Re: alu mast for junkrigged microcruiser

  • goadarama
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 1, 2005
      In the junkrig2 files section is a formula for converting from a
      wooden mast to a steel mast. Apparently you can substitute steel for
      aluminum with not much gain for weight and less diameter of the mast.--
      - In junkrig@yahoogroups.com, "Luis Nin Estevez" <luisnine@m...> wrote:
      > Hi, I'm building a Swaggie (design of John Welsford) and according
      > plans she has a 8,5 meters wooden mast.
      > Which would be the measures of wall and circumference for an alu
      > instead of wooden mast?
      > Thanks for your help.
      > regards
      > Luis
      > http://www.swaggie-uruguay.com.uy/
    • Luis Nin Estevez
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 1, 2005
        Thanks. I'll see the formula you mention, but excuse me for my
        misunderstanding... what you say is that it would be better a steel
        mast instead of an aluminium one?
        Rds
        Luis

        --- In junkrig@yahoogroups.com, "goadarama" <goadarama@y...> wrote:
        > In the junkrig2 files section is a formula for converting from a
        > wooden mast to a steel mast. Apparently you can substitute steel for
        > aluminum with not much gain for weight and less diameter of the mast.-
        -
        > - In junkrig@yahoogroups.com, "Luis Nin Estevez" <luisnine@m...>
        wrote:
        > > Hi, I'm building a Swaggie (design of John Welsford) and according
        > > plans she has a 8,5 meters wooden mast.
        > > Which would be the measures of wall and circumference for an alu
        > > instead of wooden mast?
        > > Thanks for your help.
        > > regards
        > > Luis
        > > http://www.swaggie-uruguay.com.uy/
      • David
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 1, 2005
          If you built the rest of the boat why would you fool around with
          something that was not designed for a boat like steel or aluminum
          tubing.. Why not build a wood mast? If I had a steel mast I would
          worry about rust?

          David
          Luis Nin Estevez wrote:

          >Thanks. I'll see the formula you mention, but excuse me for my
          >misunderstanding... what you say is that it would be better a steel
          >mast instead of an aluminium one?
          >Rds
          >Luis
          >

          >--- In junkrig@yahoogroups.com, "goadarama" <goadarama@y...> wrote:
          >

          >>In the junkrig2 files section is a formula for converting from a
          >>wooden mast to a steel mast. Apparently you can substitute steel for
          >>aluminum with not much gain for weight and less diameter of the mast.-
          >>

          >-
          >

          >>- In junkrig@yahoogroups.com, "Luis Nin Estevez" <luisnine@m...>
          >>

          >wrote:
          >

          >>>Hi, I'm building a Swaggie (design of John Welsford) and according

          >>>plans she has a 8,5 meters wooden mast.
          >>>Which would be the measures of wall and circumference for an alu
          >>>instead of wooden mast?
          >>>Thanks for your help.
          >>>regards
          >>>Luis
          >>>http://www.swaggie-uruguay.com.uy/

          >Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Harry James
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 1, 2005
            Saw a Colvin Junk for sale in the August Latitude 48, looked like a
            Gazelle in the picture. Following info with the add, around $60,000 I
            believe.

            In Ketchikan AK

            dnstraight@...

            253 946-3106
          • Leo Foltz
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 2, 2005
              Hi Luis,
              as I see on the JWD site, your boat has 22,5/247 sail area.
              the mainsail of my ketch is 23,8/256.
              mast height above deck is 7,62m/25' (~9m/29'6" total)
              Alan Boswell calculated for 6061 aluminum alloy (not the 6060 that German
              flagpole makers use!): 5" x .25" or 135mm x 5mm wall
              this is simply a tube. no fancy taper ;-)
              smooth surface of aluminum makes for easiest lowering of sail.

              comparing 6060 to 6061:

              6061, Al 0.5Mg 0.5Si Fe:
              Heavy duty structures in rail coaches, truck frames, ship building, bridges,
              military bridges, aircraft, piping, pylons and towers, transportation,
              boilermaking; Motorboats, aerospace applications, helicopter rotor skins;
              Rivets.
              Very good corrosion resistance. Very good weldability; reduced strength values
              in the zone of welding. Heat treatable alloy. Medium high strength alloy with
              a strength higher than 6005A. Medium fatigue strength. Good cold formability
              in the temper T4. Not suitable for very complex cross sections.

              6060, Al 1.0Mg 0.6Si Cu Cr:
              Architectural sections for windows, doors, curtain walls. Interior fitting,
              frame system, lighting, ladders, railings, fences. Heat sink sections,
              electronic modules, electro motor housings. Flexible assembly systems,
              special machinery elements. Truck and trailer flooring, pneumatic
              installation, railway, inside applications. Irrigation, heating and cooling
              pipes. Furniture, office equipment.
              Very good corrosion resistance. Very good weldability. Good cold formability
              especially in temper T4. Medium strength heat treatable alloy with a strength
              slightly lower than 6005A. Medium fatigue strength. Commonly used alloy for
              very complex cross sections. Standard decorative anodizing quality.

              maybe you'll like to look deeper into fatigue strength?
              source for the above info is:
              http://aluminium.matter.org.uk/aluselect/01_applications.asp

              Good luck!
              Leo