the next season

  • Dean Bedford
    Message 1 of 21 , Jun 1, 2007
      They should have started recording for the next season of JAM - anyone
      been to a recording or heard any news of venues, dates or panels?
    • howstean
      Message 2 of 21 , Jun 2, 2007
        --- In just-a-minute@yahoogroups.com, Dean Bedford <dbedford@...>
        wrote:

        > They should have started recording for the next season of JAM -
        anyone
        > been to a recording or heard any news of venues, dates or panels?

        http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/mbbbc7/F2574421?thread=4202980

        There's a thread on the BBC7 message board saying how someone enjoyed
        seeing a recording at the Hay On Wye Literary Festival last week,
        much to his surprise as he's not a JAM fan.

        I've seen a few TV shows about the Festival, but nothing JAM-related.

        Apart from that, I've nothing heard anything. I get a BBC newsletter
        about Clue recordings, but not JAM. I'll have to check if they do one.

        Dean, you mentioned Martin Hood digitising some rare episodes while
        visiting you in April. Can they be accessed or downloaded ?

        Did you trace the missing TV episodes you were looking for ?

        Cheers
        Phil Watson
      • Gregory Auger
        Message 3 of 21 , Jun 2, 2007
          The links says that ep contains Paul and Marcus Brigstock.

          Message 4 of 21 , Jun 2, 2007

            > Dean, you mentioned Martin Hood digitising some rare episodes while
            > visiting you in April. Can they be accessed or downloaded ?
            >
            > Did you trace the missing TV episodes you were looking for ?
            >
            > Cheers
            > Phil Watson

            welcome to the group Phil :)

            Can I just say to the rest of the group that Phil is one of those that
            contributed to my collection so is indirectly responsible for some of
            the "missing" eps you're now enjoying. Thank you very much again Phil.

            Martin hasn't done the lot yet but some are available in the links
            section in the "Dean's Extra Special... etc" file.

            And no, I'm still missing four TV eppies. I'm guessing they probably
            won't turn up now.

            best, D
          • Dean Bedford
            Message 5 of 21 , Jun 2, 2007
              On Sunday, June 3, 2007, at 12:54 AM, Gregory Auger wrote:

              > The links says that ep contains Paul and Marcus Brigstock.

              He seems to be a busy man these days, young Marcus. I think he gets
              better every time he plays it.
            • Robert Torres
              Message 6 of 21 , Jun 2, 2007
                I've always felt that Marcus had great potential the first time I heard him alongside Rob Brydon at Edinburgh

                Dean Bedford <dbedford@...> wrote:

                On Sunday, June 3, 2007, at 12:54 AM, Gregory Auger wrote:

                > The links says that ep contains Paul and Marcus Brigstock.

                He seems to be a busy man these days, young Marcus. I think he gets
                better every time he plays it.

              • Anthony Hobson
                Message 7 of 21 , Jun 2, 2007

                  Yeah. I first heard Marcus Brigstocke last year on JAM and thought he did well. His pairing with Clement earlier this year proved his abilities on the show a lot. I believe he has a whole lot more to offer on JAM! :o)

                  Ant

                  Dean Bedford <dbedford@ihug. co.nz> wrote:

                  On Sunday, June 3, 2007, at 12:54 AM, Gregory Auger wrote:

                  > The links says that ep contains Paul and Marcus Brigstock.

                  He seems to be a busy man these days, young Marcus. I think he gets
                  better every time he plays it.

                • Dave
                  Message 8 of 21 , Jun 2, 2007
                    I too believe that Marcus will become a major fixture in years to
                    come.

                    Some interesting insight on Radio 4's Feedback programme this
                    week explaining how the station's audience is mainly over 40 and
                    the way they use comedy to cross over to the younger and future
                    audience. They target the 6-30pm slot which is, of course, where JAM
                    resides. Two women aged 34 and 56 (I think it was) were selected
                    to talk about two shows currently in that slot. They didn't really
                    like either but in passing they both expressed a great dislike for
                    JAM "God! It seems like its been going on forever!" etc.

                    Lets hope the BBC look to a more representative cross-section
                    about what should stay as they experiement with this slot.

                    --- In just-a-minute@yahoogroups.com, Robert Torres
                    <bobbyshaddoe3004@...> wrote:

                    > I've always felt that Marcus had great potential the first time I
                    heard him alongside Rob Brydon at Edinburgh

                    > Dean Bedford <dbedford@...> wrote:
                    > On Sunday, June 3, 2007, at 12:54 AM, Gregory Auger wrote:
                    >
                    > > The links says that ep contains Paul and Marcus Brigstock.
                    >
                    > He seems to be a busy man these days, young Marcus. I think he gets
                    > better every time he plays it.
                    >

                    > ---------------------------------

                  • Dean Bedford
                    Message 9 of 21 , Jun 2, 2007
                      On Sunday, June 3, 2007, at 10:37 AM, Dave wrote:

                      > Some interesting insight on Radio 4's Feedback programme this
                      > week explaining how the station's audience is mainly over 40 and
                      > the way they use comedy to cross over to the younger and future
                      > audience. They target the 6-30pm slot which is, of course, where JAM
                      > resides. Two women aged 34 and 56 (I think it was) were selected
                      > to talk about two shows currently in that slot. They didn't really
                      > like either but in passing they both expressed a great dislike for
                      > JAM "God! It seems like its been going on forever!" etc.
                      >
                      > Lets hope the BBC look to a more representative cross-section
                      > about what should stay as they experiement with this slot.

                      Well in broadcast terms of course, 40 years is a hell of a long time. I
                      think the show has changed a lot in style over the years, but as the
                      format has stayed much the same I guess it could seem very repetitive

                      If you wander round the BBC website forums you do find people who seem
                      to really dislike the show. There was one a couple of months back who
                      said she couldn't understand the thinking behind the show and she put it
                      something like this. "Who was it who thought up the idea of bringing
                      together some of Britain's funniest people, people like Paul Merton,
                      Ross Noble, Stephen Fry and Graham Norton, you start them talking and
                      then have Clement Freud interrupt them when he picks up that they've
                      repeated AND".

                      You think about it like that and I suppose it is hard to explain the
                      appeal of the show to some people.

                      Just wondering how you'd (this is everyone not just Dave!) would defend
                      the show to this person. Let's not focus on whether there are many
                      challenges on "and" - I'm more interested in hearing what you think
                      about great comedians being stopped mid-flow, which is the basis of the
                      show after all...

                      Dean
                    • Dean Bedford
                      Message 10 of 21 , Jun 3, 2007
                        On Saturday, June 2, 2007, at 11:52 PM, howstean wrote:

                        > There's a thread on the BBC7 message board saying how someone enjoyed
                        > seeing a recording at the Hay On Wye Literary Festival last week,
                        > much to his surprise as he's not a JAM fan.

                        According to a post on my blog, the JAM recorded at Hay in Wales had a
                        panel of Paul Merton, Pam Ayres, Maureen Lipman and Marcus Brigstocke
                        for the first show and Dara O'Briain for the second.

                        Sounds great - excellent to have Maureen back on the show - first time
                        since 1998.

                        And first time with two women on a panel since 2003.

                        And first time they swapped panellists between recordings, outside
                        Edinburgh, since 1994.
                      • jeremy_keens
                        Message 11 of 21 , Jun 9, 2007
                          Hi

                          A new member who has love JAM for years - sometimes I hope to be awake
                          at 5:30 on monday morning to hear it here in australia - and thanks to
                          the uploaders of shows - amazing resource.

                          You would need to explain to these people that the show IS the
                          interruptions. it is the interaction, the anger, the banter - having
                          heard some of the more recent ones I can see that the kenneth williams
                          golden age is continuing. How people (the panelists, ringmaster,
                          audience) respond to good bad or indifferent interruptions is what
                          makes me last - the one minute ramblings are probably the least
                          involving parts

                          Jeremy

                          --- In just-a-minute@yahoogroups.com, Dean Bedford <dbedford@...> wrote:

                          > On Sunday, June 3, 2007, at 10:37 AM, Dave wrote:
                          >
                          > > Some interesting insight on Radio 4's Feedback programme this
                          > > week explaining how the station's audience is mainly over 40 and
                          > > the way they use comedy to cross over to the younger and future
                          > > audience. They target the 6-30pm slot which is, of course, where JAM
                          > > resides. Two women aged 34 and 56 (I think it was) were selected
                          > > to talk about two shows currently in that slot. They didn't really
                          > > like either but in passing they both expressed a great dislike for
                          > > JAM "God! It seems like its been going on forever!" etc.
                          > >
                          > > Lets hope the BBC look to a more representative cross-section
                          > > about what should stay as they experiement with this slot.
                          >
                          > Well in broadcast terms of course, 40 years is a hell of a long time. I
                          > think the show has changed a lot in style over the years, but as the
                          > format has stayed much the same I guess it could seem very repetitive
                          >
                          > If you wander round the BBC website forums you do find people who seem
                          > to really dislike the show. There was one a couple of months back who
                          > said she couldn't understand the thinking behind the show and she
                          put it
                          > something like this. "Who was it who thought up the idea of bringing
                          > together some of Britain's funniest people, people like Paul Merton,
                          > Ross Noble, Stephen Fry and Graham Norton, you start them talking and
                          > then have Clement Freud interrupt them when he picks up that they've
                          > repeated AND".
                          >
                          > You think about it like that and I suppose it is hard to explain the
                          > appeal of the show to some people.
                          >
                          > Just wondering how you'd (this is everyone not just Dave!) would defend
                          > the show to this person. Let's not focus on whether there are many
                          > challenges on "and" - I'm more interested in hearing what you think
                          > about great comedians being stopped mid-flow, which is the basis of the
                          > show after all...
                          >
                          > Dean

                        • antster1983
                          Message 12 of 21 , Jun 10, 2007
                            Does anyone know when the new series will start? :) Sounds like a good few shows recorded in Hay-on-Wye, with Pam Ayres finally appearing in episodes with Paul Merton and the return of Maureen Lipman and Dara O'Briain. And of course, another appearance for the brilliant Marcus Brigstocke.

                            Ant

                            --- In just-a-minute@yahoogroups.com, "jeremy_keens" <jeremy_keens@...> wrote:

                            > Hi
                            >
                            > A new member who has love JAM for years - sometimes I hope to be awake
                            > at 5:30 on monday morning to hear it here in australia - and thanks to
                            > the uploaders of shows - amazing resource.
                            >
                            > You would need to explain to these people that the show IS the
                            > interruptions. it is the interaction, the anger, the banter - having
                            > heard some of the more recent ones I can see that the kenneth williams
                            > golden age is continuing. How people (the panelists, ringmaster,
                            > audience) respond to good bad or indifferent interruptions is what
                            > makes me last - the one minute ramblings are probably the least
                            > involving parts
                            >
                            > Jeremy
                            >

                            > --- In just-a-minute@yahoogroups.com, Dean Bedford dbedford@ wrote:
                            > >

                            > > On Sunday, June 3, 2007, at 10:37 AM, Dave wrote:
                            > >
                            > > > Some interesting insight on Radio 4's Feedback programme this
                            > > > week explaining how the station's audience is mainly over 40 and
                            > > > the way they use comedy to cross over to the younger and future
                            > > > audience. They target the 6-30pm slot which is, of course, where JAM
                            > > > resides. Two women aged 34 and 56 (I think it was) were selected
                            > > > to talk about two shows currently in that slot. They didn't really
                            > > > like either but in passing they both expressed a great dislike for
                            > > > JAM "God! It seems like its been going on forever!" etc.
                            > > >
                            > > > Lets hope the BBC look to a more representative cross-section
                            > > > about what should stay as they experiement with this slot.
                            > >
                            > > Well in broadcast terms of course, 40 years is a hell of a long time. I
                            > > think the show has changed a lot in style over the years, but as the
                            > > format has stayed much the same I guess it could seem very repetitive
                            > >
                            > > If you wander round the BBC website forums you do find people who seem
                            > > to really dislike the show. There was one a couple of months back who
                            > > said she couldn't understand the thinking behind the show and she
                            > put it
                            > > something like this. "Who was it who thought up the idea of bringing
                            > > together some of Britain's funniest people, people like Paul Merton,
                            > > Ross Noble, Stephen Fry and Graham Norton, you start them talking and
                            > > then have Clement Freud interrupt them when he picks up that they've
                            > > repeated AND".
                            > >
                            > > You think about it like that and I suppose it is hard to explain the
                            > > appeal of the show to some people.
                            > >
                            > > Just wondering how you'd (this is everyone not just Dave!) would defend
                            > > the show to this person. Let's not focus on whether there are many
                            > > challenges on "and" - I'm more interested in hearing what you think
                            > > about great comedians being stopped mid-flow, which is the basis of the
                            > > show after all...
                            > >
                            > > Dean

                          • Gregory Auger
                            Message 13 of 21 , Jun 10, 2007
                              Well a new series of ISIHAC has just started so probably around three months time.

                              Greg.

                            • Emile Jumean
                              Message 14 of 21 , Jun 10, 2007
                                Actually, Just A Minute usually starts the week following the final
                                episode of ISIHAC, which itself runs for 6 episodes. And since there's
                                already been one episode of ISIHAC broadcast, JAM will be starting in
                                5 weeks, or around the middle of July -- July 16, by my calendar.

                                Emile

                                --- In just-a-minute@yahoogroups.com, "Gregory Auger"
                                <gregory.auger@...> wrote:

                                > Well a new series of ISIHAC has just started so probably around
                                three months
                                > time.
                                >
                                > Greg.
                              • Gregory Auger
                                Message 15 of 21 , Jun 10, 2007
                                  I didn't realise ISIHAC was only 6 episodes long. I was imagining 13 - hence the 3 months.

                                  Greg.

                                  <gregory.auger@...> wrote:

                                  > Well a new series of ISIHAC has just started so probably around
                                  three months
                                  > time.
                                  >
                                  > Greg.

                                • Dean Bedford
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Jun 10, 2007
                                    On Sunday, June 10, 2007, at 09:09 PM, antster1983 wrote:

                                    > Does anyone know when the new series will start? Sounds like a good
                                    > few shows recorded in Hay-on-Wye, with Pam Ayres finally appearing in
                                    > episodes with Paul Merton and the return of Maureen Lipman and Dara
                                    > O'Briain. And of course, another appearance for the brilliant Marcus
                                    > Brigstocke.
                                    >
                                    > Ant

                                    As Emile has said it's mid July, but I just note that that's two weeks
                                    later than usual.

                                    I hope that doesn't mean the season will be shorter than usual - as this
                                    year's winter season was.
                                  • bobbyshaddoe3004
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Jun 22, 2007
                                      well, more often than not the people on the show are the ones that
                                      trip themselves up when they're speaking, and the interruptions
                                      themselves are often just as funny as whatever it is that someone is
                                      saying on the show or in their speaking time.

                                      wrote:

                                      > On Sunday, June 3, 2007, at 10:37 AM, Dave wrote:
                                      >
                                      > > Some interesting insight on Radio 4's Feedback programme this
                                      > > week explaining how the station's audience is mainly over 40 and
                                      > > the way they use comedy to cross over to the younger and future
                                      > > audience. They target the 6-30pm slot which is, of course, where
                                      JAM
                                      > > resides. Two women aged 34 and 56 (I think it was) were selected
                                      > > to talk about two shows currently in that slot. They didn't really
                                      > > like either but in passing they both expressed a great dislike for
                                      > > JAM "God! It seems like its been going on forever!" etc.
                                      > >
                                      > > Lets hope the BBC look to a more representative cross-section
                                      > > about what should stay as they experiement with this slot.
                                      >
                                      > Well in broadcast terms of course, 40 years is a hell of a long
                                      time. I
                                      > think the show has changed a lot in style over the years, but as
                                      the
                                      > format has stayed much the same I guess it could seem very
                                      repetitive

                                      > If you wander round the BBC website forums you do find people who
                                      seem
                                      > to really dislike the show. There was one a couple of months back
                                      who
                                      > said she couldn't understand the thinking behind the show and she
                                      put it
                                      > something like this. "Who was it who thought up the idea of
                                      bringing
                                      > together some of Britain's funniest people, people like Paul
                                      Merton,
                                      > Ross Noble, Stephen Fry and Graham Norton, you start them talking
                                      and
                                      > then have Clement Freud interrupt them when he picks up that
                                      they've
                                      > repeated AND".
                                      >
                                      > You think about it like that and I suppose it is hard to explain
                                      the
                                      > appeal of the show to some people.
                                      >
                                      > Just wondering how you'd (this is everyone not just Dave!) would
                                      defend
                                      > the show to this person. Let's not focus on whether there are many
                                      > challenges on "and" - I'm more interested in hearing what you think
                                      > about great comedians being stopped mid-flow, which is the basis of
                                      the
                                      > show after all...
                                      >
                                      > Dean

                                    • david_and_ubonwan
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Jul 10, 2007
                                        wrote:

                                        > On Sunday, June 10, 2007, at 09:09 PM, antster1983 wrote:
                                        >
                                        > > Does anyone know when the new series will start? Sounds like a
                                        good
                                        > > few shows recorded in Hay-on-Wye, with Pam Ayres finally
                                        appearing in
                                        > > episodes with Paul Merton and the return of Maureen Lipman and
                                        Dara
                                        > > O'Briain. And of course, another appearance for the brilliant
                                        Marcus
                                        > > Brigstocke.
                                        > >
                                        > > Ant
                                        >
                                        > As Emile has said it's mid July, but I just note that that's two
                                        weeks
                                        > later than usual.
                                        >
                                        > I hope that doesn't mean the season will be shorter than usual - as
                                        this
                                        > year's winter season was.

                                        OK folks, the new issue of Radio Times hit the streets today and it
                                        confirms that series 54, begining next Monday, will be 11 episodes
                                        long. :)

                                        Regards

                                        David and Ubonwan
                                      • Dean Bedford
                                        Message 19 of 21 , Jul 10, 2007
                                          On Wednesday, July 11, 2007, at 06:43 AM, david_and_ubonwan wrote:

                                          > OK folks, the new issue of Radio Times hit the streets today and it
                                          > confirms that series 54, begining next Monday, will be 11 episodes
                                          > long. :)

                                          thanks for that - 11 is better than 10!
                                        • Dean Bedford
                                          Message 20 of 21 , Jul 11, 2007
                                            On Wednesday, July 11, 2007, at 02:18 PM, Dean Bedford wrote:

                                            > On Wednesday, July 11, 2007, at 06:43 AM, david_and_ubonwan wrote:
                                            >

                                            >> OK folks, the new issue of Radio Times hit the streets today and it
                                            >> confirms that series 54, begining next Monday, will be 11 episodes
                                            >> long. :)
                                            >
                                            > thanks for that - 11 is better than 10!

                                            the July 23 show is the second recoding from the last season featuring
                                            Clement Freud, Paul Merton, Graham Norton and Chris Addison
                                          • Dean Bedford
                                            Message 21 of 21 , Dec 14, 2008
                                              Although it's only two weeks away from the new season, I've so far had
                                              news on only one recording - which featured Paul Merton, Graham Norton,
                                              Charles Collingwood and Shappi Khorsandi.

                                              I imagine there have been one or two more recordings since. If you went
                                              to one, let me know.

                                              But the official website does have a clue as to who will be appearing in
                                              the next series.

                                              Since it was first put up in 2002, the regulars on JAM have been listed
                                              on the official site like this.

                                              Present panellists include Paul Merton, Graham Norton, Clement
                                              Freud, Tony Hawks, Sue Perkins, Stephen Fry, Jenny Eclair, Julian Clary,
                                              Ross Noble, Lisa Tarbuck, Tim Rice and Wendy Richard.

                                              In the past week, that's been changed to this...

                                              Present panellists include Paul Merton, Graham Norton, Clement
                                              Freud, Tony Hawks, Sue Perkins, Stephen Fry, Jenny Eclair, Julian Clary,
                                              Ross Noble, Lisa Tarbuck, Shappi Khorsandi, Helen Lederer, Josie Long
                                              and Charles Collingwood.

                                              Now given that it's now six years since Wendy was on, it was probably
                                              about time for her to be taken off the list of "present panellists". Tim
                                              Rice has also been removed and added are Shappi Khorsandi, Helen
                                              Lederer, Josie Long and Charles Collingwood.

                                              Shappi and Charles we knew were on this series. Helen has only done one
                                              radio edition, as long ago as 1992, although she did four TV editions.
                                              With all due respect to a very nice and very talented person, she was
                                              possibly one of the least adept at the game that have been on.

                                              When I first saw the name Josie Long, I assumed it was an error and they
                                              meant Josie Lawrence. But no, there is a talented young comedienne
                                              called Josie Long.

                                              Welcome to the JAM family, Josie.

                                              And I guess it all goes to show that they are really trying to get more
                                              women on the show. Kenneth will be rolling in his grave.

                                              Good to see Stephen Fry is still listed - we can only hope...

                                              Strange that people like Gyles Brandreth, Marcus Brigstocke and Kit
                                              Hesketh-Harvey aren't listed.

                                              And even after six years, I note they still can't spell correctly the
                                              name of Liza Tarbuck!