Wars Need to Be Prevented, Not Stopped

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 23, 2005
      Wars Need to Be Prevented, Not Stopped
      Stan Moore

      One matter that should be very clear from the Cindy Sheehan
      experience is that neither George W. Bush, nor his administration,
      nor his supporters in the public media or the countryside are about
      to admit that the 'Iraq war of conquest' was a mistake. No matter
      what the evidence of lies, no matter what the "intelligence" really
      said, no matter what the damage to the nation and its citizens and
      soldiers, warmongers will be warmongers.

      Moreover, political parties in the so-called but no longer
      seen "loyal opposition" no longer have the political strength or
      wherewithal to stop wars in progress. Wars take on inertia that makes
      them almost impossible to stop once initiated. A big reason for this
      phenomenon is likely the financial benefits of warmongering to
      professional politicians, who tend to be of the investor class and
      who often benefit financially from military spending, which is now a
      huge portion of the entire US economy.

      Peacemakers and peacekeepers need to learn that wars must be
      prevented, not stopped. Peacemakers must anticipate causes of war.
      Peacemakers must see the signs of impending war, such as claims by
      their government that "all options are on the table", or outright
      dismissals that war is an imminent option. Peacemakers must give
      close attention to the inevitable demonization of foreign nations and
      their leaders, which is a sure sign of the process that leads to war.

      The peaceful must find ways to speak truth to government deceit in
      real time. The peaceful must oppose war as an instrument of foreign
      policy on the grounds that wars waste property and lives and often
      victimize the innocent and civilians, and thus must be considered an
      outdated method of solving human conflict.

      Peacemakers must oppose ALL war and especially pre-emptive wars that
      are aggressive and not defensive in the least. Peacemakers must
      develop coherent, logical, truthful arguments to instruct the public
      as to the harm caused by war to even the victors of military
      conflict. Peacemakers must devise strategies to influence public
      debate when emotions run high in favor of war, such as at times of
      grievous tragedy, such as immediately after the attacks of Pearl
      Harbor or 9/11/2001.

      John Lennon had it right - we must give peace a chance. Edwin Starr
      was right when he said that "war is good for nothing; it can't give
      life but can only take it away".

      We need more entertainers, more musicians, and more celebrities to
      espouse the peace movement for the younger generation. The Vietnam
      War resistance sprang to a large degree from young people who were at
      risk of being drafted in a conscript army. A volunteer army of today
      poses less of a threat to those who refuse to volunteer, but we need
      more brothers and sisters and cousins of veterans to oppose the war,
      and not just mothers of casualties. We need Crosby Stills and Nash to
      spur "young people [to be] speaking their minds [on the wrongful of
      war].

      We need to prevent the planned war against Iran. We need to prevent
      war on North Korea. We need to prevent war against Venezuela and
      Syria and Cuba. We can see them coming, and we have to prevent these
      wars. We need religious leaders and celebrities and young folk and we
      need politicians and soccer moms and ex-military and wise elders and
      young parents and environmentalists and poor folks and everyone to
      oppose war and to prevent the next one.

      What if they gave a war and nobody came? What if the politicians had
      to hold bake sales to finance wars? What if politicians and rich folk
      had to raise armies from their own children? What if the public
      stopped wars by preventing their governments from starting them?

      We must prevent the next war while simultaneously stopping the
      current one. We can do it and we must.

      ###
      * Stan Moore is a member of several falconry and ornithological clubs
      and organizations. Acknowledgement to Media Monitors Network.

      Source: Middle East Times, August 15, 2005

      Visit the Middle East Times at www.metimes.com.

      Distributed by the Common Ground News Service - Partners in Humanity.

      Copyright permission has been obtained for publication.