Re: [justpeaceinasia] We need to act

    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 25 7:24 PM
      Saw Ehna:  This is very disturbing information and indicates that nothing is improving in Burma.  How do you suggest we act?  I agree that we must do something.

      max

      Ehna <ehnadoh@...> wrote:
      Dear Friends,

      Regarding the Burmese offensive against Karen
      population in Taw Oo and Kler Lwe Htoo, forcing
      thousand of Karen from their home and take over the
      areas. The devastating continuce.

      There is no outcry for the Karen communtiy and
      international either. I think we should come together
      and act now, to campaign to stop this....

      There is not just sit and sypathize on the people, and
      only raising fund.

      We need to cometoether and act.

      Ehna

      Burmese Army’s Karen Attacks “Worst Since 1997”
      By Clive Parker
      April 25, 2006

      Burmese Army offensives against rebels and civilians
      in Karen State are the largest for nearly ten years,
      creating more than 11,000 newly displaced people,
      Karen rebels and medical relief teams say.

      They say attacks have slowly escalated in the past two
      months, a period when the Burmese Army traditionally
      launches offensives against insurgents ahead of the
      wet season from May until October. However, the Karen
      National Liberation Army and Free Burma Rangers say
      the current offensive is on a scale not seen since the
      Burmese Army seized great swathes of Karen state in
      attacks that prompted thousands of people to flee to
      Thailand in 1997.

      “The situation in western and northern Karen State is
      now worse than at any time since,” the FBR told The
      Irrawaddy.

      A Karen National Union official in Mon Township warned
      that “the coming rains may not stop these attacks.”
      The KNLA has received intelligence that the army has
      continued to send supplies of food and troops to army
      camps in the area, suggesting the junta may be
      planning a longer term campaign.

      The attacks have already caused widespread
      devastation, according to witnesses. Reports say the
      Burmese Army is deliberately destroying anything it
      believes will help sustain the Karen resistance. Whole
      villages have been burned down, including food
      supplies and cooking equipment—a common tactic by the
      military, the Karen said.

      Burmese soldiers based at Play Htsa Lo army camp in
      Mon Township told a local headman that people in the
      villages of Yu Loe and K’mu Loh would be killed if any
      were seen in the area after April 20.

      There are also reports that a new force of more than
      850 Burmese troops from an army camp in Muthey, Mon
      Township began moving south in three columns on Sunday
      in what appeared to be a new part of the offensive.
      Three battalions of Military Operations Command 16
      moved into the southern part of Toungoo Township
      further north last week, shelling villages and chasing
      away people, creating 500 new internally displaced
      people.

      FBR has documented the torture and killing of a number
      of Karen in recent weeks. One nine year-old girl, Eh
      Yawh Paw, was shot in Mon Township on April 9 and
      survived the attack, only to discover that her father,
      Maw Keh, and 80-year-old grandmother had been killed.
      Their bodies were found near Ka Ba Hta on April 19 and
      were believed to have been killed by Burmese troops
      who swept the area, firing at civilians and destroying
      rice supplies on March 27. In Mon Township 13
      villagers have been killed and three wounded by the
      Burmese Army since recent attacks began.

      Meanwhile, further reports have documented incidences
      of decapitation, the extensive laying of landmines in
      and around villages and the firing of mortar rounds at
      civilians in Toungoo Township.

      The current offensive has been concentrated in a north
      to south corridor running about 75 miles from Toungoo
      down to Shwegyin in Karen State where the Burmese Army
      has established new camps and a more permanent
      presence.

      Although the fighting is taking place less than 60
      miles south of Pyinmana in some cases, the KNU
      believes the new capital has had little to do with the
      upsurge in attacks, although the bigger troop presence
      in the area has made skirmishes more likely.

      The Army instead appears to be cutting off the Karen
      on the westerly plains from the hills further east in
      a bid to strangle the Karen insurgency movement, FBR
      and KNU say. The area is now said to be littered with
      landmines.

      The result has been the displacement of more than
      11,000 people. More than 1,000 have fled east in the
      direction of the Salween River on the Burmese side of
      the border with Thailand, the FBR said on April 25.
      About 400 of these have crossed the frontier and
      entered Thai refugee camps, the Committee for
      Internally Displaced Karen People said.

      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      “You don't make peace by talking to your friends; you have to make peace with your enemies.” Nelson Mandela

      "It's not enough to pull drowning victims out of the river; we need to walk back upstream and find out who's throwing them in."  Bishop V. Gene Robinson

    • Ehna
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 25 8:27 PM
        Dear Max

        I send this information to Karen friends and also give
        copy to other friends who could suggest and
        contribute.

        I don't know either. I think we should discuss to act.
        I will go inside Burma in the end of this month. It
        will probably take over a month.

        Hope you are doing well.

        Ehna

      • jerome cham
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 25 9:48 PM
          Dear Ehna and Max,

          Thank for the information regarding the situation on the Karen people. Please let us know the suggestions where we could the international community for the advocacy on this regard.

          Yours
          Jerome

          --- max ediger wrote:

> [...]
          > a bid to strangle the Karen insurgency movement, FBR
          > and KNU say. The area is now said to be littered
          > with
          > landmines.
          >
          > The result has been the displacement of more than
          > 11,000 people. More than 1,000 have fled east in the
          > direction of the Salween River on the Burmese side
          > of
          > the border with Thailand, the FBR said on April 25.
          > About 400 of these have crossed the frontier and
          > entered Thai refugee camps, the Committee for
          > Internally Displaced Karen People said.

          > Visit my web page at http://daga.dhs.org/max
          >

          > “You don't make peace by talking to your friends;
          > you have to make peace with your enemies.” Nelson
          > Mandela
          >
          > "It's not enough to pull drowning victims out of
          > the river; we need to walk back upstream and find
          > out who's throwing them in." Bishop V. Gene

          Jerome De Porres,
          "Forgiveness never change your past but it enlarge your future"

          Message 4 of 9 , May 1, 2006
            Dear all:
            Can we come with an online petition to the government of Burma against this onslaught?

            Max: I don't know how to do it. Is it possible? I could sent it to many people on my list and they would sign it.

            Warm regards
            Goldy

            --- max ediger <maxediger@...> wrote:

> [...]
            > a bid to strangle the Karen insurgency movement, FBR
            > and KNU say. The area is now said to be littered
            > with
            > landmines.
            >
            > The result has been the displacement of more than
            > 11,000 people. More than 1,000 have fled east in the
            > direction of the Salween River on the Burmese side
            > of
            > the border with Thailand, the FBR said on April 25.
            > About 400 of these have crossed the frontier and
            > entered Thai refugee camps, the Committee for
            > Internally Displaced Karen People said.

            >         Visit my web page at http://daga.dhs.org/max
            >

            >   “You don't make peace by talking to your friends;
            > you have to make peace with your enemies.” Nelson
            > Mandela
            >
            >   "It's not enough to pull drowning victims out of
            > the river; we need to walk back upstream and find
            > out who's throwing them in."  Bishop V. Gene

            Convenor
            Dalit Study Circle,
            Raipur, Chhattisgarh
            Creation of a casteless and peaceful society is indeed the first step towards just, egalitarian, and harmonious society. A society of equals, neither unequal nor more-equals, beyond the strings of caste, class, gender, race, etc. Otherwise it would lead to social oppression, political exploitation, economic deprivation, cultural domination, gender discrimination, class isolation, deliberate exclusion. Lets’ believe in a society beyond this.

            Message 5 of 9 , May 3, 2006
              Friends.  This is the time we need some good guidance from the field.  Goldy's suggestion of an online petition is good in some situations, but the military regime takes no notice of such things.  They even choose to ignore an UN statements which call them to change.

              Therefore, I think perhaps we need to identify some country which the military regime is close to and listens to and focus a campaign on them, appealing on them to help bring this atrocity to an end.  This is where guidance from the field is crucial.  What country should we target?  What is the best way to create and focus such a campaitn?  I've been gone from Thailand/Burma for a while now and do not feel qualifed to provide good answers for these questions.  Saw Enha, we need your advice here.

              Message 6 of 9 , May 9, 2006
                Dear all
                I think that it is wise what Max has advised to get the suggestions from Enha. India is in a friendly relationship with Burma for various reasons extending to the proposed dam and the power project which is upcoming on the Indo-Burmise border.

                However I still stick to the petition part that if we can put some pressure from the friends of other nations that have a friendly relationship with Burma particularly from the West.