West Coast , USA ... looking for a suitable mast

  • jonny_kaplan2002
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 14, 2013
      Hi everyone,

      I have been prepping my Westsail for the conversion , have gotten rid of the old rig ...and am searching for a suitable mast.
      I have had specs drawn up by a N.A. for either solid timber or tapered Aluminum.
      I've already priced a new "flagpole" ....and am just throwing it out there to see if someone may have or know of something used.

      47-50 ft.

      12 inches at base tapering to 4 inches at top.

      1/4 inch wall thickness.

      have cash ...and ready to buy!

      thanks

      Jonny
    • bad.wabbit@sbcglobal.net
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 21, 2013
        Hey Johnny - Over in the JRA site, a person just recently got a Al extrusion that is close...

        " During the interim, I bought a custom extrusion from a flagpole manufacturer. It is 41 feet long, 1/4 inch wall, 6063-T6 aluminum. The lower 8'6" is 10" OD untapered, and from there it tapers to 6" OD. This will be my mast."

        I think you can access the General Forum at http://www.junkrigassociation.org/general_forum?mode=MessageList&eid=726309&tpg=4&mlpg=6,3

        but you may have to join to talk to the person (if you have not joined yet).

        I think I've chatted with you before - we have a Freedom 40 center cockpit ketch and are considering a conversion, too. Would use the existing masts though, in the existing positions. Note that our masts are also Al, but 10" diameter at the base, two sections, with the bottom not tapered for the first 20 ft or so. The top section is pushed into the bottom and fixed with screws (filler I suppose, too) and tapers down to 4 inches. Wall thickness on both is nominally 1/4".

        The specifications from your NA would be quite a bit stiffer and stronger, and it may be that if the bottom is not tapered, you can reduce the diameter. Note that the deck hole for my section is only 1" diameter bigger - so 1/2 clearance - and is a smooth, slighly tappered hole. I have used a product similar to Spartite to pour my partners and am very happy with the results (no leaks, no mast boot).

        Erik