COLVIN GAZELLE OWNERS

  • lynnnexus@aol.com
    Message 1 of 12 , May 30 1:42 AM
      I RECENTLY PURCHASED A TOM COLVIN DESIGNED GAZELLE, AND WOULD BE
      INTERESTED IN TALKING TO OTHER OWNERS CONCERNING JUNK SAIL ISSUES.
    • Paul Sommers
      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 1, 2001

        I have owned a Gazelle for 2 years - fire away with questions.  We live near Seattle and have sailed her around Vancouver Island, as well as up in the San Juan and Gulf Islands.

        >From: lynnnexus@...

        >To: junkrig@yahoogroups.com
        >Subject: [junkrig] COLVIN GAZELLE OWNERS
        >Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 08:42:52 -0000
        >
        >I RECENTLY PURCHASED A TOM COLVIN DESIGNED GAZELLE, AND WOULD BE
        >INTERESTED IN TALKING TO OTHER OWNERS CONCERNING JUNK SAIL ISSUES.

      • Harry James
        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 1, 2001
          I hope that you keep the questions and answers on the group rather than
          offline as members are interested (or at least I am)\
          HJ

        • lynnnexus@aol.com
          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 2, 2001
            Thanks for the reply on your Gazelle.  Iam curious about your battens.  My
            battens
            are bamboo, and need replacement.  I spoke to Tom  Colvin , and he suggested
            buying FRP tubing.  It is a very expensive way to go. What do you have?
            Other than
            that, I am quite satisfied with the Gazelle.  My boat is constructed of
            aluminum, and
            the interior is finished off with various woods.  So far I have mastered the
            art of sailing
            the junk rig(the early days were a Chinese fire drill and that is a pun). Our
            sailing
            waters are Florida and the Bahamas. Also, what engine do you have? I have a
            20hp
            Yanmar, which seems a bit underpowered, but is in the Colvin philosophy of
            simplicity
            and economy.  What are your pros and cons concerning Gazelle?  What is the
            best
            sail combo when driving hard to windward? It seems to me that the foresail
            hinders
            close wind performance, and I just  use the jib and main with great success.
            I have to close now, but look forward to future correspondence.
            Best Regards
            Al Hackett

          • Steve Rankin
            Message 5 of 12 , Jun 2, 2001
              What is FRP tubing? Incidently, when I go to open your post my dial up connector automatically tries to dial out. Very annoying. Do you have some kind of setting that looks for verification that your message has been recieved? I have not tried the windward combination you have suggested. Interesting. My Gazelle uses pole vaulting poles for battens. I would prefer bamboo. I have planted some with that ewnd in mind.

              Steve Rankin
              Bu'Kwiis

              Message 6 of 12 , Jun 2, 2001
                Hi Steve.
                What experiance do you have with the pole vaulting poles?
                Victor
[...]

                Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              • Steve Rankin
                Message 7 of 12 , Jun 2, 2001
                  Victor
                  They work well with the 250 sq ft fore, but are too flexible for the main
                  IMO. when trying to stand up to a good breeze.

                • Don Taylor & Sue Welsh
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jun 2, 2001
                    We have aluminium pipe battens. I think that they are (North American)
                    schedule 40 pipe about 1.25 and 1.75" od. I am not absolutely sure of the
                    measurements - I will try to remember to check next time I am down on the
                    boat.

                    I am very satisfied with them and have no thoughts about changing them. If
                    I ever want to try articulated battens than I understand that they pretty
                    well have to be made from aluminium pipe so I guess that I would be ready.

                    Don.

                    ----------------------------
                    Don Taylor & Sue Welsh
                    Schooner Pilger, lying Iroquois, Ontario
                  • Don Taylor & Sue Welsh
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jun 2, 2001

                      Al said:

                       It seems to me that the foresail
                      hinders
                      close wind performance, and I just  use the jib and main with great success.
                      Hmmmm... I find this surprising.  I have never tried it so I really should not say anything, but I doubt that Pilger would be at all happy under that combination - I think that it would generate lots of weather helm.

                      Unless you have an unusually large jib? Unusually large for a Gazelle, that is.

                      Al, did you talk to Tom about this?

                      Don.

                      ----------------------------

                      Message 10 of 12 , Jun 3, 2001
                        Hi Steve
                        If the poles are hollow, it might be possible to stiffen them by putting a grp-pullthroughsion innside them.
                        A pullthroughsion is a pipe or profile made of a bundle of glasfibre, pulled through a nossle, where plastic-matrix is added. They contains up to 60% glas, so they are both stiff and strong, but the drawback is that all reinforsement goes in the longitudinal direction. therfore you have to add reinforsement in the ends if you want to make holes , og fasten things there.
                        I know it is possible to get antenna-masts in various dimensions. Made of reinforsed plastics. They may be good for battens?.

                      • Steve Rankin
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jun 3, 2001
                          Hey Victor,
                          Sounds like a lot of work, especially since the longer battens are spliced
                          together using a wooden dowel inside, and wraps of glass and epoxy on the
                          exterior of the splice. Also the ends are plugged to be able to make holes
                          for fasteners. An easier fix would be to use keeper battens on the opposing
                          sail side. I think that bamboo would be ideal. I just will have to be
                          patient whilst they grow.

                          Cheers

                          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                          > > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                        • Victor Winterthun
                          Message 12 of 12 , Jun 3, 2001
                            Hi Steve.
                            I had also planned to use bamboo first, on my boat, but I think it will rot very fast in the klimat here in Norway. So I have used Al. pipe.