Re: [junkrig] Re: Mast height for reddish rig

  • Leo Foltz
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 1, 2006
      > So the only other way to get the maximum sail area is to
      > lenghten the battens.

      you can lengthen the yard too. do you have the sailcut software? there
      you can see immediately how changes to the sails geometry change your
      sail area.

      > but I suspect that this low AR will have other
      > consequences, like lots of weatherhelm.

      ...if you do not change the position of the sail.
      as weatherhelm is not a direct result of aspect ratio but of a poor
      balance between CE and CLR I'd say.
      with running luff parrels you can move your sail back and forth on your
      mast for minor adjustments. if that's not sufficient, you'll have to
      move your mast. or maybe you can make changes to the lateral plan of
      your boat.
      do you have a drawing of your boat somewhere we can look at? so one can
      see the position of the CLR etc. ?

      are you in contact with Stefan? his Blue Air is lying in Harderwijk.

      Leo