Re: Humphrey Lyttleton: A Celebration (R4 April 30 2008)

  • Paul Wimsett
    Message 1 of 5 , May 1 2:33 AM
      --- In just-a-minute@yahoogroups.com, "frankntom" <frankntom@...> wrote:

      > Hi there,
      >
      > Isn't modern techonology useful? my computer in the US recorded this
      UK
      > radio broadcast, and now you, no matter where you are (providing you
      > have a computer!), can have your very own copy!
      >
      > The link is to the left, in the (duh) links section. If you can't wait
      > the few seconds it'll take you to navigate over there ..... click here
      > <http://www.megaupload.com/?d=KZJFJ1UZ> !

      It's strange to see Denise Coffrey and Bill Tidy as guest stars on
      Clue, we associate it so much with Tim Brooke-Taylor, Graeme Garden,
      Barry Cryer and Willie Rushton, even though I knew that Bill Oddie and
      Jo Kendall were on the panel to start with-maybe the first episode. Of
      course they still had guest stars later on.

      There it is. The past tense.
    • Dean Bedford
      Message 2 of 5 , May 2 12:06 AM
        On Thursday, May 1, 2008, at 09:33 PM, Paul Wimsett wrote:

        > It's strange to see Denise Coffrey and Bill Tidy as guest stars on
        > Clue, we associate it so much with Tim Brooke-Taylor, Graeme Garden,
        > Barry Cryer and Willie Rushton, even though I knew that Bill Oddie and
        > Jo Kendall were on the panel to start with-maybe the first episode. Of
        > course they still had guest stars later on.
        >
        > There it is. The past tense.

        In this story both Graeme and Barry say they want the show to continue.

        http://www.chortle.co.uk/news/2008/04/30/6713/humphrey_lyttelton_day
      • lapsedcat
        Message 3 of 5 , May 2 12:24 AM
          While I think it would be unwise to carry on, not least because Barry
          himself is in his mid-seventies, and to end on fifty series seems a
          logical thing to do, I guess that Graham's sporadic appearances on
          Holby City, Tim's occasional forays into short-lived forgetable
          sitcoms and the pair's lack of repeat fees for the Goodies, means
          that they need the money. Barry presumably needs beer money as well.

          That said, if they chose a particularly good replacement for Humph -
          so far the names Jack Dee, Stephen Fry, Denise Van Outen and Kit
          Hesketh-Hardy spring to mind (alright, I was kidding about Denise) -
          and possibly changed the rounds around a bit to freshen up the
          format, then it might just work. And if they could persuade Merton to
          return occasionally as a guest, along with Phill Jupitus (his handful
          of shows were, in my mind, standouts) then who's to say they couldn't
          be good?

          Of course, they'd never quite recapture the same magic, but then, JAM
          itself isn't the same as it was since the deaths of Nimmo and Jones,
          and Freud's increasing dodderiness.

          --- In just-a-minute@yahoogroups.com, Dean Bedford <dbedford@...>

          Message 4 of 5 , May 2 2:18 AM
            --- In just-a-minute@yahoogroups.com, "lapsedcat" <lapsedcat@...>
            wrote:

            > While I think it would be unwise to carry on, not least because
            Barry
            > himself is in his mid-seventies, and to end on fifty series seems a
            > logical thing to do, I guess that Graham's sporadic appearances on
            > Holby City, Tim's occasional forays into short-lived forgetable
            > sitcoms and the pair's lack of repeat fees for the Goodies, means
            > that they need the money. Barry presumably needs beer money as
            well.

            > That said, if they chose a particularly good replacement for Humph -

            > so far the names Jack Dee, Stephen Fry, Denise Van Outen and Kit
            > Hesketh-Hardy spring to mind (alright, I was kidding about Denise) -

            > and possibly changed the rounds around a bit to freshen up the
            > format, then it might just work. And if they could persuade Merton
            > return occasionally as a guest, along with Phill Jupitus (his
            handful
            > of shows were, in my mind, standouts) then who's to say they
            couldn't
            > be good?
            >
            > Of course, they'd never quite recapture the same magic, but then,
            JAM
            > itself isn't the same as it was since the deaths of Nimmo and
            Jones,
            > and Freud's increasing dodderiness.

            So how come dodderiness was all right in Humph (and Peter Jones) and
            not in Sir Clement? There's still Ben Schott, a left of field choice,
            but then Humph was left of field. I'm not sure about you going on
            about 'freshing up the format', this was always being done-it wasn't
            the same show that was 1972.

            Humph says that there be no misplaced loyalty in not keeping the
            programme-but in the end it's up to the listeners to judge.