Re: [just-a-minute] When did the Classic Challenges Start?

  • The Dog Emily
    Message 1 of 7 , May 1, 2011
      Challenge? I've been reflecting on your use of the word "rewind". Is that just a word now to be used this way? I'm sure nothing was being wound at all but maybe it's just in common use.
      Lynn, who has no idea about the technical historical points and is just causing trouble

      Message 2 of 7 , May 1, 2011
        Hehe :)

        I don't think there is a word that fully can replace "rewind". Maybe
        "replay" in this case although that does not technically mean the same.
        The closest we get is the word "skip" or "cue" (I think?) but that's
        non-directional and much less descriptive. Nah, "rewind" is valid, no
        deviation in my opinion.

        That's one point to George for an incorrect challenge!

        Message 3 of 7 , May 1, 2011
          oh, fine,  I just wanted him to get a point! :)
          -Lynn

          On Sun, May 1, 2011 at 3:37 PM, Espen Krømke <espen.kromke@...> wrote:

          That's one point to George for an incorrect challenge!

        • Dave B
          Message 4 of 7 , May 2, 2011
            I agree with Dean. Nicholas just says things for the sake of building an occasion for the audience, so it's just showmanship.

            The show where Tony Hawks challenged for BBC irks me in that, after awarding that challenge as correct for years and years, Nicholas claimed Tony was being too picky, and disallowed the challenge. Tony's approach to making the challenge let himself down.

            In the early shows perfectly valid repetitions were turned down by Nicholas. I got the impression one could repeat individual words, but must not repeat ideas.

            The fastest way for anyone to look for the origins of classic challenges would be to search Dean's transcripts, but the missing episodes might make the answers impossible to find.

            The real challenge is to spot the number of Nicholas' firsts in an individual show

            But in which show does did Kenneth first say he was a cult?

            I can't wait for tomorrow evening. Oh, how many hours early do I have to be at the doors of the BBC theatre to be sure of my seat? I will certainly take a well-charged Ipod!

            Dave

            Message 5 of 7 , May 2, 2011
              A point!
              A point!