Tabernacle designs.... we sure need em....got any?

  • goadarama
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 2, 2005
      We have our 30 ft. steel pipe mast (4" diameter inside) but no
      tabernacle idea yet. Any leads on where to find some bonafide
      diagrams/plans for a good tabernacle? We'd like to weld up the type
      that is set up a good 2 to 3 feet and pinned there so that it swings
      down and is pinned again at the base.

      In addition: any folks strengthened their pipe at the pin holes by
      maybe welding in a small internal pipe that the pin slides through?
      Seems the 1/8th inch steel pipe wall might be severely stressed if it
      isn't beefed up somehow. Extra plate on each side of the base of the
      pipe?

      Best regards from the now tranquil U.S. gulf-o-Mex coast and S/V
      Wyldluv.
    • Ted Shelton
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 2, 2005
        And tranquil we want it to stay.
        I liked Mr. Dewherst's idea of a U-shaped piece for
        the mast to fold into. I know nothing about masts,
        but do know a fair bit about welding, stress cracks
        & reinforcements. The cross pipe idea is a good
        one. Also perhaps, a collor over that spot on the
        mast for double thickness there. A large diamond
        shaped piece, hammered & welded to fit the contour
        of the pipe would also spread out the stress to
        other areas of the pipe. Thinner material than a
        collor, it might be better (design wise). It should
        be a "lomg" diamond shape, fit verticaly. ome
        around each side of the mast, centered over the
        cross pipe hole. The idea is to spread the stress
        up & down, away from the hole, a bit more than
        front to back (the other, narrower, points of the
        diamond). Grind the welds to a smooth (airplane
        wing), near perfect finish. This trick helps a
        stress crack from getting a foothold. Use pins or
        bolts softer than the mast. Soft (annealed) pins
        will "wear", not snap (or worse, transfer a high
        load to the mast). It's easier to inspect & replace
        them than repair the mast. Just $.02cents worth
        from me.
        Ted
        Atchafalaya Basin
        Bute La Rose, La.
      • goadarama
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 2, 2005
          Super info Ted..... thanks mucho. Good to get the skinny from a
          seasoned welder.--- In junkrig@yahoogroups.com, "Ted Shelton"
          <ted655@f...> wrote:

          > And tranquil we want it to stay.
          > I liked Mr. Dewherst's idea of a U-shaped
          piece for
          > the mast to fold into. I know nothing about
          masts,
          > but do know a fair bit about welding, stress
          cracks
          > & reinforcements. The cross pipe idea is a
          good
          > one. Also perhaps, a collor over that spot on
          the
          > mast for double thickness there. A large
          diamond
          > shaped piece, hammered & welded to fit the
          contour
          > of the pipe would also spread out the stress
          > other areas of the pipe. Thinner material
          than a
          > collor, it might be better (design wise). It
          should
          > be a "lomg" diamond shape, fit verticaly. ome
          > around each side of the mast, centered over
          the
          > cross pipe hole. The idea is to spread the
          stress
          > up & down, away from the hole, a bit more than
          > front to back (the other, narrower, points of
          the
          > diamond). Grind the welds to a smooth
          (airplane
          > wing), near perfect finish. This trick helps a
          > stress crack from getting a foothold. Use
          pins or
          > bolts softer than the mast. Soft (annealed)
          pins
          > will "wear", not snap (or worse, transfer a
          high
          > load to the mast). It's easier to inspect &
          replace
          > them than repair the mast. Just $.02cents
          worth
          > from me.
          > Ted
          > Atchafalaya Basin
          > Bute La Rose, La.
        • Wally Paine
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 3, 2005
            The following is armchair stuff but might be worth
            considering:

            Put a thick walled steel tube inside your mast.
            (Hereafter called an "inner" sleeve.) It might extend
            from the bottom of the mast to the hinge and then
            about the same distance beyond the hinge. It should be
            a reasonable snug fit. i.e. easily inserted maybe with
            a little grease and drilled transversely in the middle
            for the hinge bolt.

            The holes in the mast should be over size so that the
            hinge bolt transfers stress to the the "inner" sleeve
            and not to the mast. The "inner" sleeve is held in
            place by the hinge bolt itself or maybe with a couple
            welds right at the foot of the mast.

            This sort of arrangement avoids setting up thermal
            stresses in the mast which welding reinforcement to it
            might cause. It would be heavier.

            Wally Paine

            ---------------------------------
            <ted655@f...> wrote: