Florida-Maine nonstop

  • goadarama
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 2, 2006
      By chance has anyone made the south Florida (Ft. Pierce) to Maine
      offshore passage about this time of the year? If so what might one
      encounter and expect? Any experience would be beneficial to us.
      Thanks. BoB G. S/V "Plan A" Panama City, Florida
    • Don Taylor
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 2, 2006
        goadarama wrote:
        > By chance has anyone made the south Florida (Ft. Pierce) to Maine
        > offshore passage about this time of the year? If so what might one
        > encounter and expect? Any experience would be beneficial to us.
        > Thanks. BoB G. S/V "Plan A" Panama City, Florida

        Bob:

        Do yourself a favour and skip Cape Hatteras (the 'Graveyard of the
        Atlantic') by coming inside at the Cape Fear River or Beaufort NC and
        head out again at Norfolk. This is especially true if you are a
        two-handed crew as you can get some rest halfway.

        Anyway, we have done some of this passage in stages (Fernandina Beach to
        Cape Fear River, Wrightsville Beach to Beaufort NC, Norfolk to NYC) at
        this time of year and it was fine. However, you can get socked in by
        storms[*] so you either need to be a good way offshore, or be ready to
        duck inside. Next time we plan to do more outside, but don't see any
        point in challenging Hatteras as you have to go way outside and don't
        really save that much time.

        The nice thing about the US East coast is that there are lots of
        opportunities to do it in stages and you can avoid the hairy stuff
        outside by travelling through the ICW and the various sounds. There
        are lots of nice places to vist on the way.

        Don.

        [*] We had to sit out a storm at anchor for most of a week up the Neuse
        River (Pamlico Sound). We listened on Channel 16 to a search and rescue
        attempt on one of the local fishing boats that resulted in a fatality.
        The weather is definately better than it is in the late fall when we
        headed south, but it cannot be taken for granted.
      • Don Taylor
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 2, 2006
          Don Taylor wrote:

          > head out again at Norfolk. This is especially true if you are a
          > two-handed crew as you can get some rest halfway.

          I should add that there is a _lot_ of traffic from fishing boats to
          barges and their tows to commercial vessels to lots of military vessels.
          We always felt that someone had to be on watch so being able to stop
          and sleep was a good thing...

          Don.
        • Douglas Pollard
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 2, 2006
            I have come North in the Atlantic once from Fort Lauderdale and twice from the Bahamas. Both times we timed our weather so that winds we out of the south East and then got into the Gulf stream and headed north to stay to the east side of the stream. At about 80 miles south of Hateras we went east enough to get into slower current. We did this as the winds were veering westerly and picking up. A cold front was coming. We sailed slow on reefed sails till the winds worked their way around East and then crossed over the stream above The Cape and then headed intoward the Chesapeake Bay. If I were going farther North I'd get back into the stream and head to the western side of it to still get some push. We were in a 50 ft. Boat and It was rough going. In a smaller boat I would go in at cape fear and back out again at the mouth of the Chesapeake. This time of year the average winds are up pretty good. You can really get beat up in cold fronts and lows moving up the coast. It's probably to early to worry about tropical stuff but the way that kind of weather seems to be changing now nothing is impossible. A little later the winds will be down some but you run the risk of getting into something tropical. I have done that on trips to Bermuda a couple of times the first week in June. If you stay about 50 miles off the coast instead you still would get a little boost from the stream. From there it would be about a days run to the coast and safety. I would leave as soon as a cold front has passed thru when the wind is out of the east and you should have a few days before it begins to come west and strengthen. The big thing to watch for are lows forming along the fronts. The front coming off that frontal low can have easily 40 knots of wind in it. It's been a while since I have done any of that kind of sailing but If Herb is still on the air to help you with the weather I would keep in touch with him. If you don't have a single sideband I'd stay with in a reasonable distance of shore to be able to duck in when the weather goes sour. It all depends on your skill and the condition and the sea worthiness of you boat.
            Happy sailing,
            Doug

            > By chance has anyone made the south Florida (Ft. Pierce) to Maine
            > offshore passage about this time of the year? If so what might one
            > encounter and expect? Any experience would be beneficial to us.
            > Thanks. BoB G. S/V "Plan A" Panama City, Florida

            Bob:

            Do yourself a favour and skip Cape Hatteras (the 'Graveyard of the
            Atlantic') by coming inside at the Cape Fear River or Beaufort NC and
            head out again at Norfolk. This is especially true if you are a
            two-handed crew as you can get some rest halfway.

            Anyway, we have done some of this passage in stages (Fernandina Beach to
            Cape Fear River, Wrightsville Beach to Beaufort NC, Norfolk to NYC) at
            this time of year and it was fine. However, you can get socked in by
            storms[*] so you either need to be a good way offshore, or be ready to
            duck inside. Next time we plan to do more outside, but don't see any
            point in challenging Hatteras as you have to go way outside and don't
            really save that much time.

            The nice thing about the US East coast is that there are lots of
            opportunities to do it in stages and you can avoid the hairy stuff
            outside by travelling through the ICW and the various sounds. There
            are lots of nice places to vist on the way.

            Don.

            [*] We had to sit out a storm at anchor for most of a week up the Neuse
            River (Pamlico Sound). We listened on Channel 16 to a search and rescue
            attempt on one of the local fishing boats that resulted in a fatality.
            The weather is definately better than it is in the late fall when we
            headed south, but it cannot be taken for granted.

            Outdoors

          • goadarama
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 3, 2006
              Appreciate the transiting info. Others have warned us off Hatteras as
              well.... to go inside a bit then back out above it. Gives a chance to
              see the nature of the Carolina sounds too. Given our relatively
              fledgling status the "close to shore nad run for cover" strategy seems
              best although it's tempting to take full advantage of the gulf stream
              all the way to Beaufort (NC).

              Here we are in northwest Florida with weather these past days that
              seems more like mid-May then early April. I suspect this seasons
              tropical activity is going to rival last years in overall intensity.
              So says also the cane gurus. Previously we figured a summer in the
              Chesapeake would insure protection from hurricanes but this year
              (according to the Wall Street Journal) the insurance underwriters are
              limiting house coverage all the way to Cape Cod.

              Some folks decry any kind of governmental interventions (especially
              when it comes to private seafaring) but this is one instance when govt
              might just say "Sorry citizenry.... this is the way it has to be: even
              number license plates drive on even number days and... and... we're
              putting in a real, bonafide rail system nationwide that rivals in
              scope the building of the interstate highway system". Some long range
              vision beyond a quarterly profit mentality.

              Who knows how this global warming is going to shake out and manifest?
              Until then FAIR WINDS and great summer sailing. BoB G. S/V "Plan A"