The Mouse and the Light

  • Trisha Niemeyer
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 25, 2006
      As an encouragement to continue to find stories of peace in your own country contexts, I am forwarding a story I found online at http://www.mideastweb.org/mouselight.htm. Please continue to keep your eyes open to the stories of peace that exist around you, and remember to share them with the group so that we can continue to build our collection of Asian stories, folktales, and myths as part of our Justpeace Education Resource Kit.

      Peace,
      Trisha

      The Mouse and the Light

      By Lisa Suhay

      "Dedicated to the children of the world who have seen The Shadow. With this story you are given the power of the light. Go out and shine." - Lisa Suhay

      In the center of the most beautiful garden in the world stood the Tree of Wisdom. From this great tree there grew many branches and leaves. It spread its roots throughout the land. The tree was a place of comfort. Creatures would often come to it and sit in its shade and feel its great truths.

      For many years there was harmony. Then one day a shade from one long branch decided that it was not happy.

      The shade did not wish to give comfort or shelter.

      "Fools," cried the shade as it spread beneath the tree. "I know more than any of them. I am not made to serve. I should rule over everything."

      And so it was that in pride and hatred the shade tugged and pulled and stretched itself until at last it was able to break its attachment to the great tree.

      It became the first shadow.

      Instead of using its power to give shade, it created a cold darkness that blinded all those it touched to the truth.

      Instead of using its voice to impart great truths to those around it, The Shadow whispered only lies.

      The Shadow crept away from the Tree of Wisdom and drifted far into a barren place where it crawled into a hole in the sand. It sank deep into the earth.

      The Shadow grew and plotted. It would wait beneath the surface until a sad or doubting creature came near. Then The Shadow would rise up and overtake the unsuspecting creature and blind it to truth and bend it to its will.

      Over many years and many miles the shadow created an underground army. Then the army of The Shadow began to strike without warning bringing fear, sadness and hate to innocent creatures.

      "You cannot fight. I will win," it lied.

      Some began to hide and fear the very light of day, for they thought that it was the cause of The Shadow. Others began to hate and fear all the shade of the world, not being able to tell the difference between shade and shadow.

      It came to pass that creatures began to feel anger toward all things different from themselves. They even became afraid of their own shadows. They stayed in their homes.  When they went out they didn't go far.

      One day a field mouse went to the Tree of Wisdom, shook its small fist and shouted, "How could you create such a terror upon us? Why is this allowed to continue?"

      The great tree bowed its huge trunk. It shook and leaves fell like tears. But it did not answer.

      Then a voice spoke from all around, "I created light and darkness. I made creatures great and small. To one and all I gave the power to build or destroy, bring joy or pain. One among you has chosen darkness and pain. This is not my wish."

      Though dazzled by being in the presence of this great power the Mouse was still angry. "Why do you not stop The Shadow?" cried the Mouse.

      "Because I have given that power to those The Shadow harms. The Shadow has grown through the lack of caring in creatures. Now it is your job to stop it," the great voice answered.

      The Voice told the mouse how to win.

      "You cannot live in fear. Fear only makes The Shadow grow. To be rid of darkness - shine a powerful light of truth. To be rid of cold - bring only warmth wherever you go."

      The Mouse answered, "I will go out and tell the others what you taught me. I will remember not to hate, because hate makes The Shadow stronger."

      But Mouse worried, "I am only one small being and the shadows are now many. How can I ever hope to succeed?"

      Suddenly Mouse was surrounded in a beautiful golden light and warmth, "You will know that as The Shadow began with one small dark being; now the light will grow with you, my small messenger."

      So it was that one tiny creature set out into the world. With every kind word and every truth it spoke, the world around it healed. Others joined the mouse and soon the light grew and the shadows faded. One by one, The Shadow's followers fell before the mouse and the light.The Shadow sank back into its hole in the earth, vanishing like drops of water in the burning sands of time.

    • Ehna
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 25, 2006
        Dear Friends,

        Regarding the Burmese offensive against Karen
        population in Taw Oo and Kler Lwe Htoo, forcing
        thousand of Karen from their home and take over the
        areas. The devastating continuce.

        There is no outcry for the Karen communtiy and
        international either. I think we should come together
        and act now, to campaign to stop this....

        There is not just sit and sypathize on the people, and
        only raising fund.

        We need to cometoether and act.

        Ehna

        Burmese Army’s Karen Attacks “Worst Since 1997”
        By Clive Parker
        April 25, 2006

        Burmese Army offensives against rebels and civilians
        in Karen State are the largest for nearly ten years,
        creating more than 11,000 newly displaced people,
        Karen rebels and medical relief teams say.

        They say attacks have slowly escalated in the past two
        months, a period when the Burmese Army traditionally
        launches offensives against insurgents ahead of the
        wet season from May until October. However, the Karen
        National Liberation Army and Free Burma Rangers say
        the current offensive is on a scale not seen since the
        Burmese Army seized great swathes of Karen state in
        attacks that prompted thousands of people to flee to
        Thailand in 1997.

        “The situation in western and northern Karen State is
        now worse than at any time since,” the FBR told The
        Irrawaddy.

        A Karen National Union official in Mon Township warned
        that “the coming rains may not stop these attacks.”
        The KNLA has received intelligence that the army has
        continued to send supplies of food and troops to army
        camps in the area, suggesting the junta may be
        planning a longer term campaign.

        The attacks have already caused widespread
        devastation, according to witnesses. Reports say the
        Burmese Army is deliberately destroying anything it
        believes will help sustain the Karen resistance. Whole
        villages have been burned down, including food
        supplies and cooking equipment—a common tactic by the
        military, the Karen said.

        Burmese soldiers based at Play Htsa Lo army camp in
        Mon Township told a local headman that people in the
        villages of Yu Loe and K’mu Loh would be killed if any
        were seen in the area after April 20.

        There are also reports that a new force of more than
        850 Burmese troops from an army camp in Muthey, Mon
        Township began moving south in three columns on Sunday
        in what appeared to be a new part of the offensive.
        Three battalions of Military Operations Command 16
        moved into the southern part of Toungoo Township
        further north last week, shelling villages and chasing
        away people, creating 500 new internally displaced
        people.

        FBR has documented the torture and killing of a number
        of Karen in recent weeks. One nine year-old girl, Eh
        Yawh Paw, was shot in Mon Township on April 9 and
        survived the attack, only to discover that her father,
        Maw Keh, and 80-year-old grandmother had been killed.
        Their bodies were found near Ka Ba Hta on April 19 and
        were believed to have been killed by Burmese troops
        who swept the area, firing at civilians and destroying
        rice supplies on March 27. In Mon Township 13
        villagers have been killed and three wounded by the
        Burmese Army since recent attacks began.

        Meanwhile, further reports have documented incidences
        of decapitation, the extensive laying of landmines in
        and around villages and the firing of mortar rounds at
        civilians in Toungoo Township.

        The current offensive has been concentrated in a north
        to south corridor running about 75 miles from Toungoo
        down to Shwegyin in Karen State where the Burmese Army
        has established new camps and a more permanent
        presence.

        Although the fighting is taking place less than 60
        miles south of Pyinmana in some cases, the KNU
        believes the new capital has had little to do with the
        upsurge in attacks, although the bigger troop presence
        in the area has made skirmishes more likely.

        The Army instead appears to be cutting off the Karen
        on the westerly plains from the hills further east in
        a bid to strangle the Karen insurgency movement, FBR
        and KNU say. The area is now said to be littered with
        landmines.

        The result has been the displacement of more than
        11,000 people. More than 1,000 have fled east in the
        direction of the Salween River on the Burmese side of
        the border with Thailand, the FBR said on April 25.
        About 400 of these have crossed the frontier and
        entered Thai refugee camps, the Committee for
        Internally Displaced Karen People said.

      • Ehna
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 25, 2006
          The Nation: Five Burmese legislators seek asylum at
          Karen camp
          Mon 24 Apr 2006
          Filed under: News, On The Border
          April 22, Five Burmese lawmakers arrived at a rebel
          Karen National Union camp near the Thai border
          yesterday, saying they had fled Burma because they
          feared persecution by its military government.

          Saw Tar Ru Too, 65, an MP from the National Union
          Party, and U Chit Tun, 60, a member of the National
          League for Democracy (NLD), talked to reporters at the
          Valee Key camp on the Burmese side of the border
          adjacent to Tak’s Phob Phra district.

          Saw Tar, a native of the Karenni State, said he
          formerly worked for the government as a community
          coordinator, but that the junta had increasingly been
          suppressing the people, offering apologies but not
          taking action in response to complaints.

          He said that the Burma’s political situation is mired
          in crisis.

          Before he fled for the Thai border, he was working
          with a non-governmental organization assisting eight
          rural medical clinics. He said the government was
          sceptical about his work and had interrogated him
          while preparing to arrest him on charges of treason,
          which prompted him to flee.

          Chit Tun said that he left Rangoon because Burmese
          soldiers had arrested the NLD’s Rangoon Province
          committee chairman, Aung Teng. He said he had learned
          that the government was also planning to arrest him,
          so he had fled on 1 April. “I was arrested before on
          charges of participating in a political movement and
          given a sentence of 23 years, but then it was reduced
          to two years. If I am arrested again, the sentence
          would be doubled (46 years). So I thought I had to
          find a way out. I would rather escape from the country
          and fight rather than let them arrest me,” said Chit
          Tun.

          He said he believed that the government had staged
          five explosions that rattled the downtown area of
          Rangoon on Thursday [20 April]. No-one was injured.

          He said that he would continue to work with former
          Burmese politicians along the border to peacefully
          oppose the current leadership.

          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 25, 2006
            Saw Ehna:  This is very disturbing information and indicates that nothing is improving in Burma.  How do you suggest we act?  I agree that we must do something.

            max

            Ehna <ehnadoh@...> wrote:
[...]

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            “You don't make peace by talking to your friends; you have to make peace with your enemies.” Nelson Mandela

            "It's not enough to pull drowning victims out of the river; we need to walk back upstream and find out who's throwing them in."  Bishop V. Gene Robinson

          • Ehna
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 25, 2006
              Dear Max

              I send this information to Karen friends and also give
              copy to other friends who could suggest and
              contribute.

              I don't know either. I think we should discuss to act.
              I will go inside Burma in the end of this month. It
              will probably take over a month.

              Hope you are doing well.

              Ehna

            • jerome cham
              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 25, 2006
                Dear Ehna and Max,

                Thank for the information regarding the situation on the Karen people. Please let us know the suggestions where we could the international community for the advocacy on this regard.

                Yours
                Jerome

                --- max ediger wrote:

> [...]
                > a bid to strangle the Karen insurgency movement, FBR
                > and KNU say. The area is now said to be littered
                > with
                > landmines.
                >
                > The result has been the displacement of more than
                > 11,000 people. More than 1,000 have fled east in the
                > direction of the Salween River on the Burmese side
                > of
                > the border with Thailand, the FBR said on April 25.
                > About 400 of these have crossed the frontier and
                > entered Thai refugee camps, the Committee for
                > Internally Displaced Karen People said.

                > Visit my web page at http://daga.dhs.org/max
                >

                > “You don't make peace by talking to your friends;
                > you have to make peace with your enemies.” Nelson
                > Mandela
                >
                > "It's not enough to pull drowning victims out of
                > the river; we need to walk back upstream and find
                > out who's throwing them in." Bishop V. Gene

                Jerome De Porres,
                "Forgiveness never change your past but it enlarge your future"

                Message 7 of 9 , May 1, 2006
                  Dear all:
                  Can we come with an online petition to the government of Burma against this onslaught?

                  Max: I don't know how to do it. Is it possible? I could sent it to many people on my list and they would sign it.

                  Warm regards
                  Goldy

                  --- max ediger <maxediger@...> wrote:

> [...]
                  > a bid to strangle the Karen insurgency movement, FBR
                  > and KNU say. The area is now said to be littered
                  > with
                  > landmines.
                  >
                  > The result has been the displacement of more than
                  > 11,000 people. More than 1,000 have fled east in the
                  > direction of the Salween River on the Burmese side
                  > of
                  > the border with Thailand, the FBR said on April 25.
                  > About 400 of these have crossed the frontier and
                  > entered Thai refugee camps, the Committee for
                  > Internally Displaced Karen People said.

                  >         Visit my web page at http://daga.dhs.org/max
                  >

                  >   “You don't make peace by talking to your friends;
                  > you have to make peace with your enemies.” Nelson
                  > Mandela
                  >
                  >   "It's not enough to pull drowning victims out of
                  > the river; we need to walk back upstream and find
                  > out who's throwing them in."  Bishop V. Gene

                  Convenor
                  Dalit Study Circle,
                  Raipur, Chhattisgarh
                  Creation of a casteless and peaceful society is indeed the first step towards just, egalitarian, and harmonious society. A society of equals, neither unequal nor more-equals, beyond the strings of caste, class, gender, race, etc. Otherwise it would lead to social oppression, political exploitation, economic deprivation, cultural domination, gender discrimination, class isolation, deliberate exclusion. Lets’ believe in a society beyond this.

                  Message 8 of 9 , May 3, 2006
                    Friends.  This is the time we need some good guidance from the field.  Goldy's suggestion of an online petition is good in some situations, but the military regime takes no notice of such things.  They even choose to ignore an UN statements which call them to change.

                    Therefore, I think perhaps we need to identify some country which the military regime is close to and listens to and focus a campaign on them, appealing on them to help bring this atrocity to an end.  This is where guidance from the field is crucial.  What country should we target?  What is the best way to create and focus such a campaitn?  I've been gone from Thailand/Burma for a while now and do not feel qualifed to provide good answers for these questions.  Saw Enha, we need your advice here.

                    Message 9 of 9 , May 9, 2006
                      Dear all
                      I think that it is wise what Max has advised to get the suggestions from Enha. India is in a friendly relationship with Burma for various reasons extending to the proposed dam and the power project which is upcoming on the Indo-Burmise border.

                      However I still stick to the petition part that if we can put some pressure from the friends of other nations that have a friendly relationship with Burma particularly from the West.