Re: Junk Rig for Micro

  • Leo W. Foltz
    Message 1 of 17 , Dec 9, 2000
      Frank,

      >Is anyone familiar with Philip C. Bolger's Micro design? I am interested in
      >building this boat and would really like to have a junk rig on it.

      1. Are you still on the Bolger list? Jason asked the same question there
      last month.

      2. Do you still plan to build an AS29/39? If this is so:

      3. What is this Micro project for? Getting practise in hull building?
      Learning about Chinese lug sails?

      If this is so, read Practical Junk Rig, figure out the CLR of the hull and
      the CE of the two sails. Add 10% to the total sail area, download sailcut
      8, play with the program and if you think you have designed a nice sail, go
      back to Hasler/McLeod and find the CE using the method described and than
      draw the mast line. I bet you'll have to change the position of the main
      mast. As your Micro is for testing purposes only this should be no problem.
      Now read Vincent Reddish on sailmaking (I can send you a scan of his
      original article offlist) and buy polytarp and bamboo.

      But if you want to stick with your Micro for some years as a nice trailer
      sailor, you probably won't love the mast standing in the cabin and
      converting process will become much more interesting ...<G>
      O.K. there is the Micro Trawler concept.
      Bolger designed this rig for ALERT. Bill wanted a less demanding rig for
      his Atlantic crossing to Europe than the originally cat yawl was. What
      looks like a clever idea to overcome sheating problems is actually a new
      use for the leftover mizzen mast.
      Fellow sailor Hannes from Austria met Bill this summer. Mizzen mast is now
      in use as flag pole. Sheating is to the boom only. Bill talked about heavy
      weight of the rig boosts rolling, pressure of battens against the mast,
      reefing just works in a way.

      Have a nice day,
      Leo
    • paull01@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 17 , Feb 22, 2001
        --- In junkrig@y..., "Frank Bales" <fbales@a...> wrote:
        > Is anyone familiar with Philip C. Bolger's Micro design? I am
        interested in
        > building this boat and would really like to have a junk rig on it.
        Any
        > comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
        >
        > Frank Bales
        > Staunton, VA

        Hi Frank, (Craig, Leo etc.)

        It's starting to get warm already here in the NW. The idea of a
        building a Bolger Micro is starting to temp me(again). Changing the
        Micro rig would be somewhat of an iconoclastic move because the rig
        is such a well balanced and venerated setup as designed. But the
        ability to use polytarp and 'Home Depot' the sailing rig is mighty
        tempting. I just purchased the book 'The Canoe Rig' by Todd E.
        Bradshaw. It's a delightful though somewhat expensive book @$35. But
        it's full of good rigging how-tos and the color art work is delicious
        to behold. Todd has some ideas for rigging a canoe that might be
        adaptable to the Micro. See the folder for Canoe Rigs that I uploaded
        earlier today. Another idea for a (junk rig) for the micro is Chuck
        Merrell's redesign for the Long Micro...see

        http://www.boatdesign.com/tomboy/pages/junkboy.htm

        Cheers,
        Paul Liebenow
        Woodinville, WA