Re: [justpeaceinasia] We need to act

  • Ehna
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 25, 2006
      Dear Max

      I send this information to Karen friends and also give
      copy to other friends who could suggest and
      contribute.

      I don't know either. I think we should discuss to act.
      I will go inside Burma in the end of this month. It
      will probably take over a month.

      Hope you are doing well.

      Ehna

    • jerome cham
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 25, 2006
        Dear Ehna and Max,

        Thank for the information regarding the situation on the Karen people. Please let us know the suggestions where we could the international community for the advocacy on this regard.

        Yours
        Jerome

        --- max ediger wrote:

> [...]
        > a bid to strangle the Karen insurgency movement, FBR
        > and KNU say. The area is now said to be littered
        > with
        > landmines.
        >
        > The result has been the displacement of more than
        > 11,000 people. More than 1,000 have fled east in the
        > direction of the Salween River on the Burmese side
        > of
        > the border with Thailand, the FBR said on April 25.
        > About 400 of these have crossed the frontier and
        > entered Thai refugee camps, the Committee for
        > Internally Displaced Karen People said.

        > Visit my web page at http://daga.dhs.org/max
        >

        > “You don't make peace by talking to your friends;
        > you have to make peace with your enemies.” Nelson
        > Mandela
        >
        > "It's not enough to pull drowning victims out of
        > the river; we need to walk back upstream and find
        > out who's throwing them in." Bishop V. Gene

        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        Jerome De Porres,
        "Forgiveness never change your past but it enlarge your future"

        Message 3 of 9 , May 1 12:27 PM
          Dear all:
          Can we come with an online petition to the government of Burma against this onslaught?

          Max: I don't know how to do it. Is it possible? I could sent it to many people on my list and they would sign it.

          Warm regards
          Goldy

          --- max ediger <maxediger@...> wrote:

> [...]
          > a bid to strangle the Karen insurgency movement, FBR
          > and KNU say. The area is now said to be littered
          > with
          > landmines.
          >
          > The result has been the displacement of more than
          > 11,000 people. More than 1,000 have fled east in the
          > direction of the Salween River on the Burmese side
          > of
          > the border with Thailand, the FBR said on April 25.
          > About 400 of these have crossed the frontier and
          > entered Thai refugee camps, the Committee for
          > Internally Displaced Karen People said.

          >         Visit my web page at http://daga.dhs.org/max
          >

          >   “You don't make peace by talking to your friends;
          > you have to make peace with your enemies.” Nelson
          > Mandela
          >
          >   "It's not enough to pull drowning victims out of
          > the river; we need to walk back upstream and find
          > out who's throwing them in."  Bishop V. Gene

          Convenor
          Dalit Study Circle,
          Raipur, Chhattisgarh
          Creation of a casteless and peaceful society is indeed the first step towards just, egalitarian, and harmonious society. A society of equals, neither unequal nor more-equals, beyond the strings of caste, class, gender, race, etc. Otherwise it would lead to social oppression, political exploitation, economic deprivation, cultural domination, gender discrimination, class isolation, deliberate exclusion. Lets’ believe in a society beyond this.

          Message 4 of 9 , May 3 1:15 AM
            Friends.  This is the time we need some good guidance from the field.  Goldy's suggestion of an online petition is good in some situations, but the military regime takes no notice of such things.  They even choose to ignore an UN statements which call them to change.

            Therefore, I think perhaps we need to identify some country which the military regime is close to and listens to and focus a campaign on them, appealing on them to help bring this atrocity to an end.  This is where guidance from the field is crucial.  What country should we target?  What is the best way to create and focus such a campaitn?  I've been gone from Thailand/Burma for a while now and do not feel qualifed to provide good answers for these questions.  Saw Enha, we need your advice here.

            Message 5 of 9 , May 9 10:34 AM
              Dear all
              I think that it is wise what Max has advised to get the suggestions from Enha. India is in a friendly relationship with Burma for various reasons extending to the proposed dam and the power project which is upcoming on the Indo-Burmise border.

              However I still stick to the petition part that if we can put some pressure from the friends of other nations that have a friendly relationship with Burma particularly from the West.