689Earthquake in Indonesia
- Oct 5 9:39 PM
The earthquake in Padang, Indonesia happened at 17:16 pm (Indonesian time) on September 30. It registered 7.6 Richter scale.
A friend from Indonesia sent the following:
1. Many buildings in Padang have collapsed
2. About 80% of the buildings in Pariaman (one city in Padang) are damage or completely ruined
3. More than 400 people are now known to have died. The number will increase as the search goes on.
4. More than 50 people are still trapped under the ruins of broken buildings.
5. Many public facilities have collapsed.
6. Some people still in trauma and they have gone to the top of hills hoping it will be safe there.
7. Many victims lost their homes, and now stay in tent camps and mosques, but there is not enough shelter for all the victims.
8. Electricity has not been restored.
9. Access for the distribution of aid is still broken because of landslides. The army team is working to open the roads.
10. The victims really really need medicines.
11. Now many children are desperately begging for money from anyone passing by.
12. A second earthquake shook Padang again but it was not very strong.
“The whole history of the world is summed up in the fact that, when nations are strong, they are not always just, and when they wish to be just, they are no longer strong.” - Winston Churchill
- Next post in topic >>