fastboot, get it now, I mean it!

  • Matthew O'Neill
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 13, 1998
      Lo there,

      I know you'll probably be annoyed at the cross post, but It's worth
      it.

      Everyone: goto the aminet and download fastboot.lha NOW!!!

      It is amazing!!! It cut my boot time from 50 seconds down to 5 !! and
      it worked first time. I urge you to all at least try it, it's the best
      piece of software I have

      If you need help, just ask :))

      again, sorry 'bout the cross post

      --
      How many Bill Gates' does it take to change a light bulb?
      One, he just puts the light bulb in and lets the world revolve

      Matthew O'Neill
    • Matthew O'Neill
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 13, 1998
        [just-amiga] Re: fastboot, get it now, I mean it! gets dragged on once
        more.....

        >> I know you'll probably be annoyed at the cross post, but It's worth
        >> it.

        >> Everyone: goto the aminet and download fastboot.lha NOW!!!

        >> It is amazing!!! It cut my boot time from 50 seconds down to 5 !!
        and
        >> it worked first time. I urge you to all at least try it, it's the
        best
        >> piece of software I have

        > Where? I can't see it on any of the Aminet Recent lists.

        it's not recent, just use the search thing

        > Anyway, what exactly does it do you your amiga to make it boot so
        fast?

        The reason computers boot so slowly is that there is lots of
        processing to do between each item that is loaded. fastboot simply
        grabs all the ram in use, copies it to your hd (about 2-3 megs) and
        whenever you boot it simply copies it back. perfect bootup in 5
        seconds flat!

        --
        Everybody is talking about the weather but nobody does anything about
        it.

        Matthew O'Neill
      • Andrew Crowe
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 13, 1998
          Hi Everybody,

          > I know you'll probably be annoyed at the cross post, but It's worth
          > it.

          > Everyone: goto the aminet and download fastboot.lha NOW!!!

          > It is amazing!!! It cut my boot time from 50 seconds down to 5 !! and
          > it worked first time. I urge you to all at least try it, it's the best
          > piece of software I have

          Where? I can't see it on any of the Aminet Recent lists.

          Anyway, what exactly does it do you your amiga to make it boot so fast?

          See ya.
          --
          Manta Soft - Amiga programing & web page designing
          Http://www.geocities.com/Eureka/Gold/1713/ ICQ: 21829166
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 13, 1998
            'Twas the night before 14-Nov-98, and all through the net,
            not a creature was stirring, except for Andrew, who whispered ominously:

            > - --------------------- Quote of the day: ---------------------- -
            >I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World
            >War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.
            >-- Albert Einstein

            The next war will determine
            not what is right
            but what is left
            --unknown

            --
            We'll be right back after these messages.
          • Andrew Crowe
            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 13, 1998
              Hi Andrew,

              >>> - --------------------- Quote of the day: ---------------------- -
              >>> I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World
              >>> War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.
              >>> -- Albert Einstein

              >> The next war will determine
              >> not what is right
              >> but what is left
              >> --unknown

              I'll add it to my taglists.

              See ya.
              --
              Manta Soft - Amiga programing & web page designing
              Http://www.geocities.com/Eureka/Gold/1713/ ICQ: 21829166
              - --------------------- Quote of the day: ---------------------- -
              I no longer fear Hell, for I have used Windows.
            • Mark Tierno
              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 13, 1998
                Hello Andrew

                On 13-Nov-98, Andrew Crowe wrote:
                > Where? I can't see it on any of the Aminet Recent lists.

                Do a FIND for it off the German site, Wustl doesn't seem to have it by the
                other does.

                --
                Reality is for people who lack imagination.
              • Andrew Crowe
                Message 7 of 9 , Nov 14, 1998
                  Hi Everybody,

                  > Everyone: goto the aminet and download fastboot.lha NOW!!!

                  > It is amazing!!! It cut my boot time from 50 seconds down to 5 !! and
                  > it worked first time. I urge you to all at least try it, it's the best
                  > piece of software I have

                  Ok, I've had a look at the contents of fastboot archive, and it seems
                  to be a simple extention of the action replay's save state command.

                  I will definatly NOT be using this on my amiga, I know how unstable
                  these hacks can be. The author even give a riminder to refresh your
                  memory grab every time you add/remove new hardware (like if I disable my
                  PPC board with "2") or your harddrive'll get trashed.

                  Anyway, my bootup time is only 30 seconds.

                  If you have a stable amiga config, and arn't likely to change
                  anything on the fly, then it /should/ be safe to use this.

                  See ya.
                  --
                  Manta Soft - Amiga programing & web page designing
                  Http://www.geocities.com/Eureka/Gold/1713/ ICQ: 21829166
                  - --------------------- Quote of the day: ---------------------- -
                  Experience is directly proportional to the value of equipment destroyed.
                  -- Carolyn Scheppner
                • Chris Seward
                  Message 8 of 9 , Nov 14, 1998
                    Andrew Crowe,

                    On 14-Nov-98, you wrote:

                    > Anyway, what exactly does it do you your amiga to make it boot so fast?

                    Probably deletes half your startup-sequence :) I know mine would
                    go super fast if I did that ;}

                    Regards!
                    --
                    Chris Seward Email : amiga@...
                    Editor of Amiga Information Online Phone : +44 (0)7887 664 915
                    Message 9 of 9 , Nov 14, 1998
                      Hello Andrew

                      On 14-Nov-98, you wrote:

                      > From: Andrew Crowe <andrewcrowe@...>

                      > Hi Everybody,

                      >> Everyone: goto the aminet and download fastboot.lha NOW!!!

                      >> It is amazing!!! It cut my boot time from 50 seconds down to 5 !! and
                      >> it worked first time. I urge you to all at least try it, it's the best
                      >> piece of software I have

                      > Ok, I've had a look at the contents of fastboot archive, and it seems
                      > to be a simple extention of the action replay's save state command.

                      > I will definatly NOT be using this on my amiga, I know how unstable
                      > these hacks can be.

                      If it's worth anything to you, I've used it for the past one and a half
                      years with no problems what so ever!

                      > The author even give a riminder to refresh your
                      > memory grab every time you add/remove new hardware (like if I disable my
                      > PPC board with "2") or your harddrive'll get trashed.

                      Could, possibly, in the worst event scenario, trash your HD. But the chances
                      of this happening are as big as you winning the lottery. =)

                      The worst thing that has ever happened to me is that a system partion went invalidated and at the time I was doing some pretty serious hacking inside my
                      computer. Anyway, It's not documented, but if Fastboot detects something
                      different it doesn't boot the computer at all, it just stands there. If this
                      happens, you just Ctrl-Amiga-Amiga it and hold down any mouse button to
                      start WB as if though FastBoot never was installed.

                      What can I say, the program rules!

                      > Anyway, my bootup time is only 30 seconds.

                      I just figured out a way to squeeze another 3 seconds of my boot-up. Now it
                      only takes 3 seconds to boot my amiga.

                      > If you have a stable amiga config, and arn't likely to change
                      > anything on the fly, then it /should/ be safe to use this.

                      One Warning though. Do not attempt to install this program if you don't know
                      your way around DOS-scripts. And don't be calling a friend that knows all
                      about Amiga to install it for you, you're gonna need him at your house a lot
                      the first week.

                      And one more last thing. Don't put "execut s:grab.com", or whatever you
                      choose to name the command it uses to grab memmory, in startup-sequence.
                      Execute it from the menu "Workbench/Execute command" instead after all disk
                      activity has stopped and you should have no probs!

                      --

                      /ZoomiX <zoomix@...> ICQ:13499516
                      | t e a m | People think the Year
                      ~~~~~~~~ ZoomiX's WorkShop ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~+--+ *A* +--+ 2000 problem refers
                      A1200/030/40 - 882/40; - 14 Meg | *M* | to time. It is going to
                      MicroCom 33.6 - 1.7 Gig - 4 x 200W | *I* | refer to a new Amiga
                      Mitsumi 24x CD-ROM - Cannon BJC250 | *G* | that kicks PCs all over
                      http://home5.swipnet.se/~w-52132/ | *A* | the face of the new
                      ~~~~~~ Amiga Shall Overcome.. ~~~~~~~~~~~ +---+ millenium -- Fleecy Moss

                      Alabama Rule #10: The other guy has the right to finish the fight