Interesting Article: A Place Where Women Rule

  • Sharon Schroeder
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 19 10:37 PM
      Message
       A Place Where Women Rule
          By Emily Wax
          The Washington Post

          Saturday 09 July 2005
      All-female village in Kenya is a sign of burgeoning feminism across Africa.

          Umoja, Kenya - Seated cross-legged on tan sisal mats in the shade, Rebecca Lolosoli, matriarch of a village for women only, took the hand of a frightened 13-year-old girl. The child was expected to wed a man nearly three times her age, and Lolosoli told her she didn't have to.

          The man was Lolosoli's brother, but that didn't matter. This is a patch of Africa where women rule.

          "You are a small girl. He is an old man," said Lolosoli, who gives haven to young girls running from forced marriages. "Women don't have to put up with this nonsense anymore."

          Ten years ago, a group of women established the village of Umoja, which means unity in Swahili, on an unwanted field of dry grasslands. The women said they had been raped and, as a result, abandoned by their husbands, who claimed they had shamed their community.

          Stung by the treatment, Lolosoli, a charismatic and self-assured woman with a crown of puffy dark hair, decided no men would be allowed to live in their circular village of mud-and-dung huts.

          In an act of spite, the men of her tribe started their own village across the way, often monitoring activities in Umoja and spying on their female counterparts.

          What started as a group of homeless women looking for a place of their own became a successful and happy village. About three dozen women live here and run a cultural center and camping site for tourists visiting the adjacent Samburu National Reserve. Umoja has flourished, eventually attracting so many women seeking help that they even hired men to haul firewood, traditionally women's work.

          The men in the rival village also attempted to build a tourist and cultural center, but were not very successful.

          But the women felt empowered with the revenue from the camping site and their cultural center, where they sell crafts. They were able to send their children to school for the first time, eat well and reject male demands for their daughters' circumcision and marriage.

          They became so respected that troubled women, some beaten, some trying to get divorced, started showing up in this little village in northern Kenya. Lolosoli was even invited by the United Nations to attend a recent world conference on gender empowerment in New York.

          "That's when the very ugly jealous behaviors started," Lolosoli said, adding that her life was threatened by local men right before her trip to New York. "They just said, frankly, that they wanted to kill me," Lolosoli said, laughing because she thought the idea sounded overly dramatic.

          Sebastian Lesinik, the chief of the male village, also laughed, describing the clear division he saw between men and women. "The man is the head," he said. "The lady is the neck. A man cannot take, let's call it advice, from his neck."

          "She's questioning our very culture," Lesinik said in an interview at a bar on a sweltering afternoon. "This seems to be the thing in these modern times. Troublemaking ladies like Rebecca."

          In a mix of African women's gumption and the trickling in of influences from the outside world, a version of feminism has grown progressively alongside extreme levels of sexual violence, the battle against HIV-AIDS, and the aftermath of African wars, all of which have changed the role of women in surprising ways.

          A package of new laws has been presented to Kenya's parliament to give women unprecedented rights to refuse marriage proposals, fight sexual harassment in the workplace, reject genital mutilation and to prosecute rape, an act so frequent that Kenyan leaders call it the nation's biggest human rights issue. The most severe penalty, known as the "chemical castration bill," would castrate repeatedly convicted rapists and send them to prison for life.

          In neighboring Uganda, thousands of women are rallying this month for the Domestic Relations Bill, which would give them specific legal rights if their husbands take a second wife, in part because of fear of HIV infection.

          Eleven years after the genocide in Rwanda, in which an estimated 800,000 people were killed, women in the country hold 49 percent of the seats in the lower house of parliament. Many of them are war widows who have said they felt compelled to rise up in protest after male leaders presided over the 1994 slaughter of Tutsi tribal members by the Hutu majority.

          Across the continent in West Africa, Nigerian women are lobbying strongly for the nomination of more women politicians, including a president in 2007, saying that men have failed to run the country properly.

          Focusing on the meeting of Group of Eight leaders in Scotland this week, female activists said they hoped international aid intended for Africa would include funding for women who are seeking rights in their court systems and more representation in their statehouses.

          "We are at the start of something important for African women," said Margaret Auma Odhiambo, a leader of western Kenya's largest group for widows. The members are women whose husbands have died of AIDS complications.

          Lolosoli's effort to speak out for change in her patch of the continent shows the difficulties of changing the rhythm and power structure of village life. Before Lolosoli even went to the U.N. conference, she was going house to house in the nearby town of Archer's Post, telling women they had rights, such as to refuse to have sex with their husbands if they were being beaten or ill-treated.

          "A woman is nothing in our community," she said, referring to the members of her tribe, including the men in the village across the road.

          "You aren't able to answer men or speak in front of them whether you are right or wrong," she said. "That has to change. Women have to demand rights, and then respect will come. But if you remain silent, no one thinks you have anything to say. Then again, I was not popular for what I was saying."

          At the U.N. conference in New York, Lolosoli said, she and other women from around the world bonded as they watched an episode of "Oprah" that focused on women, verbal abuse and cheating husbands.

          "You just cry and cry," sighed Lolosoli, who said many men in her tribe still take several wives. "Then again, I was really inspired to know that a lot of women face challenges of this nature and make it."

          When she came back to Kenya, armed with ideas and empowerment training workbooks, she stood her ground even when some of the men filed a court case against her, seeking to shut down the village.

          "I would just ignore the men when they threw stones at me and ask, 'Are you okay? Are your children okay? Are your cows okay?' " she said. Her tactic and calm reaction was disarming, she recalled. "After everything, they weren't going to stop us."

          Lolosoli is still battling her brother over his attempt to marry the 13-year-old.

          But lately, the residents of the men's village have been admitting defeat. They are no longer trying to attract tourists. Some have moved elsewhere. Others have had trouble getting married because some women in the area are taking Lolosoli's example to heart.

          "She has been successful, it's true." sighed Lesinik, who said maybe he is a little bit jealous. He then shrugged and said, "Maybe we can learn from our necks. Maybe just a little bit."
      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 20 8:35 AM
        Dear Sharon,
        Thanks for putting this news. However I would request you to trac if there is any possibility get across this bold women rule. However it is not clear from the article that these women are white. Search for their contact points.

        Regards.
        Goldy

        hk> wrote:
[...]

      • nhek sophearith
        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 21 5:50 AM
          Hello Goldy

          I have same question could you help me some . they has
          workship talk about social
          issue and i didn't know more about this word "
          Ecumenical "

          can you explain to me plesae i hope you are understood
          more than me ,

          I hope you are improve too much with your business and
          happiness with your family

          Please send my regards to your family and all of your
          friend

          take care

          Warm regards ,Phearith

          === message truncated ===

          http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
          Message 4 of 14 , Jul 22 10:56 AM
            Hi Nhek,
            Ecumenical is a christian word which orignates from ecumenism. Ecumenism originally meant for unionisation. Means unionisation or coming together of the Christian world. It is also seen in the context of radical Christian understanding of the bible and the emergence of Liberation theology along with Black theology. Subsequently it gave birth to sub-altern theological understanding in Asia-Pacific and Latin America.

            These days some Christian organisation had gone out of their conventional way and started naming themselves under this banner viz. 'ecumenical'. This is the context in which the entire relevance of such organisation lies to the extent which it related with the contemporary realities of the society.

            In recent times it is understood as a more secular word, hence ecumenism is meant as a call to go beyond the borders of church and join hands with the suffering masses. Ecumenical is the process of ecumenism.

            I hope that this would more complicate you with further questions!!!

            Warmth
            Goldy

            nhek sophearith <nhek_sophearith@...> wrote:
> [...]

            > it."

            >     When she came back to Kenya, armed with ideas
            > and empowerment training workbooks, she stood her
            > ground even when some of the men filed a court case
            > against her, seeking to shut down the village.

            >     "I would just ignore the men when they threw
            > stones at me and ask, 'Are you okay? Are your
            > children okay? Are your cows okay?' " she said. Her
            > tactic and calm reaction was disarming, she
            > recalled. "After everything, they weren't going to
            > stop us."

            >     Lolosoli is still battling her brother over his
            > attempt to marry the 13-year-old.

            >     But lately, the residents of the men's village
            > have been admitting defeat. They are no longer
            > trying to attract tourists. Some have moved
            > elsewhere. Others have had trouble getting married
            > because some women in the area are taking Lolosoli's
            === message truncated ===

            http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs

            Goldy M. George
            Convenor
            Dalit Study Circle,
            Raipur, Chhattisgarh
            Creation of a casteless and peaceful society is indeed the first step towards just, egalitarian, and harmonious society. A society of equals, neither unequal nor more-equals, beyond the strings of caste, class, gender, race, etc. Otherwise it would lead to social oppression, political exploitation, economic deprivation, cultural domination, gender discrimination, class isolation, deliberate exclusion. Lets’ believe in a society beyond this.

          • nhek sophearith
            Message 5 of 14 , Jul 22 10:01 PM
              Dear Goldy

              Thanks for your help , made me clear about Ecumenical so i understood now .What about your family ? i hope they are fine and doing well .

              Take care

              Warm regards ,Phearith

              Message 6 of 14 , Jul 24 12:09 PM
                All are fine Nhek

                Message 7 of 14 , Jul 25 2:33 AM
                  Message
                  Hi Goldy,

                  Rebecca Lolosoli is an Indigenous women’s human rights activist, and founder of the Kenyan Umoja Uaso Women’s Group, a member of the Indigenous Information Network.

                  Her photo on the Truthout website:

                  I'm not sure if this is the website for the Women's Group, but it could be (but it's pretty sparse):

                  Rebecca Lolosoli, one of the village leaders, is on the financial committee for the Lewa Wildlife Conservancy:
                  (This might be the easiest way to contact her, indirectly through this organization):
                  Lewa Nairobi office
                  Contact Person: Liz Gitau
                  Lewa Wildlife Conservancy
                  P. O. Box 10607
                  00100 Nairobi
                  Kenya
                  Tel : (+254-20) 607893
                  Fax : (+254-20) 607197
                  Email : lewa@...

                  She will be part of the African Indigenous Women: Fall 2005 Speaking Tour:
                  This bio mentions that her group is bringing a case against the British military for raping over 1400 Samburu women during the 1980’s and 90’s.

                  There have been many websites linking to this same Washington Post article (very popular!), but looking for other information, I find:

                  Girl power (Gary Monro's blog)
                  Not sure who Gary Monro is, but I haven't found an original source.

                  All-Female African Village Still Thriving After 10 Years,
                  Feminist Majority Foundation's National Center for Women and Policing:

                  About IIN:
                  Indigenous Information Network (IIN) is based in Kenya, a small, two person NGO started five years ago with minimal support, and they manage to do a whole lot of information dissemination, and have several workshops and other programs.
                  Brief description of IIN:
                  http://www.madre.org/sister/Kenya.html

                  More info about programs:

                  Address:
                  Indigenous Information Network (IIN)
                  Galexon House, 301A 3rd Floor
                  Off Mbagathi Way
                  P O Box 74908
                  Nairobi, Kenya
                  Tel: (+254 © 2) 272 3958
                  Fax: (+254 © 2) 272 9607
                  e©mail: iin@... and Mulenkei@....

                  This is pretty much all that's on the internet about her. I think this answers your question, although I'm not quite sure.

                  Have a good day,

                  Message 8 of 14 , Jul 25 2:49 AM
                    Dear Goldy

                    Greeting from Cambodia , Thanks for your help me but i just wonder What is mean Black Theology? quite not sure that word  .

                    Take care

                    Warm regards ,Phearith

                      Message 10 of 14 , Jul 27 10:07 AM
                        Dear Phearith,
                        Black theology is the theological understanding that emerged through the struggles of the Black people across the world for their dignity. This means that the struggle is directly or indirectly related with the struggles against racism, apartheid and xenophobia.

                        This has a longish history of struggle where people say that God (Jesus) is not a white but black, who stands with them in their struggle for fuller humanity.

                        Warm regards and justpeace

                          hk> wrote:
                           A Place Where Women Rule
                              By Emily Wax
                              The Washington Post

                              Saturday 09 July 2005
                          All-female village in Kenya is a sign of burgeoning feminism across Africa.

                          Goldy M. George
                          Convenor
                          Dalit Study Circle,
                          Raipur, Chhattisgarh
                          Creation of a casteless and peaceful society is indeed the first step towards just, egalitarian, and harmonious society. A society of equals, neither unequal nor more-equals, beyond the strings of caste, class, gender, race, etc. Otherwise it would lead to social oppression, political exploitation, economic deprivation, cultural domination, gender discrimination, class isolation, deliberate exclusion. Lets’ believe in a society beyond this.

                          People tend to think of nonviolence as a choice between using force and doing nothing. But the real choice takes place at another level. Nonviolence is less a matter of "not killing" and more a matter of showing compassion, of saving and redeeming, of being a healing community. One can only choose between doing good to the person placed in one's path, or to do him evil. To do good is to love a person; but not to do that is as good as killing him. To love someone is to restore that person physically, socially, and spiritually. To neglect and postpone this restoration is already to kill. Andre Trocme

                        • dalitstudycircle
                          Message 12 of 14 , May 9, 2006
                            i attached the details.

                            Thank you
                          • 이재영
                            Message 13 of 14 , Dec 30, 2008

                              Dear Max and Justpeaceasia Friends

                              Warm greetings from Korea!
                              It has been long time to write you, but I do read your e-mail and news from different parts.
                              Max, thank you for your coordination.

                              I wish new year 2009 will bring more peace and justice in Asia and in the world.
                              Peaceful blessings to all of you!

                              Happy new year!!

                              샬롬 (Shalom)
                              이재영 (Jae Young Lee)

                              평화부 담당 간사 (Peace Program Coordinator)
                              한국 아나뱁티스트 센터
                              Korea Anabaptist Center (www.kac.or.kr)

                              부원장 (Vice-President)
                              커넥서스 어학원
                              Connexus Language Institute (www.connexus.co.kr)
                              'Let's Dream Impossible Dreams!'
                              Message 14 of 14 , Jan 13, 2009
                                --- In justpeaceinasia@yahoogroups.com, 이재영 <kojay99@...> wrote:
                                >Dear All,

                                Warm Greetings to you all from Nepal!

                                This new year is special for me because I joined the justpeace in
                                Asia with such a nice people there.

                                To accomplish great things, we must not only act but also dream,
                                not only plan but also believe,
                                so this year start thinking this way:
                                New Year is the perfect time to pause,
                                look around and appreciate the beatiful surprises that life holds in
                                its store,
                                for it is important in life to take a break,
                                appreciate beauty ...
                                Wishing you all happy and prosperous NEW YEAR - 2009.

                                Amrit R Manandhar