Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.
 

Re: Will we ever see a "live" JAM cd set

Expand Messages
  • kj.naughton
    ... I think the problem is one of capacity. The Radio Theatre in Broadcasting House in London can hold 310 people whereas if it were to be held in (say) New
    Message 1 of 18 , Jun 1, 2008
      --- In just-a-minute@yahoogroups.com, "Cat" <camc_84@...> wrote:
      >
      > Just one thought though: Is there a particular reason they don't use
      > the Manchester BBC studios on Oxford Rd? Perhaps they're not suitable
      > (I don't know, I've never been), but maybe this will change with the
      > new MediaCity in Salford. If they come back again that is!

      I think the problem is one of capacity. The Radio Theatre in
      Broadcasting House in London can hold 310 people whereas if it were to
      be held in (say) New Broadcasting House in Manchester then it would
      have to be held in TV studio where the capacity is nearer 100 as NBHM
      doesn't have a radio theatre.

      When I saw ISIHAC recorded at the Manchester Opera House, the capacity
      was 1,920. Put simply, lots more people could be at a recording in a
      theatre. WHich is clearly better for the fan base and arguably
      produces a better "atmosphere" for the recording itself.

      It's noticeable that not even all of the London recordings are done in
      the Radio Theatre and several have been at other theatres, for example
      the Mermaid.

      MediaCity:UK at Salford does include theatre and event spaces so it is
      possible that free shows will be coming to the Manchester area.
      However given that MediaCity isn't owned by the BBC the likelihood
      must be that they'll also be chargeable as the BBC would probably have
      to pay the landlords for use of the theatre.
    • linda
      ... some ... Extras , ... Wolverhampton in ... that were ... i downloaded it fomr uk nova . very interesting too . cheers Linda
      Message 2 of 18 , Jun 1, 2008
        --- In just-a-minute@yahoogroups.com, "Clitheroe Kid"
        <clitheroekid@...> wrote:
        >
        > You may be able to find through uTorrent ( http://www.utorrent.com )
        some
        > material from ISIHAC which includes a recording, listed as "ISIHAC
        Extras",
        > made by a member of the audience at a recording session in
        Wolverhampton in
        > 2001.
        >
        > The sound quality is not great, but it includes all the material which
        > didn't get included in the broadcast versions of the two editions
        that were
        > recorded on that occasion.

        i downloaded it fomr uk nova . very interesting too .
        cheers
        Linda
      • Cat
        Really, I had no idea that it was that small. That does make sense to house it in a larger theatre when presumably the reason they started taking it outside of
        Message 3 of 18 , Jun 1, 2008
          Really, I had no idea that it was that small. That does make sense to
          house it in a larger theatre when presumably the reason they started
          taking it outside of London was to allow more people access to recordings.

          I don't mind, I work on Quay Street anyway, so it's just a stagger
          down the street for me after work!



          > I think the problem is one of capacity. The Radio Theatre in
          > Broadcasting House in London can hold 310 people whereas if it were to
          > be held in (say) New Broadcasting House in Manchester then it would
          > have to be held in TV studio where the capacity is nearer 100 as NBHM
          > doesn't have a radio theatre.
          >
          > When I saw ISIHAC recorded at the Manchester Opera House, the capacity
          > was 1,920. Put simply, lots more people could be at a recording in a
          > theatre. WHich is clearly better for the fan base and arguably
          > produces a better "atmosphere" for the recording itself.
          >
          > It's noticeable that not even all of the London recordings are done in
          > the Radio Theatre and several have been at other theatres, for example
          > the Mermaid.
          >
          > MediaCity:UK at Salford does include theatre and event spaces so it is
          > possible that free shows will be coming to the Manchester area.
          > However given that MediaCity isn't owned by the BBC the likelihood
          > must be that they'll also be chargeable as the BBC would probably have
          > to pay the landlords for use of the theatre.
          >
        • Clitheroe Kid
          I have been to Broadcasting House at Oxford Road in Manchester. The studios there are not equipped for audiences, so you could only record a non-audience show.
          Message 4 of 18 , Jun 3, 2008
            I have been to Broadcasting House at Oxford Road in Manchester. The studios
            there are not equipped for audiences, so you could only record a
            non-audience show.

            In the old days, recordings which required a studio audience were done at
            the Hulme Hippodrome, a converted variety theatre. Hulme is the part of the
            city where Old Trafford football ground is located.

            The Hulme Hipp was sold by the BBC in the 1980s. BBC Manchester no longer
            have any in-house facilities for recording in front of an audience.


            ----- Original Message -----
            From: "Cat" <camc_84@...>
            To: <just-a-minute@yahoogroups.com>
            Sent: Saturday, May 31, 2008 11:21 PM
            Subject: [just-a-minute] Re: Will we ever see a "live" JAM cd set


            I don't at all mind paying £5 for an evening's entertainment. Nothing
            else in the city will be as good value for money!

            It makes sense that if they do have to hire venues they may need to
            impose a charge in order to offset the extra costs

            Just one thought though: Is there a particular reason they don't use
            the Manchester BBC studios on Oxford Rd? Perhaps they're not suitable
            (I don't know, I've never been), but maybe this will change with the
            new MediaCity in Salford. If they come back again that is!

            --- In just-a-minute@yahoogroups.com, Dean Bedford <dbedford@...> wrote:
            >
            >
            > On Sunday, June 1, 2008, at 06:42 AM, Clitheroe Kid wrote:
            >
            > >
            > > As to charging for seats to hear a radio recording, the BBC make no
            > > charge
            > > for admission. So if you go to a recording at the Radio Theatre in
            > > Broadcasting House, London the tickets are free.
            > >
            > > If the recording is in a commercial theatre outside London, a small
            > > charge
            > > of £5 per seat ($10 US) is made by the theatre to cover its costs, in
            > > addition to the fee it charges the BBC for hire of the theatre for
            the
            > > day.
            >
            > In general, quite right, but I wasn't charged at the Edinburgh
            recording
            > I attended, which was widely advertised as one of the few free events
            > that you could see during the Festival. I guess it's on a
            venue-by-venue
            > basis outside Broadcasting House.
            >



            ------------------------------------

            Yahoo! Groups Links
          • Clitheroe Kid
            Sorry, I forgot to mention the tiny television studio at BH Manchester. It would obviously not be suitable. They used to get audiences of 800+ for radio
            Message 5 of 18 , Jun 3, 2008
              Sorry, I forgot to mention the tiny television studio at BH Manchester.

              It would obviously not be suitable. They used to get audiences of 800+ for
              radio recordings at the Hulme Hippodrome in the 1970s, for shows produced by
              James Casey or Mike Craig. And as you say, JAM can fill a 2,000-seater
              theatre.

              You might like to know that Mike Craig will be on BBC 7 this Saturday
              morning, at 9am (repeated at 8pm), talking about the radio shows he made at
              the Hulme Hippodrome in the '70s.

              In London, BBC policy seems to be only to use the Radio Theatre at
              Broadcasting House for shows such as "Quote Unquote", where the audience is
              rather small. I've been to lunchtime recordings of that show where barely
              half the seats were taken.

              If the size of the audience justifies it, they hire a theatre or use the old
              Drill Hall (where they do the recordings for the quiz "Brain of Britain"),
              because otherwise they get problems with so many people having to be turned
              down for tickets.


              ----- Original Message -----
              From: "kj.naughton" <kj.naughton@...>
              To: <just-a-minute@yahoogroups.com>
              Sent: Sunday, June 01, 2008 11:48 AM
              Subject: [just-a-minute] Re: Will we ever see a "live" JAM cd set


              > --- In just-a-minute@yahoogroups.com, "Cat" <camc_84@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > Just one thought though: Is there a particular reason they don't use
              > > the Manchester BBC studios on Oxford Rd? Perhaps they're not suitable
              > > (I don't know, I've never been), but maybe this will change with the
              > > new MediaCity in Salford. If they come back again that is!
              >
              > I think the problem is one of capacity. The Radio Theatre in
              > Broadcasting House in London can hold 310 people whereas if it were to
              > be held in (say) New Broadcasting House in Manchester then it would
              > have to be held in TV studio where the capacity is nearer 100 as NBHM
              > doesn't have a radio theatre.
              >
              > When I saw ISIHAC recorded at the Manchester Opera House, the capacity
              > was 1,920. Put simply, lots more people could be at a recording in a
              > theatre. WHich is clearly better for the fan base and arguably
              > produces a better "atmosphere" for the recording itself.
              >
              > It's noticeable that not even all of the London recordings are done in
              > the Radio Theatre and several have been at other theatres, for example
              > the Mermaid.
              >
              > MediaCity:UK at Salford does include theatre and event spaces so it is
              > possible that free shows will be coming to the Manchester area.
              > However given that MediaCity isn't owned by the BBC the likelihood
              > must be that they'll also be chargeable as the BBC would probably have
              > to pay the landlords for use of the theatre.
            Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.