Re: Van Loan designs - supplementary message

  • Alan Maddog! MacBride
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 1, 2000
      --- In junkrig@egroups.com, "Paul Stewart-Day" <stewartday@h...>
      wrote:
      > Hello again. I didn't receive any responses from Van Loan design
      > users, so I suspect that noone in the junkrig group, other than
      > myself, sails or has sailed a boat with his junk rig design. His
      book
      > is mentioned in a couple of junk websites and it is available from
      > few online sources. It has been updated over the years. If anyone
      > wants to obtain a copy let me know and I will pass on the website
      > addresses of the bookshops.
      > Since I sent the first message it has occured to me that I had
      > forgotten that I had made a couple of modifications/additions to
      Van
      > Loan's design: I made the top panel of the sail a little more
      peaked
      > than his, to assist in windward ability, but not as much as some
      > designers' top panel, to avoid sag. In order to move the centre of
      > effort of the sail fore and aft I added a running parrel ( a rope
      > that loops from the forward end of the battens around the mast and
      is
      > tightened to pull the sail aft a little, and let off to do the
      > opposite).
      > Perhaps noone is interested in Van Loan stuff in the junkrig group,
      > or maybe noone is interested in single sail junk rigs. Let me know
      > one way or the other so I can skulk off or not. By the way, I am
      not
      > trying to convince anyone of the benefits or othewise of any
      designer
      > or design approach, merely exchange ideas.
      > Regards, Paul Stewart-Day

      Hiya Paul,
      I've ordered the Van Loan book. Meanwhile, trying to follow the
      thread of these discussions is sort of like eavesdropping on a
      conversation in the house next door.
      How does Van Loan differ from Hasler? ALBATROSS is going to be a
      single sail rig, and running parrels are standard? Hasler stuff.

      BFN,
      MD!
      ---
      There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

      Follow my progress as I build a 26' Junk.
      Come to TheMadMac's Nautical Follies.
      See Albatross' Adventure http://www.nauticalfollies.com
      Latest Update http://www.nauticalfollies.com/summer2000.htm
    • Paul Stewart-Day
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 2, 2000
        Dear Alan,
        I'll try to respond to your queries about the differences between Van
        Loan and Hasler designs and running parrels in particular. Please
        note though that I am no expert on Hasler, and the Van Loan book I
        used when I converted my boat is an early 1980's edition.

        -Van Loan's top panels appear to be much less peaked than Hasler's.

        -The aft ends of the battens on my boat, following Van Loan's advice,
        are mostly directly above each other. This, along with the sheet
        being rove through blocks as high up and as far to the stern as
        possible, has prevented a sheetlet from ever being entangled with a
        (lower) batten or otherwise becoming stuck on the wrong side of the
        sail after changing tack. (I bolted a frame across the pushpit (stern
        rail), to which I attached the blocks for the sheet.) While I am not
        sure if users of Hasler sails have had problems with sheetlets
        getting tangled up, I have certainly read of several cases of junk
        rigged boats with the problem.

        -All my battens have sheetlets attached, as per Van Loan's advice.
        The yard and the boom do not have sheetlets, also following his
        advice. Photographs of Hasler sails, that I have seen, show the
        uppermost batten without any sheetlet. It may well be that, because
        the Hasler top panel is much more peaked than the top panel on my
        sail, attaching a sheetlet to it would lead to the tangling problem
        when tacking.

        -I have loaned Van Loan's book to a friend, so someone might have to
        set me straight, but, I don't recall him suggesting the use of
        running parrels. He did, however, recommend that the parrels at each
        batten be temporarily attached until sailing trials confirmed the
        correct average balance point for the subsequent permanent attachment
        of the parrels. His book concentrated on two masted rigs, however,
        and when using two sails you can move the overall centre of effort
        fore and aft by altering the amount of sail on one of them. What I am
        getting at is that, on a single masted junk rig, the only way that I
        know of to move the centre of effort to and fro is with a running
        parrel and relatively long parrels which allow for fore and aft
        movement. (As I am still intermittently experimenting with the the
        setting of the rig to improve the windward ability of the rig, I am
        not sure if the running parrel, is really of any practical use or
        not!)

        Regards, Paul. (PS: I wish I could have been more definite in my
        science, at least for the time being......which reminds me about what
        you wrote about hobbies and mental illness!!!P.)