120Re: [justpeaceinasia] Hello

  • nhek sophearith
    Jul 22, 2005
      Dear Goldy
      Thanks for your help , made me clear about Ecumenical so i understood now .What about your family ? i hope they are fine and doing well .
      Take care
      Warm regards ,Phearith

      Hi Nhek,
      Ecumenical is a christian word which orignates from ecumenism. Ecumenism originally meant for unionisation. Means unionisation or coming together of the Christian world. It is also seen in the context of radical Christian understanding of the bible and the emergence of Liberation theology along with Black theology. Subsequently it gave birth to sub-altern theological understanding in Asia-Pacific and Latin America.

      These days some Christian organisation had gone out of their conventional way and started naming themselves under this banner viz. 'ecumenical'. This is the context in which the entire relevance of such organisation lies to the extent which it related with the contemporary realities of the society.
      In recent times it is understood as a more secular word, hence ecumenism is meant as a call to go beyond the borders of church and join hands with the suffering masses. Ecumenical is the process of ecumenism.
      I hope that this would more complicate you with further questions!!!

      nhek sophearith <nhek_sophearith@...> wrote:
      Hello Goldy

      I have same question could you help me some . they has
      workship talk about social
      issue and i didn't know  more about this word "
      Ecumenical "

      can you explain to me plesae i hope you are understood
      more than me ,

      I hope you are improve too much with your business and
      happiness with your family

      Please  send my regards to your family and all of your

      take care

      Warm regards ,Phearith

      --- Goldy George <dalitstudycircle@...> wrote:

      > Dear Sharon,
      > Thanks for putting this news. However I would
      > request you to trac if there is any possibility get
      > across this bold women rule. However it is not clear
      > from the article that these women are white. Search
      > for their contact points.

      > Regards.
      > Goldy
      > hk> wrote:
      >  A Place Where Women Rule
      >     By Emily Wax
      >     The Washington Post

      >     Saturday 09 July 2005
      > All-female village in Kenya is a sign of burgeoning
      > feminism across Africa.

      >     Umoja, Kenya - Seated cross-legged on tan sisal
      > mats in the shade, Rebecca Lolosoli, matriarch of a
      > village for women only, took the hand of a
      > frightened 13-year-old girl. The child was expected
      > to wed a man nearly three times her age, and
      > Lolosoli told her she didn't have to.

      >     The man was Lolosoli's brother, but that didn't
      > matter. This is a patch of Africa where women rule.

      >     "You are a small girl. He is an old man," said
      > Lolosoli, who gives haven to young girls running
      > from forced marriages. "Women don't have to put up
      > with this nonsense anymore."

      >     Ten years ago, a group of women established the
      > village of Umoja, which means unity in Swahili, on
      > an unwanted field of dry grasslands. The women said
      > they had been raped and, as a result, abandoned by
      > their husbands, who claimed they had shamed their
      > community.

      >     Stung by the treatment, Lolosoli, a charismatic
      > and self-assured woman with a crown of puffy dark
      > hair, decided no men would be allowed to live in
      > their circular village of mud-and-dung huts.

      >     In an act of spite, the men of her tribe started
      > their own village across the way, often monitoring
      > activities in Umoja and spying on their female
      > counterparts.

      >     What started as a group of homeless women
      > looking for a place of their own became a successful
      > and happy village. About three dozen women live here
      > and run a cultural center and camping site for
      > tourists visiting the adjacent Samburu National
      > Reserve. Umoja has flourished, eventually attracting
      > so many women seeking help that they even hired men
      > to haul firewood, traditionally women's work.

      >     The men in the rival village also attempted to
      > build a tourist and cultural center, but were not
      > very successful.

      >     But the women felt empowered with the revenue
      > from the camping site and their cultural center,
      > where they sell crafts. They were able to send their
      > children to school for the first time, eat well and
      > reject male demands for their daughters'
      > circumcision and marriage.

      >     They became so respected that troubled women,
      > some beaten, some trying to get divorced, started
      > showing up in this little village in northern Kenya.
      > Lolosoli was even invited by the United Nations to
      > attend a recent world conference on gender
      > empowerment in New York.

> [...]

      === message truncated ===

      Dalit Study Circle,
      Raipur, Chhattisgarh
      Creation of a casteless and peaceful society is indeed the first step towards just, egalitarian, and harmonious society. A society of equals, neither unequal nor more-equals, beyond the strings of caste, class, gender, race, etc. Otherwise it would lead to social oppression, political exploitation, economic deprivation, cultural domination, gender discrimination, class isolation, deliberate exclusion. LetsÂ’ believe in a society beyond this.