focus such a campaitn?  I've been gone from Thailand/Burma for a while now and do not feel qualifed to provide good answers for these questions.  Saw Enha, we need your advice here.

      Dear all:
      Can we come with an online petition to the government of Burma against this onslaught?

      Max: I don't know how to do it. Is it possible? I could sent it to many people on my list and they would sign it.

      Warm regards
      Goldy

      Ehna <ehnadoh@...> wrote:
      Dear Max

      I send this information to Karen friends and also give
      copy to other friends who could suggest and
      contribute.

      I don't know either. I think we should discuss to act.
      I will go inside Burma in the end of this month. It
      will probably take over a month.

      Hope you are doing well.

      Ehna
      --- max ediger <maxediger@...> wrote:

> [...]
      > moved into the southern part of Toungoo Township
      > further north last week, shelling villages and
      > chasing
      > away people, creating 500 new internally displaced
      > people.
      >
      > FBR has documented the torture and killing of a
      > number
      > of Karen in recent weeks. One nine year-old girl, Eh
      > Yawh Paw, was shot in Mon Township on April 9 and
      > survived the attack, only to discover that her
      > father,
      > Maw Keh, and 80-year-old grandmother had been
      > killed.
      > Their bodies were found near Ka Ba Hta on April 19
      > and
      > were believed to have been killed by Burmese troops
      > who swept the area, firing at civilians and
      > destroying
      > rice supplies on March 27. In Mon Township 13
      > villagers have been killed and three wounded by the
      > Burmese Army since recent attacks began.
      >
      > Meanwhile, further reports have documented
      > incidences
      > of decapitation, the extensive laying of landmines
      > in
      > and around villages and the firing of mortar rounds
      > at
      > civilians in Toungoo Township.
      >
      > The current offensive has been concentrated in a
      > north
      > to south corridor running about 75 miles from
      > Toungoo
      > down to Shwegyin in Karen State where the Burmese
      > Army
      > has established new camps and a more permanent
      > presence.
      >
      > Although the fighting is taking place less than 60
      > miles south of Pyinmana in some cases, the KNU
      > believes the new capital has had little to do with
      > the
      > upsurge in attacks, although the bigger troop
      > presence
      > in the area has made skirmishes more likely.
      >
      > The Army instead appears to be cutting off the Karen
      > on the westerly plains from the hills further east
      > in
      > a bid to strangle the Karen insurgency movement, FBR
      > and KNU say. The area is now said to be littered
      > with
      > landmines.
      >
      > The result has been the displacement of more than
      > 11,000 people. More than 1,000 have fled east in the
      > direction of the Salween River on the Burmese side
      > of
      > the border with Thailand, the FBR said on April 25.
      > About 400 of these have crossed the frontier and
      > entered Thai refugee camps, the Committee for
      > Internally Displaced Karen People said.

      >         Visit my web page at http://daga.dhs.org/max
      >

      >   “You don't make peace by talking to your friends;
      > you have to make peace with your enemies.” Nelson
      > Mandela
      >
      >   "It's not enough to pull drowning victims out of
      > the river; we need to walk back upstream and find
      > out who's throwing them in."  Bishop V. Gene

      Convenor
      Dalit Study Circle,
      Raipur, Chhattisgarh
      Creation of a casteless and peaceful society is indeed the first step towards just, egalitarian, and harmonious society. A society of equals, neither unequal nor more-equals, beyond the strings of caste, class, gender, race, etc. Otherwise it would lead to social oppression, political exploitation, economic deprivation, cultural domination, gender discrimination, class isolation, deliberate exclusion. Lets’ believe in a society beyond this.