Re: [junkrig] (unknown)

  • R Coy
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 1, 2005
      Eric,
      Now that is really cool so don't sweat it. We all go
      boat less from time to time.
      I went out of state to work and had a friend ,no
      longer, of 25 years take care of my boats and car.
      He sold them while I was away and since I gave him
      permission to take care of them, there was nothing I
      could do. Thus, I don't own a junk rig sailboat, but
      I do own a junky car, and like you I am learning a lot
      about junkrigs.
      My next boat will be a junkrig, yet I would like to
      learn to sail one before I own.
      Anybody patient live near northeast Ohio - southern
      Michigan who would help on this current project?
      db

      --- Eric Gilbert <ericocean@...> wrote:

      > Dear all,
      >
      > I don't have a boat, hence I don't own a sail. But
      > very interested in junk
      > rigs. Thank you for letting me follow your
      > discussions.
      >
      > Warm greetings,
      >
      > Eric Gilbert

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Martin Roberts
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 1, 2005
        I have owned a Bolger Micro for 3 years and taught myself to sail the
        sprit boomed rig. As it is a cat-yawl I have found that people who are
        used to a 'normal' rig find the behaviour of the yawl rig very
        different.
        When I converted to a junk rig (home made sail new mast in new
        position) I found the sailing experience was very similar to what I
        experienced from the previous rig. The major benefit is that I can
        reef the sail very easily by letting the halyard and I can ain more
        sail by loosening a couple of ropes and hauling on the halyard.

        So what I am saying is that the sailing of a Junk rig is very simple,
        what you need to try out is the rig configuration of the boat you
        intend to use. I for one am very sold on the cat-yawl of the Bolger
        micro as the balance is very fine and I can sail hands off on many
        point of sail and relax. This works well for motoring as well as
        sailing as the mizzen acts as a great rudder!

        Martin