Re: missing no more

  • lapsedcat
    Message 1 of 8 , May 1, 2009
      It is very well known for non-Brits to be enobled. Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Hillary pick up a K? And surely Roger Douglas has garnered at least a baronial title?

      --- In just-a-minute@yahoogroups.com, Dean Bedford <dbedford@...> wrote:

      > On Thursday, April 30, 2009, at 07:49 PM, nylon net wrote:
      >

      > > Cool!  I hope they give knighthoods for this sort of thing.
      > >

      > Arise Sir Martin! Unfortunately as an Australian he is ineligible for
      > this...
      >
      > but I believe it has been known for non-Brits to be given peerages. So
      > maybe Lord Hood of Queanbeyan .... for services to Just A Minute and
      > obsessive collectors!
      >
      > :)

    • Dean Bedford
      Message 2 of 8 , May 1, 2009
        New Zealand does have knighthoods (recently reintroduced after we
        stopped giving them out for a bit) but they were abandoned in Australia
        in the early 70s.

        On Friday, May 1, 2009, at 07:03 PM, lapsedcat wrote:

        > It is very well known for non-Brits to be enobled. Correct me if I'm
        > wrong, but didn't Hillary pick up a K? And surely Roger Douglas has
        > garnered at least a baronial title?
      • nylon net
        Message 3 of 8 , May 2, 2009
          I think the classic line comes from The Goodies:

          "I want to be an Earl *and* have an OBE!"
          "That would make you an earlobe."

          Mark
          I wish we still had knighthoods. The 'Order of Australia' sounds like a request in a restaurant.

          nylon.net
          nylon@...