poem

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 9, 2005
      Below is a poem written by our friend Jon Rudy.  He penned this after a visit to Burma where he met two small children involved in the struggle to survive.

      A Man/Child’s World

      July 15, 2005

      Jon Rudy

      Davao

      I look in his eyes

      this man/child, I saw

      he had suffered so much

      from poverty’s maw

      It ground him down

      and shredded his cloths

      tattered from wear

      it was nothing he chose

      Yet he and his sister

      a smile broke over their faces

      in arid semi-desert

      which formed their play spaces

      Amidst the old ruins

      of history untold

      freight of the past

      perhaps made them so bold

      Where they wandered by day

      sheepishly approaching strangers

      would Jesus have known them

      were they born in cattle mangers?

      Children of Burma

      forgotten by most

      yet its their homeland

      I the guest, they the host

      People tend to think of nonviolence as a choice between using force and doing nothing. But the real choice takes place at another level. Nonviolence is less a matter of "not killing" and more a matter of showing compassion, of saving and redeeming, of being a healing community. One can only choose between doing good to the person placed in one's path, or to do him evil. To do good is to love a person; but not to do that is as good as killing him. To love someone is to restore that person physically, socially, and spiritually. To neglect and postpone this restoration is already to kill. Andre Trocme