Untouchability and caste discrimination with school children in Chhattisgarh

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 24, 2005
      Dear Friends and Colleagues,
      Season Greetings!
      As you all know that Dalit Mukti Morcha had been fighting against caste oppression in Chhattisgarh for the past many years. As part of our struggle we had been seriously engaged in a process of fighting and exposing all forms of untouchability along with raising Dalit rights over land and other resources.
      Recently we had come across a similar issue, which is slightly different from the ones that we had dealt in the past. This is the case of a village named Bhokludih near Pithora block of Mahasamund district of Chhattisgarh. This case is specifically related with Dalit children. As you know that there is a scheme of mid–day meal being provided in every school, which is part of the ‘right to food’ verdict of the Supreme Court.
      Discrimination in the distribution was observed after which we initiated a fact-finding investigation. Herewith I am enclosing the detailed fact–finding report of it, along with the letter sent to State Human Rights Commission–Chhattisgarh and the press release.
      It would be very nice if you could also write letters to the State Human Rights Commissions and marking a copy to us. The address to the commission is provided on the memorandum.
      Looking forward to your positive response and cooperation.
      Warm regards
      Jai Bhim!

      Convenor
      Dalit Study Circle,
      Raipur, Chhattisgarh
      Creation of a casteless and peaceful society is indeed the first step towards just, egalitarian, and harmonious society. A society of equals, neither unequal nor more-equals, beyond the strings of caste, class, gender, race, etc. Otherwise it would lead to social oppression, political exploitation, economic deprivation, cultural domination, gender discrimination, class isolation, deliberate exclusion. Lets’ believe in a society beyond this.