Fw: [National_FAMLE] Time sensitive appeal from Oct 22 National Headquarters to ZZZZZZZZZZFamilies

  • kim bell
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 19 6:56 PM

      --- On Mon, 10/11/10, mesha <Iolmisha@...> wrote:

      From: mesha <Iolmisha@...>
      Subject: [National_FAMLE] Time sensitive appeal from Oct 22 National Headquarters to ZZZZZZZZZZFamilies
      To: National_FAMLE@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Monday, October 11, 2010, 2:50 AM

      Kathie Cheng October 11 at 12:39am Report
      mesha, below is what I had sent out last month - the producer is hoping to mix and edit everything by the end of this week, so the sooner you can leave the message(s) the better!

      Hi, everyone -

      This is Kathie w/October 22 Coalition-NY. Some of you had received the below email earlier this year, and I am also sending this to the national areas list of October 22 Coalition in order to reach as many people as possible.

      The main purpose for this email is the mixtape cd project, which has been delayed too many times, but I am determined to see this project through before October 22nd this year! We have not attained many recordings from families, so if the technological aspect of recording and forwarding is the problem, I have recently happened upon a relatively easy solution. Turns out the toll-free voicemail messaging service that we use in New York saves voicemail messages as .wav files when we access them online. This means anyone can call our number, "record" the information as a voicemail message, and I would be able to save it as an audio file and pass it over to our producer. For all families of those who have been killed by law enforcement who have not yet sent us a recording (or who have not yet been recorded by us), please call our toll-free number 866-235-7814, start your message by saying "mixtape" (that will make it easy for me or whoever checks our voicemail to know what the message is for), and provide the below (copied and pasted from the original email):
      Identifier: (we thought it would work best for this to be as uniform as possible) "I am ____________ (your name); my _________ (relation of Stolen Life to you) _______________ (name of Stolen Life) was killed by ________________ (particular police department) in _______________ (location - probably town/city and state) on __________________ (date)." As an example: "I am Juanita Young; my son Malcolm Ferguson was killed by New York City Police Officer Louis Rivera in the Bronx in New York on March 1, 2000."
      The Story: this could be told in whatever way you would like, with however many details you would like to include. Please clearly indicate, though, if you are quoting police reports or media, since with (hopefully) national distribution, not all potential listeners may be familiar with the case.
      Statement: up to you if you would like to include one. This could be, for example, a chant (e.g.: "No justice, no peace!"), a specific demand, particular analysis of police brutality as a phenomenon, etc.
      Anything else: also up to you - if you have specific memories you would like to share, want to list names of Stolen Lives in your area, etc.
      Organizers around the country who work with Families of Stolen Lives that don't have access to email, if you could pass this information on to them, it would be greatly appreciated. Please try to call by September 24th, as we hope that the producer will have all the tracks and recordings by then to start mixing and editing (a few days after is okay - we're giving this deadline to the artists, too).

      Regarding the national families conference call referenced below, I will send a separate email about that and additional upcoming events (this email is long enough as it is!).

      Thanks very much, and please feel free to contact me with any questions.

      - Kathie, O22-NY