Rolling without waves

  • Slieve
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 1, 2003
      Hi Don, Yes, I also suspect the hinged battens will behave more like a soft rig and will not produce the sudden change of direction of the lift forces.

      Hi Nils, My suggestion to place the battens in the 'half tack' position when motoring to windward was purely theoretical. I realise it would not be ideal with your present 'tacking' system.

      Your method of 'flipping' the battens works, and you've done great work in demonstrating the usefulness of pre-bent battens which is a great step forward. As development continues I suspect that in the future a simpler system of tacking the battens will appear which may allow the half tack position to be used if it is found to be necessary. (I keep thinking of the half wishbone batten fitted in the wide batten pocket in the selftacking jib of some Hoyt designs).

      Cheers, Slieve.