Five Burmese legislators seek asylum at Karen camp

  • Ehna
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 25, 2006
      The Nation: Five Burmese legislators seek asylum at
      Karen camp
      Mon 24 Apr 2006
      Filed under: News, On The Border
      April 22, Five Burmese lawmakers arrived at a rebel
      Karen National Union camp near the Thai border
      yesterday, saying they had fled Burma because they
      feared persecution by its military government.

      Saw Tar Ru Too, 65, an MP from the National Union
      Party, and U Chit Tun, 60, a member of the National
      League for Democracy (NLD), talked to reporters at the
      Valee Key camp on the Burmese side of the border
      adjacent to Tak’s Phob Phra district.

      Saw Tar, a native of the Karenni State, said he
      formerly worked for the government as a community
      coordinator, but that the junta had increasingly been
      suppressing the people, offering apologies but not
      taking action in response to complaints.

      He said that the Burma’s political situation is mired
      in crisis.

      Before he fled for the Thai border, he was working
      with a non-governmental organization assisting eight
      rural medical clinics. He said the government was
      sceptical about his work and had interrogated him
      while preparing to arrest him on charges of treason,
      which prompted him to flee.

      Chit Tun said that he left Rangoon because Burmese
      soldiers had arrested the NLD’s Rangoon Province
      committee chairman, Aung Teng. He said he had learned
      that the government was also planning to arrest him,
      so he had fled on 1 April. “I was arrested before on
      charges of participating in a political movement and
      given a sentence of 23 years, but then it was reduced
      to two years. If I am arrested again, the sentence
      would be doubled (46 years). So I thought I had to
      find a way out. I would rather escape from the country
      and fight rather than let them arrest me,” said Chit
      Tun.

      He said he believed that the government had staged
      five explosions that rattled the downtown area of
      Rangoon on Thursday [20 April]. No-one was injured.

      He said that he would continue to work with former
      Burmese politicians along the border to peacefully
      oppose the current leadership.

      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 25, 2006
        Saw Ehna:  This is very disturbing information and indicates that nothing is improving in Burma.  How do you suggest we act?  I agree that we must do something.

        max

        Ehna <ehnadoh@...> wrote:
        Dear Friends,

        Regarding the Burmese offensive against Karen
        population in Taw Oo and Kler Lwe Htoo, forcing
        thousand of Karen from their home and take over the
        areas. The devastating continuce.

        There is no outcry for the Karen communtiy and
        international either. I think we should come together
        and act now, to campaign to stop this....

        There is not just sit and sypathize on the people, and
        only raising fund.

        We need to cometoether and act.

        Ehna

        Burmese Army’s Karen Attacks “Worst Since 1997”
        By Clive Parker
        April 25, 2006

        Burmese Army offensives against rebels and civilians
        in Karen State are the largest for nearly ten years,
        creating more than 11,000 newly displaced people,
        Karen rebels and medical relief teams say.

        They say attacks have slowly escalated in the past two
        months, a period when the Burmese Army traditionally
        launches offensives against insurgents ahead of the
        wet season from May until October. However, the Karen
        National Liberation Army and Free Burma Rangers say
        the current offensive is on a scale not seen since the
        Burmese Army seized great swathes of Karen state in
        attacks that prompted thousands of people to flee to
        Thailand in 1997.

        “The situation in western and northern Karen State is
        now worse than at any time since,” the FBR told The
        Irrawaddy.

        A Karen National Union official in Mon Township warned
        that “the coming rains may not stop these attacks.”
        The KNLA has received intelligence that the army has
        continued to send supplies of food and troops to army
        camps in the area, suggesting the junta may be
        planning a longer term campaign.

        The attacks have already caused widespread
        devastation, according to witnesses. Reports say the
        Burmese Army is deliberately destroying anything it
        believes will help sustain the Karen resistance. Whole
        villages have been burned down, including food
        supplies and cooking equipment—a common tactic by the
        military, the Karen said.

        Burmese soldiers based at Play Htsa Lo army camp in
        Mon Township told a local headman that people in the
        villages of Yu Loe and K’mu Loh would be killed if any
        were seen in the area after April 20.

        There are also reports that a new force of more than
        850 Burmese troops from an army camp in Muthey, Mon
        Township began moving south in three columns on Sunday
        in what appeared to be a new part of the offensive.
        Three battalions of Military Operations Command 16
        moved into the southern part of Toungoo Township
        further north last week, shelling villages and chasing
        away people, creating 500 new internally displaced
        people.

        FBR has documented the torture and killing of a number
        of Karen in recent weeks. One nine year-old girl, Eh
        Yawh Paw, was shot in Mon Township on April 9 and
        survived the attack, only to discover that her father,
        Maw Keh, and 80-year-old grandmother had been killed.
        Their bodies were found near Ka Ba Hta on April 19 and
        were believed to have been killed by Burmese troops
        who swept the area, firing at civilians and destroying
        rice supplies on March 27. In Mon Township 13
        villagers have been killed and three wounded by the
        Burmese Army since recent attacks began.

        Meanwhile, further reports have documented incidences
        of decapitation, the extensive laying of landmines in
        and around villages and the firing of mortar rounds at
        civilians in Toungoo Township.

        The current offensive has been concentrated in a north
        to south corridor running about 75 miles from Toungoo
        down to Shwegyin in Karen State where the Burmese Army
        has established new camps and a more permanent
        presence.

        Although the fighting is taking place less than 60
        miles south of Pyinmana in some cases, the KNU
        believes the new capital has had little to do with the
        upsurge in attacks, although the bigger troop presence
        in the area has made skirmishes more likely.

        The Army instead appears to be cutting off the Karen
        on the westerly plains from the hills further east in
        a bid to strangle the Karen insurgency movement, FBR
        and KNU say. The area is now said to be littered with
        landmines.

        The result has been the displacement of more than
        11,000 people. More than 1,000 have fled east in the
        direction of the Salween River on the Burmese side of
        the border with Thailand, the FBR said on April 25.
        About 400 of these have crossed the frontier and
        entered Thai refugee camps, the Committee for
        Internally Displaced Karen People said.

        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        “You don't make peace by talking to your friends; you have to make peace with your enemies.” Nelson Mandela

        "It's not enough to pull drowning victims out of the river; we need to walk back upstream and find out who's throwing them in."  Bishop V. Gene Robinson

      • Ehna
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 25, 2006
          Dear Max

          I send this information to Karen friends and also give
          copy to other friends who could suggest and
          contribute.

          I don't know either. I think we should discuss to act.
          I will go inside Burma in the end of this month. It
          will probably take over a month.

          Hope you are doing well.

          Ehna

        • jerome cham
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 25, 2006
            Dear Ehna and Max,

            Thank for the information regarding the situation on the Karen people. Please let us know the suggestions where we could the international community for the advocacy on this regard.

            Yours
            Jerome

            --- max ediger wrote:

> [...]
            > a bid to strangle the Karen insurgency movement, FBR
            > and KNU say. The area is now said to be littered
            > with
            > landmines.
            >
            > The result has been the displacement of more than
            > 11,000 people. More than 1,000 have fled east in the
            > direction of the Salween River on the Burmese side
            > of
            > the border with Thailand, the FBR said on April 25.
            > About 400 of these have crossed the frontier and
            > entered Thai refugee camps, the Committee for
            > Internally Displaced Karen People said.

            > Visit my web page at http://daga.dhs.org/max
            >

            > “You don't make peace by talking to your friends;
            > you have to make peace with your enemies.” Nelson
            > Mandela
            >
            > "It's not enough to pull drowning victims out of
            > the river; we need to walk back upstream and find
            > out who's throwing them in." Bishop V. Gene

            Jerome De Porres,
            "Forgiveness never change your past but it enlarge your future"

            Message 5 of 9 , May 1, 2006
              Dear all:
              Can we come with an online petition to the government of Burma against this onslaught?

              Max: I don't know how to do it. Is it possible? I could sent it to many people on my list and they would sign it.

              Warm regards
              Goldy

              --- max ediger <maxediger@...> wrote:

> [...]
              > a bid to strangle the Karen insurgency movement, FBR
              > and KNU say. The area is now said to be littered
              > with
              > landmines.
              >
              > The result has been the displacement of more than
              > 11,000 people. More than 1,000 have fled east in the
              > direction of the Salween River on the Burmese side
              > of
              > the border with Thailand, the FBR said on April 25.
              > About 400 of these have crossed the frontier and
              > entered Thai refugee camps, the Committee for
              > Internally Displaced Karen People said.

              >         Visit my web page at http://daga.dhs.org/max
              >

              >   “You don't make peace by talking to your friends;
              > you have to make peace with your enemies.” Nelson
              > Mandela
              >
              >   "It's not enough to pull drowning victims out of
              > the river; we need to walk back upstream and find
              > out who's throwing them in."  Bishop V. Gene

              Convenor
              Dalit Study Circle,
              Raipur, Chhattisgarh
              Creation of a casteless and peaceful society is indeed the first step towards just, egalitarian, and harmonious society. A society of equals, neither unequal nor more-equals, beyond the strings of caste, class, gender, race, etc. Otherwise it would lead to social oppression, political exploitation, economic deprivation, cultural domination, gender discrimination, class isolation, deliberate exclusion. Lets’ believe in a society beyond this.

              Message 6 of 9 , May 3, 2006
                Friends.  This is the time we need some good guidance from the field.  Goldy's suggestion of an online petition is good in some situations, but the military regime takes no notice of such things.  They even choose to ignore an UN statements which call them to change.

                Therefore, I think perhaps we need to identify some country which the military regime is close to and listens to and focus a campaign on them, appealing on them to help bring this atrocity to an end.  This is where guidance from the field is crucial.  What country should we target?  What is the best way to create and focus such a campaitn?  I've been gone from Thailand/Burma for a while now and do not feel qualifed to provide good answers for these questions.  Saw Enha, we need your advice here.

                Message 7 of 9 , May 9, 2006
                  Dear all
                  I think that it is wise what Max has advised to get the suggestions from Enha. India is in a friendly relationship with Burma for various reasons extending to the proposed dam and the power project which is upcoming on the Indo-Burmise border.

                  However I still stick to the petition part that if we can put some pressure from the friends of other nations that have a friendly relationship with Burma particularly from the West.