Re: Dust-biting (continued)

  • Simon B Kelly
    Message 1 of 33 , Jul 3, 2013
      AudioGo.com are selling Series 65 of JAM for £3.99 GBP or $4.99 USD:

      http://www.audiogo.com/uk/just-a-minute-series-65-bbc-gid-100114
      http://www.audiogo.com/us/just-a-minute-series-65-bbc-gid-100114

      The above example works out at about 50p or 62c per episode for 256k MP3s without any DRM. Unfortunately, they're not all that price and individual episodes can cost from $1.49 up to $2.49. It's worth checking now and again for the special offers, though. ;-)

      Simon
    • charles_rooke
      Message 33 of 33 , Jul 7, 2013
        David and Tony - It seems I was wrong in thinking that WMA at 48 kbps is the best option outside the UK. I've discussed this over the last 24 hours with a US collector. In the US at least (but I would assume the same holds good elsewhere in the world) one can get AACs, some at 128 kbps and some at 48 kbps. I assume that either should in theory be better than WMA. My contact wrote as follows:

        - I use the url and NetTransport to grab the AAC and then convert it to an MP3. It is RadioDownloader without autodownload and conversion. No big change for me since that was what I did before RD.

        - I get AACs at the kbps the BBC has decided I can get them in. Some are 128 and some are 48. It depends on the station and show. No consistency. It was the same with RD. If the url doesn't give me an AAC, I use FLV extract to pull the AAC from the FLV.

        - I conducted a test of iFetch by unchecking the 'convert to mp3' box on the options tab. Fetched Radio 4 and 4 Extra and checked 20 files (plays, readings and comedies) and clicked download. It gave me the FLVs. I dragged the FLVs into FLV extract and clicked ok and I had 20 AACs on the computer. It took longer for iFetch to get the list than it took to get the FLVs and extract the AACs. The AACs were either 128 kbps or 48 kbps.

        - The BBC gives international users a combo based on rationale that I can't figure out. These are the same AACs that I would have got with RD. I clipped them lossless and then converted them to MP3 with Switch. The result was the same quality MP3 that I got from RD.

        Hope this is of some interest/help.

        Charlie