Re: [justpeaceinasia] CJPA in 2006

  • jerome cham
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 22, 2005
      Dear Max,

      Greetings!

      Ya, after a long time. Hope you and all are doing well there. Its christmas season..... ready? I was really busy with my works here. A good news.... I will spend my new year holidays in India (Trichchi).

      well regarding the CJPA, its really nice to know that our selected group will going to began our activities in 2006 for a better life our communities. This group will help you and the CJPA for a great job for sure. I will try to contact the star(*) people for their support to CJPA as well. Mmm... anothere good news Madushanka (the YMCA guy) is also married. I met him in Kandy at their Christmas carols.

      Hope everything is fine there and thanks for the good information about the WTO. I will get back to you soon.

      Take care and give my regards to all

      Wish you a blessed Christmas and a happy new year.....

      Jerome

      max ediger <maxediger@...> wrote:
      Dear Justpeace friends:

      Several months back we discussed the idea of inviting 6 (six) CJPA friends to work with me as a working committee.  Every two years, two of these would be replaced so that we can revolve the responsibility of helping plan and put CJPA program together among all of us.

      Now, as we end 2005 and prepare to enter 2006, I would like to initiate that.  For the first six-member working group I would like to invite the following friends to work with me as the first working group.

      1. Jae Young Lee
      2. Nhek Sophearith
      3. Charles Brownson
      4. To Thi Bay
      5. Goldy George
      6. Jahana Ara Begum

      As we begin to work, the role of this working group will become clearer, but for now we can identify it as:

      1. Helping think through CJPA programs for the year
      2. Helping expand our network
      3. Attending and assisting in organizing any workshop or activities.

      I know everyone is very busy and I don’t want you to worry that this will be a big added burden to your already heavy workload.  Generally we can arrange for only one workshop or meeting a year.  In 2006 we have already discussed holding a workshop on the issues of the indigenous/marginalized people in India .  This would probably be held sometime after the middle of the year.

      I do hope this is acceptable to all.  As we get our working group functioning, it will be easier to bring all of you into a more active participation in all decision-making of CJPA.

      Let me also briefly add that CJPA, along with the Interfaith Coordination Forum held a workshop in Hyderabad, India last month with a small group of Asian educators to discuss the possibility of putting together a resource kit for teachers who wish to introduce the concepts of justpeace into their classes.  The workshop was quite successful and a report on it will be share with you very soon.  The WTO activities have affected our time very much and as that issue settles down we will be able to get around to writing reports and sharing ideas.

      My best wishes to all of you.
      Max Ediger

      “You don't make peace by talking to your friends; you have to make peace with your enemies.” Nelson Mandela

      "It's not enough to pull drowning victims out of the river; we need to walk back upstream and find out who's throwing them in."  Bishop V. Gene Robinson

      Yahoo! Photos

      Jerome De Porres,
      "Forgiveness never change your past but it enlarge your future"

      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 22, 2005
        Dear friends:
        It is always nice to have a person like Max who had taken up the idea of CJPA, beyond ordinary levels. I am sure all the CJPA member had enjoyed their kind of involvement and work with Max and other members of CJPA.

        From some of the mails and other information passed on from the CJPA office in Hong Kong it is well understood that CJPA (if not directly but members of CJPA) had been very actively involved/represented in the anti-WTO demonstration over there. Thanks for the efforts of Beng Sang who took all the photographs and put it on the website which is also quite worthy as those pictures speaks for itself.

        There are a few more events taking place in coming months, out of which the WSF-Bamako/Karachi/Caracus to be held in March 2006. What would be the role of CJPA as such in such events in future..

        While we look forward to the next year I would like to throw light on some of the aspects that we had already discussed and perhaps decided in the past. I think any process or movement or network should have its internal process interspection.

        As a part of that we need to look back on some of the decisions that we took during the Kandy (Lanka) meet and how far we had been able to carry forward the mantle and its follow ups. If we couldn't fulfull some of the tasks that we had undertaken in the past then what are we supposed to do?

        I think some of the major aspects that we had discussed during the Kandy meet had been sucessfully fulfilled and my extreme thanks to Max and all other members who had significantly contributed towards it. Perhaps I was the most nebulous person within that brand.

        However I think that we had also failed to catagorically address some of the key issues that we decided to address as CJPA at large. To repeat it is the question of ethnic minorites, marginalised communities and indigenous people. I had been right from the beginning stressing on devicing a mechanism that how an extended form of solidarity could be established as CJPA towards these larger movements is what we have to think at large.

        Regarding undertaking the writing work, Max had done more work and I think a friend who had joined DAGA is helping out in this.

        Secondly we also initiated a process with the group in Sri Lanka in terms of developing a justpeace curriculum in the conflict implicted areas. Perhaps it was decided that that workshop will take place in Pakistan and later (as per this mail) it was held in Hydrabad.

        I think it is important/vital to pass on information to each other. Perhaps sometimes the emails are lagging behind and turn to be more primitive. Yet we need to get such messages through in some form or the other.

        My own understanding is that many networks/alliances fail to continue after a stipulated time, not due to lack of funds but primiarly due to paucity of exchange of communication and scarcity of dialogue. It is always possible that if one walks out then another could be incorporated. Some network functions in this way too. But I think it would be nothing but just meaningless as such networks would exist only for the sake of network. Let us beware of it. It is just astonishing to know that such a workshop was organised in India as I never knew about it.

        Therefore the workshop to be held in Sri Lanka was shifted to Pakistan which actually materialised in India. I have a problem with this lack of integrity with CJPA.

        I am still on my own point that the responsbilities that I had undertaken to start a CJPA-centre in India will probably materialise in 2006 with a small action program to enter the mailstream media. Also I take the responsibility to organise the next CJPA meet in India as it was the understanding in the last meeting.

        It is really good that Max had asked friends of CJPA to be with him as part of "Active Working Team". I am happy that he had also asked me to be on the AWT. However  I would like to put a suggestion that it should be only one person from one country or otherwise it would also turn to be another form of nationality domination within CJPA. So keeping the principle of one person from one nation in mind, I would like to walk out of this AWT for the year and would recommend the name of Jahana Ara Begum for 2006.

        The reason is that she had been very much instrumental in organising program of CJPA, along with the Interfaith Coordination Forum during the last month. Also I feel that I won't be able to spare enough time to do justice as she is able to do. In my place I would suggest to put the name of Enha or Akkum, whoever is available.

        Hope that this would help us to better organise the CJPA.

        Warm regards of Justpeace..

[...]

        Convenor
        Dalit Study Circle,
        Raipur, Chhattisgarh
        Creation of a casteless and peaceful society is indeed the first step towards just, egalitarian, and harmonious society. A society of equals, neither unequal nor more-equals, beyond the strings of caste, class, gender, race, etc. Otherwise it would lead to social oppression, political exploitation, economic deprivation, cultural domination, gender discrimination, class isolation, deliberate exclusion. Lets’ believe in a society beyond this.

      • Lee Jae Young
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 23, 2005
          Hi Max

          Warm seasonal greetigns from Korea.
          Thank you for your invitation.
          I am happy to be part of working group.
          I hope my being in the group can contribute to the work of CJPA.

          Have great Christmas!

          샬롬 (Shalom)
          이재영 (Jae Young Lee)

          평화부 담당 간사 (Peace Program Coordinator)
          한국 아나뱁티스트 센터
          Korea Anabaptist Center (www.kac.or.kr)

          부원장 (Vice-President)
          커넥서스 어학원
          Connexus Language Institute (www.connexus.co.kr)
          "Let's Dream Impossible Dreams!"

          whatever.
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 12, 2006
            Sorry to be so slow in responding to your email Goldy.  I appreciate your reminding us of some of the things we planned during our Sri Lanka meeting and noting that some things we have worked on, but others still need much attention.  It's quite easy to make plans and then forget, so these kinds of reminders are very important.

            Let me respond to some of your thoughts  and hope that others will also re-read your email and share their thoughts and reflections.

            1.  I accept your suggestion that the Active Working Team (AWT) should be spread out among different countries.  Therefore I would agree with you that we ask Jahan Ara to represent India and add Ehna from Burma as the other member.  Our AWT will then look like this:

            1. Jae Young Lee
            2. Nhek Sophearith
            3. Charles Brownson
            4. To Thi Bay
            5. Saw Ehna
            6. Jahana Ara Begum
            At the same time, I would ask you to work closely with us this year as the goal is to hold a consultation sometime in 2006 on the issues of marginalization, ethnic minorites and indigenous people.  We talked about holding that somewhere within  your work area and I hope we will pursue that idea this year.  We will need your close help and cooperation to do that successfully.  The AWT will need to work out with you the details such as time, composition, agenda etc.

            2.  Your comments about good communications within a movement being of utmost importance is correct.  We need to constantly remind ourselves of the importance of sharing information.  It's dangerous when we get so busy we forget to bring in the ideas and concerns of others.

            However, concerning the Curriculum Workshop I did share some (perhaps not enough) information about the reason for moving the workshop to Hyderabad.  A quick search through my mailings came up with only one though dated Sept 22.  Anyway, my apologies if I did not keep info flowing sufficiently or was not clear in my messages.  I'll try to keep myself more aware of this.

            3.  Concerning the book we agreed to publish, I can only apologize to everyone for being so slow.  For some reason I am not getting the editing done.  Goldy and I did much work on it and then I passed it on to a volunteer here in HK for some objective editing.  He made some very good suggestions for improving the writing but I simply have not taken the time to sit down and carry through with it.  Although we have made very good progress on the book, it still sits incomplete in my computer and I simply need to discipline myself to get back to it.

            4.  Concerning my own plan for 2006, the ICF (Interfaith Cooperation Forum) is organizing the interfaith School of Peace this year.  The course will be held in Bangalore with 20 young people from conflict areas around Asia.  It lasts from January 30 to May 13.  I am asked to coordinate it so will be quite busy there.  However, via email the AWT can begin organizing CJPA and its activities.  Perhaps we can aim to hold a consultation on the marginalized, indigineous people sometime after May.

            My best wishes to all of you and I welcome your reflections and suggestions as we enter 2006.

            peace.....max

            Dear friends:
            It is always nice to have a person like Max who had taken up the idea of CJPA, beyond ordinary levels. I am sure all the CJPA member had enjoyed their kind of involvement and work with Max and other members of CJPA.

            From some of the mails and other information passed on from the CJPA office in Hong Kong it is well understood that CJPA (if not directly but members of CJPA) had been very actively involved/represented in the anti-WTO demonstration over there. Thanks for the efforts of Beng Sang who took all the photographs and put it on the website which is also quite worthy as those pictures speaks for itself.

            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 13, 2006
              Dear Max and others.
              Thanks for your response. I am happy that you had put lights on the issues and aspects raised by me. I think that as a person involved with CPJA, it won't really matter if I am in the AWT or not. I will certainly work closely with CPJA not only for one year, but it is part of my long term committment.

              No worries about the next meet organising. I think the best time for organising the CPJA meet would be September or October. I think it is not a problem for me and also it would be really good for all other friends to prepare themselves for this trip. For me too that is the best time. However in December things get more busy for me. So I prefer it to be either the second half of September or first half of October.

              So once again thanks for your response Max and let us try hard to work towards the aspects and objectives on which we had taken crucial decisions at Kandy.

              Warm regards

[...]

              From some of the mails and other information passed on from the CJPA office in Hong Kong it is well understood that CJPA (if not directly but members of CJPA) had been very actively involved/represented in the anti-WTO demonstration over there. Thanks for the efforts of Beng Sang who took all the photographs and put it on the website which is also quite worthy as those pictures speaks for itself.

              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 1, 2006
                Friends of CJPA:

                I wrote to you earlier explaining our plans to hold the CJPA workshop
                this year in India. The workshop will take place in September and
                Goldy George is helping make all local arrangements.

                As agreed on in our Sri Lanka workshop, we have set up a six-member
                committee that will help with the preparations and planning for the
                coming year and will participate in this workshop. We are also
                inviting some new friends from areas of importance in the work of
                regional justpeace. We are hoping that one participant from
                Palestine can join us along with two from Southern Thailand, one from
                Nepal and one from Aceh Indonesia. For those of you who will not be
                attending this workshop, we will keep you informed and always welcome
                your reflections.

                Remember to send any comments you have on the draft version of the
                CJPA Ideology. We need these before the workshop starts so that
                those participating in the workshop can discuss all ideas and improve
                the ideology paper.

                I'm sorry that we can not bring together all of the friends who
                participated in the Sri Lanka workshop but budget does not allow for
                that at this time. I do hope to have opportunity to meet with you at
                another time.

                Peace……max
              • JahanAra
                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 1, 2006
                  Dear Max

                  I think the things are really working  great. Having members from the Palestine, two from Southern Thailand, one from Nepal and one from Aceh Indonesia is a good team to discuss different issues.

                  I feel that in any of the country that when we hold CJPA workshop we will get more participants from the local /grass root members to attend the workshop. This is the opportunity given for each of us to learn and share our work.

                  At the same time we cannot invite all the participants from each of the workshop to attend the next workshop in another place. We also had plans that we change the team for the different progs.

                  I think we also need to discuss waht should  be the schedule / plan for this workshop.
                  Iam sure Goldy  might have already made plans for it.

                  Best wishes
                  jahan ara