Re: Tickets

  • eric
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 1, 2010
      Congratulations and lucky you.

      I have still never got JAM or Now Show tickets yet!!

      One day, I dream...

      --- In just-a-minute@yahoogroups.com, "kirstygold" <kirstygold@...> wrote:

      > (Long time lurker, downloader and chuckler)
      >
      > Just had to share...... I GOT TICKETS, I GOT TICKETS, I GOT TICKETS, I GOT TICKETS, I GOT TICKETS, I GOT TICKETS, etc!
      >

      > Recording on the 16th of July - Will I meet any of y'all there????
      >

      > Kirsty

    • kirstygold
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 16, 2010
        IT'S TONIGHT. Can you tell my excitement??? I feel like a dog with 2 tails to wag! I'm down in London staying overnight with a friend because I wanted to be sure I wasn't going to miss it. ALTHOUGH at the foot of the ticket it says that having a ticket doesn't guarantee that you'll get in. Eeek!

        I've been listening to round the clock JAM thanks to
        http://stream.beatradar.com:8005/listen.pls :-D :-D

        Am I really not going to see any of you there? *Sad face*

        I had another email today from the bbc ticket unit saying there is another show being recorded on the 4th of August. (too soon for me to trek back to London) but I thought some of you here - specially you UK-ers might like the link.

        Kirsty

        http://www.bbc.co.uk/showsandtours/shows/shows/just_minute_july

        Just a Minute
        Just a Minute was devised by the late Ian Messiter who came up with the idea on the top of a number 13 bus. He suddenly remembered being given the horrible task of speaking for one minute without hesitation or deviation by one of his school masters.

        Producer David Hatch put the pilot show before a BBC development board who were sceptical that the series would run for more than six programmes.

        Thirty-five years later, chairman Nicholas Parsons continues to attempt, and mostly succeed, in keeping control over a roll-call of celebrity contenders attempting to talk on a subject for sixty seconds without hesitation, repetition or deviation.

        Due to the popularity of this show we are operating a random draw for tickets.

        You can enter the random draw at any time until Thursday 22 July at 4pm.

        No applications will be accepted after this date and time.

        You can apply for a maximum of two tickets per household.

        Recording on Wednesday 4 August at the BBC Radio Theatre, Broadcasting House, Portland Place, London. Doors open at 7.15pm.

        To enter the random draw, visit the BBC Tickets Website or call the BBC Ticket Line on 0370 901 1227*.

        Good luck with your application.

        Kind regards

        BBC Studio Audiences

        --- In just-a-minute@yahoogroups.com, "eric" <jameschapman@...> wrote:

        > Congratulations and lucky you.
        >
        > I have still never got JAM or Now Show tickets yet!!
        >

        > One day, I dream...
        >

        > --- In just-a-minute@yahoogroups.com, "kirstygold" <kirstygold@> wrote:
        > >
        > > (Long time lurker, downloader and chuckler)
        > >
        > > Just had to share...... I GOT TICKETS, I GOT TICKETS, I GOT TICKETS, I GOT TICKETS, I GOT TICKETS, I GOT TICKETS, etc!
        > >

        > > Recording on the 16th of July - Will I meet any of y'all there????
        > >

        > > Kirsty

      • kirstygold
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 16, 2010

          YAY !!!  The short version -  Went,  Laughed so much and was impressed by the quickness of some of the panalists.  No problems with the 'you're not guaranteed entry'  thing.  at half an hour to go to door opening, however,  we were 113 &4 in the queue.  The theatre holds about 300.

          (I've just written a longer version of this and my the Interwebs has eaten it!)

          Photographs weren't allowed but I took one of the stage  - very bare, black backdrop, 6 chairs, each space had a decanter of water, a note book/ pad of paper and a pen.

          The producer introduced the night - (can't at the moment remember her name)  She looked about 12 ! (Or is that just that I'm old!!) she gave some house rules, fire exits, mobilephones etc  then introduced Nicholas.

          Panel was  Paul Merton,  Gyles Brandreth,  Jenny Eclair and Graham Norton.

          Nicholas was looking very dapper - is he ever anything else!! in a black and red striped jacket.  His assistant scoring the thing was very demure in a black dress and embarrassed face when he pointed out that she had sort of sneaked on to the stage.

          I had read someone's review of going to a Clue recording and how disappointed they were that a lot (most?) of the stuff was scripted. (In my ignorance, I still thought it was ad libbed) HOWEVER,  aside from taking the odd note about the subject - and occasionally what other people said,  no one referred really to the notepads.

          Paul, in particular, looked out over the audience for most of the show and had a sort of half glazed look when he was obviously concentrating.   Gyles became very animated when he spoke and on a couple of occasions, startled other panel members.

          Jenny interrupted a lot with challenges for words like "I" or "Me" which sort of seemed a bit mean - a few times she was given the subject  but she did get a very gentle 'telling off' from Nicholas of 'we sometimes let words like that go'.

          Graham was very funny and had a good audience rapport.  He managed to get a couple of hints about things from someone at the front of the audience and got both huge laughs and extra points!  So if you hear reference to "the woman with the white dress"  that's why.  (she'd first reminded him why he'd buzzed,  there had been a lot of banter back and forward and everyone had forgotten where it had started from)

          In the first of the 2 shows recorded, each player had 2 subjects to start. In the second show there was a lot of banter in the middle about challenges and I think there were maybe only 5 or 6 rounds started instead of 8.

          After the first show,  a small trailer was recorded - Nicolas and Paul with a sort of "Just a minute is back tomorrow"   sort of thing.  The ending of that was done a few times - "next week"  and "today" Even that was ad libbed.  They both referred to the fact that the script for that was very sketchy!

          In the 2nd show, one of the topics was the Moon landing. Gyles clearly stated there was no such thing as a moon landing and it had all been shot in a film lot in America.  After challenging, Paul got that subject and started to tell a joke (Probably apocraphal) about Neil Armstrong and his neighbour. http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_was_armstrong_reference_about_his_neighbor_at_moon  link to the story
          Paul started the story and said something like "the punchline of which I can't really say on Just a Minute", he lost the subject but when he got it back again, he obviously had forgotten he'd said that - and went on to complete the joke with the expression Blow Job.  There was of course great hilarity  and several challenges (mainly since he'd repeated the phrase)  but he asked that he could  be given the last 5 seconds again, when he'd regained the subject.   He retold the ending with the words "goodnight kiss"

          There was also a sequence where Gyles was talking about the Balls Pond Road, apparently in Islington, N1.  Paul mischeviously challenged just so he could say variations on the expression "a lot of balls"   and went on to goad Nicholas into saying it back to him.  (He managed to resist..... mostly)

          At the end of that sequence, Nicholas kind of 'let himself go' a bit and did tell a story about Lord Rees, a statue and that he had asked for 3 inches to be taken off a young child's penis since he declared the original to be too rude to put on public display.

          I've always had an inkling that Nicholas can be a bit prissy about innuendo - maybe naive is what I mean - but I saw tonight that he knew fine well what was being said to him  - and why.   The next subject announced was "a straight aim"  which was greeted with vast hilarity from the audience - mainly at Graham's face (his round) and back on went Nicholas's   "What??????"  face!

          Recording started at 7-30.  It was 9-20 when we came out.  There was no other interaction with the audience at the end,  it was the close of programme speach  and then we all just got up and left, which I have to say was a bit of an anti-climax.

          Hilarious bits of the night included a round about "Our American Cousins"  with Graham declaring that we must have had a fat aunt and uncle  - and a small rant about how large Americans are. (all tongue in cheek)   4 minutes later when he had the subject back, he started off with how All Americans are really into fitness and keeping fit and how  they are at the gym so much.   The complete backtrack was very funny.
          Gyles had a great start to a subject about sailing west from Bristol to find the Western World of the Americas.   Paul's interruption about Bristol not being part of the western world then???  was taken as a running gag throughout the first show.

          Gyles also had a great subject about Roundheads and Cavalliers.
          Paul, straight faced throughout with his dead pan look, burst into genuine laughter at something Graham said,  and I wish I had a better memory to remember what it was!!

          Get tickets if you can.  The whole thing was hilarious.  The audience had a sort of cameradery - we all like this slightly goofy / nerdy/ off beat  programme.  Lots of conversation broke out spontaneously round the hall before the panel came in - who was going to be there,  who had heard what about tonight, who were 'good guests'  and who would be 'rubbish'.  No one was rubbish!!!

          I look forward to hearing how they've edited them down.  (Certainly the balls routine will have gone!!)

          Sorry it's long - but  I've completely wound down now.  Thank you for letting me de-brief! (I really was hyper about this!  Friend was nearly slapping me at one point to get me to calm down!)

          Kirsty

          --- In just-a-minute@yahoogroups.com, "Dean" <dbedford@...> wrote:

          > we want a report on who was in the shows and how they went! Urgently!
          >
          > have fun

          > dean

        • Dean
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 17, 2010
            we want a report on who was in the shows and how they went! Urgently!

            have fun
             Smile emoticon

            dean

            Sent: Friday, July 16, 2010 9:12 AM
            Subject: [just-a-minute] Re: Tickets

            IT'S TONIGHT. Can you tell my excitement??? I feel like a dog with 2 tails to wag! I'm down in London staying overnight with a friend because I wanted to be sure I wasn't going to miss it. ALTHOUGH at the foot of the ticket it says that having a ticket doesn't guarantee that you'll get in. Eeek!

            I've been listening to round the clock JAM thanks to
            http://stream.beatradar.com:8005/listen.pls :-D :-D

            Am I really not going to see any of you there? *Sad face*

            I had another email today from the bbc ticket unit saying there is another show being recorded on the 4th of August. (too soon for me to trek back to London) but I thought some of you here - specially you UK-ers might like the link.

            Kirsty

            http://www.bbc.co.uk/showsandtours/shows/shows/just_minute_july

            Just a Minute
            Just a Minute was devised by the late Ian Messiter who came up with the idea on the top of a number 13 bus. He suddenly remembered being given the horrible task of speaking for one minute without hesitation or deviation by one of his school masters.

            Producer David Hatch put the pilot show before a BBC development board who were sceptical that the series would run for more than six programmes.

            Thirty-five years later, chairman Nicholas Parsons continues to attempt, and mostly succeed, in keeping control over a roll-call of celebrity contenders attempting to talk on a subject for sixty seconds without hesitation, repetition or deviation.

            Due to the popularity of this show we are operating a random draw for tickets.

            You can enter the random draw at any time until Thursday 22 July at 4pm.

            No applications will be accepted after this date and time.

            You can apply for a maximum of two tickets per household.

            Recording on Wednesday 4 August at the BBC Radio Theatre, Broadcasting House, Portland Place, London. Doors open at 7.15pm.

            To enter the random draw, visit the BBC Tickets Website or call the BBC Ticket Line on 0370 901 1227*.

            Good luck with your application.

            Kind regards

            BBC Studio Audiences

            http://www.bbc.co.uk/showsandtours/shows/shows/just_minute_july

            --- In just-a-minute@yahoogroups.com, "eric" <jameschapman@...> wrote:

            > Congratulations and lucky you.
            >
            > I have still never got
            JAM or Now Show tickets yet!!

            > One day, I
            dream...

            href="mailto:just-a-minute%40yahoogroups.com">just-a-minute@yahoogroups.com, "kirstygold" <kirstygold@> wrote:

            > > (Long time
            lurker, downloader and chuckler)

            > > Just had to
            share...... I GOT TICKETS, I GOT TICKETS, I GOT TICKETS, I GOT TICKETS, I GOT TICKETS, I GOT TICKETS, etc!

            > > Recording
            on the 16th of July - Will I meet any of y'all there????

            > > Kirsty

          • Dean
            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 17, 2010
              great report Kirsty - one of the best I've seen. Sounds like a great start to the series.  Do you mind if I post this on the blog?

              many many thanks

              Dean

              Sent: Friday, July 16, 2010 4:24 PM

> [...]

              Get tickets if you can.  The whole thing was hilarious.  The audience had a sort of cameradery - we all like this slightly goofy / nerdy/ off beat  programme.  Lots of conversation broke out spontaneously round the hall before the panel came in - who was going to be there,  who had heard what about tonight, who were 'good guests'  and who would be 'rubbish'.  No one was rubbish!!!

              I look forward to hearing how they've edited them down.  (Certainly the balls routine will have gone!!)

              Sorry it's long - but  I've completely wound down now.  Thank you for letting me de-brief! (I really was hyper about this!  Friend was nearly slapping me at one point to get me to calm down!)

              Kirsty

              --- In just-a-minute@ yahoogroups. com, "Dean" <dbedford@...> wrote:

              > we want a report on who was
              in the shows and how they went! Urgently!

              fun

              > dean

              9:12 AM
              href="mailto:just-a-minute@yahoogroups.com">just-a-minute@ yahoogroups. com

              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 17, 2010
                :-) Glad you liked it. I was hoping to include some things of why it was different to be there and not just listening and some of the 'what did it look like' sort of thing that I've often wondered.

                I'd be happy for you to post wherever. Glad you liked it.
                :-D
                Kirsty

                And I wish I could have remembered when they said it was starting - it's not long though either the first or 2nd week in August.