Re: [junkrig] Re: Batten questions for Arne

  • Barry Stellrecht
    Message 1 of 22 , Mar 27, 2013
      PVC would give you a round shape, but it won't contribute anything to a
      carbon fiber or fiberglass batten except for extra weight.

      You would do just as well with foam pipe insulation if you can keep it
      straight while you are working on it, and the rope pulled tight with it
      hung vertically would hold this about as well as it would hold PVC--I've
      heard of people doing that before.

      If you do use PVC, pick the thinnest grade you can find, like the stuff
      used for non-pressurized drain lines--it really is wasted weight, just
      something to hold your composite batten into shape until it cures.

      I know someone who made a dingy with PVC, epoxy, and fiberglass. Epoxy
      holds to PVC great. It held together great, but was stupidly heavy when
      he was done.

      Barry

      --
      s/v Flutterby