Re: [just-a-minute] Re: Pre Merton Broadcasts

  • Don Judge
    Message 1 of 21 , Oct 1, 2012
      > But I laugh harder at Kenneth and I think thhe BBC SHOULD play his shows. He deserves to be - to use one of his own phrases...
      >
      > "A cult! An enormous cult! He should be the biggest cult around here!"

      Hahaha!
      Brilliant!
      I had forgotten all about that, another example of getting risqué stuff (for the time) past TPTB in their ivory tower at the Beeb - who had no idea by all accounts. Sheer genius.

      (As did Spike Milligan too on many occasions.)
    • James R Curry
      Message 2 of 21 , Oct 2, 2012
        On Sun, Sep 30, 2012 at 11:30 PM, deanbedford <dbedford@...> wrote:

        Dean here: When I was helping the BBC producer pick bits for the three hour special that aired earlier this year, I was sending him ideas and he was coming back, having listened to the shows within two hours or so. He clearly had ready access to all the shows.

        Ah, yes - I do remember you saying this before, and then someone else claiming that very few early shows are in the regular old BBC archive.  I thought the statements were somewhat incompatible at the time.  As you spoke to someone who was actually pulling and listening to the shows then the evidence is obviously pretty conclusive; the BBC have an organised archive available to them.

        --
        James R Curry
      • nylon net
        Message 3 of 21 , Oct 2, 2012
          OK. So all we need to do is get an operative on the inside of the BBC with a really big hard disk....

          Bwahahahahaha!

          Mark

          Dean here: When I was helping the BBC producer pick bits for the three hour special that aired earlier this year, I was sending him ideas and he was coming back, having listened to the shows within two hours or so. He clearly had ready access to all the shows.

          Ah, yes - I do remember you saying this before, and then someone else claiming that very few early shows are in the regular old BBC archive.  I thought the statements were somewhat incompatible at the time.  As you spoke to someone who was actually pulling and listening to the shows then the evidence is obviously pretty conclusive; the BBC have an organised archive available to them.

          --
          James R Curry

          3D Earth Screensaver Preview
          Free 3D Earth Screensaver
          Watch the Earth right on your desktop! Check it out at www.inbox.com/earth
        • Robert
          Message 4 of 21 , Oct 3, 2012

            I am a big fan of the older shows. They were quality. Nowadays people interupt for the sake of it and hardly anyone speaks for a whole minute. I still like the show, but not a patch on the Derek Nimmo, Clement Freud, Sheila Hancock, Kenneth Williams and Peter Jones days. Paul Merton is good, but I don't want him on every show.

            Does anyone have some old shows to share please?

            Robert

            Message 5 of 21 , Oct 3, 2012
              You know, it suddenly struck me: This is *exactly* like the fan discussion in the Elvis world, if the 50s or 70s period is the favourite. it's either/or. You got the die-hard 70s fans (I'm one of those) who can't stand the simple tunes and poor audio quality of the early recordings, and the 50s fans who can't stand the bloated, struggling Elvis of the 70s.

              And in both cases the discussions will continue in both camps for as long as there are fans. :)

              Message 6 of 21 , Oct 3, 2012
                Robert
                Aa part of the Yahoo JAM Group you should have access to the links page. There you will find links to many series of JAM for download, both old and new.

                Login in to Yahoo > My Groups > just-a-minute > Links > "Just a Minute" Episode Download Links
                --
                Cheers

                Don   __o
                          \ <,
                   .....O/ O

                sent from my iPod Touch

                Message 7 of 21 , Oct 3, 2012

                  Cheers for that Don. I am still rather a newbie and finding my way around. Just found some links.

                  Message 8 of 21 , Oct 3, 2012

                    I think you have 'hit the nail on the head' Espen!

                    Robert ; )

                    PS A good topic for a show?

                    I couldn't agree more. I am not a fan of the older shows at all.

                    I'm not sure why it is that I don't like the older shows. Perhaps it's to do with dated humour; perhaps it's to do with the format and dynamics of the show which have changed subtly over the decades; perhaps (and please don't take this the wrong way) it's because it's a panel of four people who have largely slipped from the public memory.

                    I'm sure there are lots of people who would love to hear the older shows. I certainly have no objection to them being re-broadcast. Just not at the expense of the newer shows.

                    I expect that the BBC will still own the UK broadcast rights for all JaM shows. One consideration may be that some of the older shows are available for purchase on CD and MP3 (I know some of the newer ones are too). Whether re-broadcasting the older shows would stimulate interest in the CDs and therefore boost their sales or people would record them and depress CD sales is a debatable point.

                    Cheers

                    kJ

                    --- In just-a-minute@yahoogroups.com, "Espen Krømke" <espen.kromke@...> wrote:

                    > Well, if BBC think anything like me, my guess would be that they simply
                    > find the newer shows to be more fun to listen to. I know I do. The only
                    > reason why I keep pre-Merton shows in the JAMmer shoutcast
                    > (stream.beatradar.com) is because I know there are some who still
                    > appreciate those shows.
                    >
                    > In fact, I would not even have been a JAM fan today, had it not been for
                    > the era introduced with Merton.

                    Do you have a slow PC? Try free scan!
                • Clitheroe Kid
                  Message 9 of 21 , Oct 3, 2012

                    Episode 1 from 1967 will be broadcast on BBC Radio 4 Extra tomorrow, Thursday 4 October.

                    Thursday 4 October '12
                    09:30–10:00
                    Just a Minute
                    22/12/1967: BBC Home Service pilot show with Nicholas Parsons, Beryl Reid, Wilma Ewart, Clement Freud and Derek Nimmo. From December 1967. [Rpt Fri 2.30am, Sat 6 Oct 2.00pm]
                    [NB: No previous broadcast]
                    [NB: Series 1 Episode 1]

                    Listen live to this station at -
                    http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/bridip/clitheroe/news.htm#live

                    Afterwards, this episode will be available online for 1 week at -
                    http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/console/b01n2sl6

                    How to record BBC iPlayer listen-again streams -
                    http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/bridip/clitheroe/iplayer.htm

                  • Clitheroe Kid
                    Message 10 of 21 , Oct 3, 2012
                      People, the BBC are trying - against all the odds - to get an audience for their radio shows.

                      This is in the face of stiff competition from television - which now offers hundreds of channels - and from a vast number of other radio stations.

                      For very obvious reasons, therefore, they are not going to sabotage one of their few popular radio shows by setting up Radio 7 as competition for their current first-run broadcasts of that show on Radio 4.

                      Especially, they are not going to set up Paul Merton era repeats, which compete directly with the current series, in competition on one of their own stations. If they had any, they might broadcast Kenneth Williams era episodes. But few of those are held in their archives.

                    • mathew
                      Message 11 of 21 , Oct 3, 2012
                        Looks like they are airing some old shows.

                        Had a wander over to Radio Times and another old episode is on at the same the following Thursday. The only info given is Episode 45 so i presume they are broadcasting Series 4 Episode 19 'Appearing In Public' with a panel of Kenneth Williams, Derek Nimmo, Clement Freud & Sheila Hancock.

                        So not in sequence but may provide upgrades and always good to have it being broadcast.

                        How timely considering whats being discussed.