Re: [just-a-minute] Re: Tony Hawks autumn tour

  • Dean
    Message 1 of 24 , Nov 5, 2011
      I would also like to think they will appoint him or someone else very familiar with the show as chairman. Tony could do a very good job though they may think he offers more as a member of the panel.

      If there ever will be a vote for the next chairman of JAM, my vote will go to him. I think it could work. He's not too pendatic, not too much of an attention seeker, he's able to let others take the spotlight and let others win for the sake of the flow of the game. Plus, he's intelligent.
    • Dean
      Message 2 of 24 , Nov 5, 2011
        This was a really nice summary – it’s always great to have this sort of summary of a show.

        It’s interesting how many of the players are aware of the site. I suppose like the rest of us even celebs occasionally google their own name.

        Message 3 of 24 , Nov 5, 2011
          Come on everyone!

          We've got Nick and he's still doing fine.

          Surely we shouldn't be having a "next chairman" discussion. I hope we don't have to for many years to come.

          dagi.

          --- In just-a-minute@yahoogroups.com, "Dean" <dbedford@...> wrote:

          > I would also like to think they will appoint him or someone else very familiar with the show as chairman. Tony could do a very good job though they may think he offers more as a member of the panel.
          >

          > If there ever will be a vote for the next chairman of JAM, my vote will go to him. I think it could work. He's not too pendatic, not too much of an attention seeker, he's able to let others take the spotlight and let others win for the sake of the flow of the game. Plus, he's intelligent.

        • Espen Krømke
          Message 4 of 24 , Nov 5, 2011
            Yes I think they may think so too - but I actually disagree with that. There are plenty comedians to pick from as panellists. Chairman on the other hand... That's more difficult I think. And Tony has that particular british elegance, he's obviously funny but also has a keen eye for the rules and the english language.

            I really, really believe in him as the chairman. Who else, really?
            Anyone else has a good candidate? I'd love to read your reasoning. :)

            Message 5 of 24 , Nov 5, 2011
              None of us want Nick replaced anytime soon, Dagi. We all love him. I sincerely hope he's got health to keep going for many, many years still.

              But we must also realize that he *is* getting older. So to just play around with the idea of who could be next, well I think that makes for an interesting topic...

              On 05. nov. 2011 11:02, dagi_uk wrote:

              Come on everyone!

              We've got Nick and he's still doing fine.

              Surely we shouldn't be having a "next chairman" discussion. I hope we don't have to for many years to come.

              dagi.

              --- In just-a-minute@yahoogroups.com, "Dean" <dbedford@...> wrote:

              > I would also like to think they will appoint him or someone else very familiar with the show as chairman. Tony could do a very good job though they may think he offers more as a member of the panel.
              >

              > If there ever will be a vote for the next chairman of JAM, my vote will go to him. I think it could work. He's not too pendatic, not too much of an attention seeker, he's able to let others take the spotlight and let others win for the sake of the flow of the game. Plus, he's intelligent.

            • Dave B
              Message 6 of 24 , Nov 5, 2011
                Thanks Dean. I too am pleased that the players value your site(s).

                What I would love is for them to take part in discussions here. Can you think of any way of inviting them?

                Of course you may know if any have signed up. Maybe they just read the emails under a pseudonym.

                Or maybe they take part...under a pseudonym!!!!!!

                Sent from my new Netbook, which I will try and use whilst travelling.

                Dave

                Message 7 of 24 , Nov 5, 2011
                  Makes me think back to Kenneth Williams demands that they make him the Chairman of this show!

                  Gotta say this..on those few occasions when Nic appeared as a panellist with someone else in the Chair, or even the more recent moments when he has been encouraged to take over the last bit of a subject and talk, he hasn't been half as funny as he is in the Chair, and none of the stand in Chairs did a quarter as well as he did, in my opinion. And his style and skills weren't suited to the panel.

                  But I don't think it wrong that maybe in a future series they have another bash at rotating the Chair, with Nic in the panel. Maybe Tony and Gyles or Chris or Tim could have goes. And it would give Nic the chance to broaden his scope.......

                  Why not?

                  Dave

                  Message 8 of 24 , Nov 5, 2011
                    I don’t really have any thoughts on this. I’ve never really done anything to promote the site or this list – people can read, post, or not, as they wish.

                    I have been thinking though that if I knew for sure the panel members I were writing about on the blog would read what I say – would I be kinder? I am kind generally I think, but about a month ago I was a little critical of Tony Hawks on the blog. Generally I think he is funny and very good on the show, and I am kind-hearted enough to not really want to hurt his feelings.

                    Message 9 of 24 , Nov 5, 2011
                      I think the traits you are describing suggest Tony is turning into the new Clement Freud – vaguely curmudgeonly, interested in the game as a game, quite capable of the extremely witty comment. I think he could well develop into the guy who will keep the competitive side of the show going.

                      On a chairman, I think Gyles is most likely to be the next chairman – he is the closest to Nicholas in style, sort of hammy, good sense of comedy timing, and someone who could clearly become a target for leg-pulling, teasing and straight-out insults.

                      The others I see as possibilities are Julian Clary and Liza Tarbuck. Julian in particular would take the chairman’s role in a different direction, but a fun one. Liza already acts a bit like a straight man and I can see that working too.

                      Message 10 of 24 , Nov 5, 2011
                        On 05. nov. 2011 21:03, Dean wrote:

                        I think the traits you are describing suggest Tony is turning into the new Clement Freud – vaguely curmudgeonly, interested in the game as a game, quite capable of the extremely witty comment. I think he could well develop into the guy who will keep the competitive side of the show going.

                        ... But in a kind way, the Nicholas kind of way. If Clement were the chairman I am afraid he would have been far too much like you described a while ago, if the chairman was replaced by a computer.
                        In my mind Clement definitively was a panellist, not a chairman.
                        Another person I absolutely adore is Graham. But I do not think he would make a good chairman at all... his place in the JAM picture is as a regular panellist.

                        On a chairman, I think Gyles is most likely to be the next chairman – he is the closest to Nicholas in style, sort of hammy, good sense of comedy timing, and someone who could clearly become a target for leg-pulling, teasing and straight-out insults.

                        I see your point there. But isn't he almost *too* like Nickholas? And maybe too old, too? not that the next chairman would have to be expected to keep going for 50 years or so, but still...

                        The others I see as possibilities are Julian Clary and Liza Tarbuck. Julian in particular would take the chairman’s role in a different direction, but a fun one. Liza already acts a bit like a straight man and I can see that working too.

                        Julian! Haha, omg, that would be interesting to hear. I love Julian, but as a chairman?
                        It would be a very different direction indeed, but maybe, just maybe that's the exactly right thing to do?

                        Interesting thought.
                        Heres hoping we can discuss this topic for many, many more years with Nick in the chair!

                      • nylon net
                        Message 11 of 24 , Nov 5, 2011

                          Chairman Rob Brydon? Like Tony, he's controlled and interesting (and his man-trapped-in-a-box voice is great).
                          Chairman Julian Clary?  Now that would be interesting, but not to everyone's taste, I'd suspect.

                          Nick-lovers may want to skip the rest of this message...

                          The thing about Nic I'd have to say (meaning no disrespect) is that he's really just BLAND. He's the plain plate that best shows the magnificence of the meal upon it.
                          He does his job (at a plate) to deliver the richness of the guest morsels thereupon.

                          In fact whenever he _tries_ to be clever (e.g. with his attempts at doing accents or delivering ripostes), it often backfires and he's once again the goofy friend that makes the others look clever in comparison.

                          To keep up the tradition, one needs to find another (again, no disrespect intended) rather slow, vain, drab game show host...

                          O dear.  that didn't come out right at all.  I hope Nick doesn't google* _this_ message...

                          Mark

                          * Yes. I've decided to verbify** 'Google' as lowercase. I'll notify the Oxford dictionary people anon.

                          Yes I think they may think so too - but I actually disagree with that. There are plenty comedians to pick from as panellists. Chairman on the other hand... That's more difficult I think. And Tony has that particular british elegance, he's obviously funny but also has a keen eye for the rules and the english language.

                          I really, really believe in him as the chairman. Who else, really?
                          Anyone else has a good candidate? I'd love to read your reasoning. :)

                          On 05. nov. 2011 10:10, Dean wrote:

                          I would also like to think they will appoint him or someone else very familiar with the show as chairman. Tony could do a very good job though they may think he offers more as a member of the panel.

                          Try IM ToolPack Publish your photos in seconds for FREE
                          Try IM ToolPack at www.imtoolpack.com
                        • nylon net
                          Message 12 of 24 , Nov 5, 2011

                            Panellists hiding on this forum?

                            Ah ha! I've often suspected that pondydave is really Julian.

                            And DaveB's reverential account of "meeting" Tony H can only mean...

                            And Dean... "Dean". A four-letter name.  Just like "Nick"!  Coincidence?  I think NOT!

                            Come on guys. It's not funny any more!  Come clean!

                            Oh, and by the way, I'm actually named Sarah Sharpe - also known as the _whistleblower_

                            [dramatic chord]

                            Sarah

                            This was a really nice summary – it’s always great to have this sort of summary of a show.

                            It’s interesting how many of the players are aware of the site. I suppose like the rest of us even celebs occasionally google their own name.

                            I saw Tony in Bolton last night at the Albert Halls. Very nice 2 hours. I actually ran into him early on at the back of the building as he was getting stuff from his car, and it was like bumping into a mate...sooo friendly...and nice!

                            Try IM ToolPack Share photos & screenshots in seconds...
                            Try FREE IM ToolPack at www.imtoolpack.com
                          • David
                            Message 13 of 24 , Nov 5, 2011
                              We are all Nicholas Parsons.

                              Love, David
                            • nylon net
                              Message 14 of 24 , Nov 5, 2011
                                I'm not!

                                --

                                Dean

                                Message 15 of 24 , Nov 6, 2011
                                  I am...

                                  --
                                  Cheers

                                  Nick  __o
                                        \<,
                                  .....O/ O

                                  Message 16 of 24 , Nov 6, 2011
                                    I write all of these posts.

                                    Paul M.
                                  • Espen Krømke
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Nov 6, 2011
                                      Actually you are spot on with that description of Nic, Mark. And to me, that is exactly why I love him! Really, it is. He *is* bland, and rather slow. lol
                                      And those times when he do try to be clever he usually falls flat on his face. :D Haha you are so right. Gotta love mr Parsons!

                                      (I believe "to google" is already accepted as a word?)

                                      Message 18 of 24 , Nov 6, 2011
                                        When I say I have been getting letters from across the world, I also include all these emails.

                                        Nicolas

                                        Message 19 of 24 , Nov 6, 2011
                                          Dear Mr. Parsons.

                                          When is the best time to cook your nose as part of a Christmas dinner?

                                          Yours sincerely, Mrs. Trellis.