Re: [just-a-minute] Re: Using Dropbox as a share resource + Old News Quiz Episodes please!(Don possibly)

  • Don Judge
    Message 1 of 27 , Jan 2, 2013
      Mark

      nylon.net has got a bit of a 'reputation' in my neck of the woods somehow, truly deserved or otherwise.

      Emails from you often get marked as spam by Yahoo and parked in my Spam folder.

      I can't get to your website at work, it gets blocked by our web proxy as 'Pornography'.

      Ho hum

      --
      Cheers

      Don   __o
            \<,
      .....O/ O

      Message 2 of 27 , Jan 2, 2013
        Dropbox works in an unusual way.

        When you place the file in your Dropbox folder, it performs a quick checksum calculation (a sum to identify a unique file).  If that file exists anywhere else on Dropbox, that is, if anyone else has the exact same file, then it skips the upload process.  It simply makes a copy of the file that already exists.

        That's why files on Dropbox sometimes appear to upload in a few short seconds.

        Of course, the receiving user still has to go through the download process, but the files will have appeared in their account near instantaneously.

        On Wed, Jan 2, 2013 at 5:39 AM, Don Judge <don@...> wrote:

        Agree with kJ there.
        To transfer 7.5GB in 10 seconds would require 6Gb/s of bandwidth assuming my calculation is correct.  Wowser! - we can only wish.

        Back to my archives...

        A 6MB 30 minute mp3 audio file will sound rubbish.
        A 25MB 30 minute mp3 audio file may sound good, but it's not guaranteed.

        However, size isn't everything, there are many other factors involved.
        A 6MB file can be upscaled to a higher bit rate to give 25MB but it won't sound any better.

        To get good audio quality from mp3 encoded speech you need at least 96kb/s IMHO.
        I go for (at least) 128kb/s if I have a choice.

        I have not listened to all the episodes so I cannot say whether my files are all good quality or not but I can say none of the ones I glanced at last night were low bit rate.

        --
        Cheers

        Don   __o
              \<,
        .....O/ O

        Message 3 of 27 , Jan 2, 2013
          Aha - that explains it then James. Thanks.

          When I used DropBox before it synchronised a folder on my PC to a folder on another users PC which, as you say, requires upload and download.

          Using the web GUI to monitor the Cloud storage folder, as opposed to the folder on the PC, will make an existing file appear almost instantaneously.
          --
          Cheers

          Don   __o
                \<,
          .....O/ O

          Message 4 of 27 , Jan 2, 2013
            The DropBox server (or cluster of servers, more like) will be a bigger, faster version of your PC.
            So it's just a question of copying the files between directories or folders.
            It doesn't take long to do that on your PC now does it?

            Anyways back to ISIHAC...
            I never said all my programmes were 128kb/s - I said I get them if I can.

            Anway, for comparison to what you have I will upload ISIHAC s1 to MediaFire.
            They are top-and-tailed, tagged and normalised for volume.
            Most eps are 56 or 64kb/s with a couple of 128kb/s for good measure.

            Download them and compare to what you have for sound quality.

            --
            Cheers

            Don   __o
                  \<,
            .....O/ O

            Message 5 of 27 , Jan 2, 2013
              Thank you Don - I really appreciate this. My series 1 has a few very low quality episodes - so I am crossing my fingers here! If you do have upgraded episodes - and I suspect that you do - could I possibly highlight my poorer episodes for comparison? I would very much like the best version possible - but also am aware that I am causing you some work - and I am sure you don't want to upload the whole lot!

              On Dropbox - I guess I was hoping that Dropbox would be an answer that would solve my issues with the longevity or life of files on MediaFire. Possibly it is a solution for direct requests from someone - but not as a whole group share.

              Thanks for all the help and advice.

              Look forward to the files

              C.

                --