Subjects used muliple times

  • Miriam
    Message 1 of 15 , Sep 1, 2008
      Tonight while listening to JAM on my MP3 player- I listened to 2
      different shows but both had the Same subject and I swear it's been
      used once more besides those 2 times.
      The subject was "Fudge"
      -- the 1st show it was with Kenneth, Derek,Wendy R & Peter Jones
      - the 2nd was with Kenneth, tim rice, peter, & derek
      and I seemed to remember Fudge used again with wendey,clement,paul,and
      someone else(graham ?)I remember a disagreement about "condensed milk"
      in that one

      So I got wondering is there any Other subject that has been used 3
      times or more? I had the mp3 player on shuffle so it was odd that I
      would get 2 shows with the same subject by randam chance. Miriam
    • thomaswake16
      Message 2 of 15 , Sep 1, 2008
        My brief Google search suggests it may have been used at least four times!

        http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=+site:www.geocities.com+%22welcome+to+just+a+minute%22+fudge

        --- In just-a-minute@yahoogroups.com, "Miriam" <delmelza@...> wrote:

        > Tonight while listening to JAM on my MP3 player- I listened to 2
        > different shows but both had the Same subject and I swear it's been
        > used once more besides those 2 times.
        > The subject was "Fudge"
        > -- the 1st show it was with Kenneth, Derek,Wendy R & Peter Jones
        > - the 2nd was with Kenneth, tim rice, peter, & derek
        > and I seemed to remember Fudge used again with wendey,clement,paul,and
        > someone else(graham ?)I remember a disagreement about "condensed milk"
        > in that one
        >
        > So I got wondering is there any Other subject that has been used 3
        > times or more? I had the mp3 player on shuffle so it was odd that I
        > would get 2 shows with the same subject by randam chance. Miriam

      • Robert Torres
        Message 3 of 15 , Sep 1, 2008
          One that was definitely used 3 times over the course of the long history of the series was llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch.  Not the most obvious choice to have multiple times.

          But the first time I believe was when they had all four of the original panelists together.  The second time I think they had Kenneth, Clement, Derek (or Peter) and Martin Jarvis.

          The more recent one I believe had Paul, Clement, Linda Smith and someone else I can't remember.

          Message 4 of 15 , Sep 1, 2008
            On Monday, September 1, 2008, at 07:05 PM, Miriam wrote:

            > Tonight while listening to JAM on my MP3 player- I listened to 2
            > different shows but both had the Same subject and I swear it's been
            > used once more besides those 2 times.
            > The subject was "Fudge"
            > -- the 1st show it was with Kenneth, Derek,Wendy R & Peter Jones
            > - the 2nd was with Kenneth, tim rice, peter, & derek
            > and I seemed to remember Fudge used again with wendey,clement,paul,and
            > someone else(graham ?)I remember a disagreement about "condensed milk"
            > in that one
            >
            > So I got wondering is there any Other subject that has been used 3
            > times or more? I had the mp3 player on shuffle so it was odd that I
            > would get 2 shows with the same subject by randam chance. Miriam

            It is interesting that some subjects come up again and again. One of the
            weirder coincidences is that the same subject "how to attract someone's
            attention" was used as FIRST SUBJECT in both 628 and 630 - two weeks
            apart!
          • howstean
            Message 5 of 15 , Sep 1, 2008
              > It is interesting that some subjects come up again and again. One of
              the
              > weirder coincidences is that the same subject "how to attract someone's
              > attention" was used as FIRST SUBJECT in both 628 and 630 - two weeks
              > apart!

              Yes, I wondered about that at the time. I know that recording sessions
              for Clue ran for a lot longer than broadcast, and rounds were tried
              and discarded to be re-recorded at a later session. But I believe JAM
              doesn't have that luxury, so an obvious mistake had to be left in.

              Does anyone know if a recording has ever been such a failure that the
              whole show had to be scrapped ? I seem to remember hearing of one
              episode when Kenneth Williams got in a temper and refused to
              contribute for most of the show, but it went out more or less as
              recorded, I believe.

              Regards
              Phil
            • Robert Torres
              Message 6 of 15 , Sep 1, 2008
                That particular instance was always something I found rather weird, to have the same opening subject two weeks apart.  Its one thing to reuse a subject from the past during the show, but to have the same opening subject nearly two weeks running, it makes one wonder if the subject setters are just getting sloppy.

                Message 7 of 15 , Sep 1, 2008
                  Actually there have been shows that have occurred during Kenneth's time with the show when if he was really pissed off, he'd sulk and go very quiet for most of the show.  The prime example of it being that one episode where Clement, Derek and Patrick Moore were on the panel, and Kenneth was given the subject of MacReady, and gets buzzed for deviation after about 5 seconds because of devious grammar, referring to MacReady as one of the great Actor/Managers of England rather than the great English Actor/Manager.  And for most of the show he was very quiet and didn't say anything cuz he was pissed off.

                  > It is interesting that some subjects come up again and again. One of
                  the
                  > weirder coincidences is that the same subject "how to attract someone's
                  > attention" was used as FIRST SUBJECT in both 628 and 630 - two weeks
                  > apart!

                  Yes, I wondered about that at the time. I know that recording sessions
                  for Clue ran for a lot longer than broadcast, and rounds were tried
                  and discarded to be re-recorded at a later session. But I believe JAM
                  doesn't have that luxury, so an obvious mistake had to be left in.

                  Does anyone know if a recording has ever been such a failure that the
                  whole show had to be scrapped ? I seem to remember hearing of one
                  episode when Kenneth Williams got in a temper and refused to
                  contribute for most of the show, but it went out more or less as
                  recorded, I believe.

                  Regards
                  Phil

                • William Clarkson
                  Message 8 of 15 , Sep 1, 2008
                    I believe the subjects green fingers, and body language have also been
                    used more than once. You may recall the herbaceous border argument
                    that Paul made (on green fingers) and held up the show for almost 2
                    minutes. Both body language segments stood out, one Greg made and
                    obscene gesture, twice, and was had for repetition. The other was by
                    Stephen Fry, who brought the show to a standstill by claiming his
                    bottom spoke fluent German.

                    Dean, when I saw this subject come up, I too though about the How to
                    attract someone's attention episodes. It is interesting to note, that
                    Linda Smith appeared on both episodes. The one where Paul takes the
                    subject first and ignores Nicholas is one of my favourites and I have
                    to be careful not to mix it up with the other.

                    --- In just-a-minute@yahoogroups.com, "howstean" <howstean2@...> wrote:

                    > > It is interesting that some subjects come up again and again. One of
                    > the
                    > > weirder coincidences is that the same subject "how to attract
                    someone's
                    > > attention" was used as FIRST SUBJECT in both 628 and 630 - two weeks
                    > > apart!
                    > >

                    > Yes, I wondered about that at the time. I know that recording sessions
                    > for Clue ran for a lot longer than broadcast, and rounds were tried
                    > and discarded to be re-recorded at a later session. But I believe JAM
                    > doesn't have that luxury, so an obvious mistake had to be left in.
                    >
                    > Does anyone know if a recording has ever been such a failure that the
                    > whole show had to be scrapped ? I seem to remember hearing of one
                    > episode when Kenneth Williams got in a temper and refused to
                    > contribute for most of the show, but it went out more or less as
                    > recorded, I believe.
                    >
                    > Regards
                    > Phil

                  • Robert Torres
                    Message 9 of 15 , Sep 1, 2008
                      Ah, the herbaceous border argument, truly one of the great highlights of this series.

                      I believe the subjects green fingers, and body language have also been
                      used more than once. You may recall the herbaceous border argument
                      that Paul made (on green fingers) and held up the show for almost 2
                      minutes. Both body language segments stood out, one Greg made and
                      obscene gesture, twice, and was had for repetition. The other was by
                      Stephen Fry, who brought the show to a standstill by claiming his
                      bottom spoke fluent German.

                      Dean, when I saw this subject come up, I too though about the How to
                      attract someone's attention episodes. It is interesting to note, that
                      Linda Smith appeared on both episodes. The one where Paul takes the
                      subject first and ignores Nicholas is one of my favourites and I have
                      to be careful not to mix it up with the other.

                      --- In just-a-minute@ yahoogroups. com, "howstean" <howstean2@. ..> wrote:

                      > > It is interesting that some subjects come up again and again. One of
                      > the
                      > > weirder coincidences is that the same subject "how to attract
                      someone's
                      > > attention" was used as FIRST SUBJECT in both 628 and 630 - two weeks
                      > > apart!
                      > >

                      > Yes, I wondered about that at the time. I know that recording sessions
                      > for Clue ran for a lot longer than broadcast, and rounds were tried
                      > and discarded to be re-recorded at a later session. But I believe JAM
                      > doesn't have that luxury, so an obvious mistake had to be left in.
                      >
                      > Does anyone know if a recording has ever been such a failure that the
                      > whole show had to be scrapped ? I seem to remember hearing of one
                      > episode when Kenneth Williams got in a temper and refused to
                      > contribute for most of the show, but it went out more or less as
                      > recorded, I believe.
                      >
                      > Regards
                      > Phil

                    • Emile Jumean
                      Message 10 of 15 , Sep 2, 2008
                        --- In just-a-minute@yahoogroups.com, "howstean" <howstean2@...> >
                        Does anyone know if a recording has ever been such a failure that the
                        > whole show had to be scrapped ? I seem to remember hearing of one
                        > episode when Kenneth Williams got in a temper and refused to
                        > contribute for most of the show, but it went out more or less as
                        > recorded, I believe.

                        I remember reading about an episode that was recorded way back in the
                        early days of JAM. The guest was Nyree Dawn Porter, and from what I
                        remember reading, Kenneth verbally attacked her so viciously that she
                        left the show in tears. Needless to say, the programme was scrapped.

                        Emile
                      • juliajellicoe
                        Message 11 of 15 , Sep 2, 2008
                          Patrick was back on the panel in a 1980 episode when Kenneth
                          misidentified an oil about the halfway point, Derek gently corrected
                          him (macassa), and that was the last Kenneth spoke. Nicholas felt
                          compelled to say he finished in fourth place but the program couldn't
                          do without him, so he must have been pouting big time.

                          --- In just-a-minute@yahoogroups.com, Robert Torres
                          <bobbyshaddoe3004@...> wrote:

                          > Actually there have been shows that have occurred during Kenneth's
                          time with the show when if he was really pissed off, he'd sulk and go
                          very quiet for most of the show.  The prime example of it being that
                          one episode where Clement, Derek and Patrick Moore were on the panel,
                          and Kenneth was given the subject of MacReady, and gets buzzed for
                          deviation after about 5 seconds because of devious grammar, referring
                          to MacReady as one of the great Actor/Managers of England rather than
                          the great English Actor/Manager.  And for most of the show he was
                          very quiet and didn't say anything cuz he was pissed off.

                          > > Does anyone know if a recording has ever been such a failure that
                          the
                          > whole show had to be scrapped ? I seem to remember hearing of one
                          > episode when Kenneth Williams got in a temper and refused to
                          > contribute for most of the show, but it went out more or less as
                          > recorded, I believe.
                          >
                          > Regards
                          > Phil

                        • linda
                          Message 12 of 15 , Sep 3, 2008
                            <bobbyshaddoe3004@...> wrote:

                            > That particular instance was always something I found rather weird,
                            to have the same opening subject two weeks apart.  Its one thing to
                            reuse a subject from the past during the show, but to have the same
                            opening subject nearly two weeks running, it makes one wonder if the
                            subject setters are just getting sloppy.

                            i supopse it depends if the shows were recorded a while apart ( i
                            remember comments being made here about shows being recorded in one
                            season and not broadcast until the next one )

                            cheers
                            Linda
                          • Robert Torres
                            Message 13 of 15 , Sep 3, 2008

                              That is true, from what I recall about how the show is done nowadays, very often they will record almost two or even three shows in one sitting, and the material from that recording is then edited into two separate shows.

                              on a personal side note, for my own amusement I use the Audacity program to try and edit shows together, usually ones that have the same panelists together, in order to get an idea of what it might be like actually sitting in the audience for an unedited and uncut edition of JAM.

                              > That particular instance was always something I found rather weird,
                              to have the same opening subject two weeks apart.  Its one thing to
                              reuse a subject from the past during the show, but to have the same
                              opening subject nearly two weeks running, it makes one wonder if the
                              subject setters are just getting sloppy.

                              i supopse it depends if the shows were recorded a while apart ( i
                              remember comments being made here about shows being recorded in one
                              season and not broadcast until the next one )

                              cheers
                              Linda

                            • Cat
                              Message 14 of 15 , Sep 3, 2008
                                Yes, I think sometimes shows broadcast in one series can be recorded
                                over the full 12 months so it's not like a regular series recording,
                                but surely just writing the subjects down as you record them would
                                help? There shouldn't really be a situation where you run out of ideas
                                within 1 or 2 years.

                                It's not so bad with a bit of time between it, especially if you've
                                got different players. When they recorded in Manchester earlier this
                                year they used 'Old Trafford', which I'm almost certain was used last
                                time they recorded here with Arthur Smith, but as that was in 1994 (I
                                think!) it doesn't really matter as the subject is dealt with in a
                                different way.

                                I'm more amused with the fact it's straightforward repetition rather
                                than even a variation on a theme. But if different people can take it
                                in different directions then it's all fine with me!

                                PS: Herbaceous borders is in my humble opinion the funniest couple of
                                minutes on radio....possibly only rivalled by Jeremy Hardy singing.

                                --- In just-a-minute@yahoogroups.com, "linda" <irishmanufan@...> wrote:

                                > --- In just-a-minute@yahoogroups.com, Robert Torres
                                > <bobbyshaddoe3004@> wrote:
                                > >
                                > > That particular instance was always something I found rather weird,
                                > to have the same opening subject two weeks apart.  Its one thing to
                                > reuse a subject from the past during the show, but to have the same
                                > opening subject nearly two weeks running, it makes one wonder if the
                                > subject setters are just getting sloppy.
                                >

                                > i supopse it depends if the shows were recorded a while apart ( i
                                > remember comments being made here about shows being recorded in one
                                > season and not broadcast until the next one )
                                >
                                > cheers
                                > Linda

                              • Robert Torres
                                Message 15 of 15 , Sep 4, 2008
                                  Herbacious borders, the true spark of comedic anarchy.  I especially loved how Paul got in a tizzy over the ludicrousness of Nicholas allowing Clement to keep the subject. Especially after a very lame justification on how its possible for a herbacious border to outwit someone else's.  I loved how he was backed up by Linda Smith as they both gave numerous hilarious examples on how a herbacious border can outwit someone.
                                  The joys of improvisation.