Re: ipad-navigation

  • Gerald
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 15, 2013
      Not an answer to your question I'm afraid. But on the subject of hand-held satellite navigation - the other day I bought an Android app called GPS Nautical Charts - UK. Just under £16 for the whole UK (Admiralty) chart folio, astonishing value. The US version is cheaper. And there are iPad versions. Also versions for many places around the world.

      The app is pretty well sorted though not, I think, perfect. But then there's no such thing as perfect.

      I haven't had it at sea yet to try it out with the GPS on my Nexus 7 but I'm looking forward to it.

      It's a back-up to the chart plotter fitted into the bulkhead of Ivory Gull's pilothouse so at sea the Nexus will live in my pocket, on the chart table, beside me during my afternoon snooze when my old-codgering chum has the helm... wherever is most convenient.

      Gosh but how times change... I would have loved to have this thing on the bridge beside me while piloting a submarine into some tiny harbour for the first time...

      And no, I don't have shares in the company.

      With best wishes,

      Gerry.

      --- In junkrig@yahoogroups.com, "Don Anderson" <damedia@...> wrote:

      > Be careful with iPad navigation. I think I saw somewhere that the iPad 2
      > Wifi only model does not have a GPS and this may be the case with other
      > later Wifi only iPads. My understanding is that the GPS capability is part
      > of the 3G chipset, and is only present in the 3G iPads, that is ones that
      > connect with the cellular phone service and have a SIM card inserted. It
      > might mean that when offshore out of reach of a phone service, you may not
      > have navigation. Perhaps others can confirm this or clarify this.
      >

      > Don Anderson

    • physhbourne
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 15, 2013
        thank you for your hint.
        good and important point!
        now, i'm glad my ipad does have gps… :-))

        --- In junkrig@yahoogroups.com, "Don Anderson" <damedia@...> wrote:

        > Be careful with iPad navigation. I think I saw somewhere that the iPad 2
        > Wifi only model does not have a GPS and this may be the case with other
        > later Wifi only iPads. My understanding is that the GPS capability is part
        > of the 3G chipset, and is only present in the 3G iPads, that is ones that
        > connect with the cellular phone service and have a SIM card inserted. It
        > might mean that when offshore out of reach of a phone service, you may not
        > have navigation. Perhaps others can confirm this or clarify this.
        >

        > Don Anderson

      • physhbourne
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 15, 2013
          thank you.
          looks very interesting!
          even though the maps for germany are slightly more expensive…
          not sure if the transas-data or the bsh-data is better – i live (and sail) at the baltic sea.

          --- In junkrig@yahoogroups.com, "Gerald" <china.lug@...> wrote:

          > Not an answer to your question I'm afraid. But on the subject of hand-held satellite navigation - the other day I bought an Android app called GPS Nautical Charts - UK. Just under £16 for the whole UK (Admiralty) chart folio, astonishing value. The US version is cheaper. And there are iPad versions. Also versions for many places around the world.
          >
          > The app is pretty well sorted though not, I think, perfect. But then there's no such thing as perfect.
          >
          > I haven't had it at sea yet to try it out with the GPS on my Nexus 7 but I'm looking forward to it.
          >
          > It's a back-up to the chart plotter fitted into the bulkhead of Ivory Gull's pilothouse so at sea the Nexus will live in my pocket, on the chart table, beside me during my afternoon snooze when my old-codgering chum has the helm... wherever is most convenient.
          >
          > Gosh but how times change... I would have loved to have this thing on the bridge beside me while piloting a submarine into some tiny harbour for the first time...
          >
          > And no, I don't have shares in the company.
          >
          > With best wishes,
          >
          > Gerry.
          >
          > --- In junkrig@yahoogroups.com, "Don Anderson" <damedia@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Be careful with iPad navigation. I think I saw somewhere that the iPad 2
          > > Wifi only model does not have a GPS and this may be the case with other
          > > later Wifi only iPads. My understanding is that the GPS capability is part
          > > of the 3G chipset, and is only present in the 3G iPads, that is ones that
          > > connect with the cellular phone service and have a SIM card inserted. It
          > > might mean that when offshore out of reach of a phone service, you may not
          > > have navigation. Perhaps others can confirm this or clarify this.
          > >

          > > Don Anderson

        • johngtahitiana
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 15, 2013
            Not an entire answer either but with my iPhone I don't need service or wifi for the GPS to work. I bought and app called Kauai Revealed for a trip to Hawaii and it worked beautifully on the dirt roads way up on the volcano. The author had GPSed the roads and we could follow the blue dot to know exactly where to turn etc. With the right app and charts and a waterproof case you could use the phone to navigate. The downside is the drain on the small battery.
            John

            Sent from my iPhone

            On Mar 15, 2013, at 1:18 AM, "Don Anderson" <damedia@...> wrote:

            > Be careful with iPad navigation. I think I saw somewhere that the iPad 2
            > Wifi only model does not have a GPS and this may be the case with other
            > later Wifi only iPads. My understanding is that the GPS capability is part
            > of the 3G chipset, and is only present in the 3G iPads, that is ones that
            > connect with the cellular phone service and have a SIM card inserted. It
            > might mean that when offshore out of reach of a phone service, you may not
            > have navigation. Perhaps others can confirm this or clarify this.
            >
            > Don Anderson

          • tom sorensen
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 15, 2013
              I use an iPad app called "INAVX". apparently charts are available for all over the world.

              Works wonderfully. App cost @ $45.00 us.

              Tom
              On Mar 15, 2013, at 3:24 AM, "physhbourne" <Phish@...> wrote:

              > thank you.
              > looks very interesting!
              > even though the maps for germany are slightly more expensive�
              > not sure if the transas-data or the bsh-data is better � i live (and sail) at the baltic sea.
              >
              > --- In junkrig@yahoogroups.com, "Gerald" <china.lug@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > Not an answer to your question I'm afraid. But on the subject of hand-held satellite navigation - the other day I bought an Android app called GPS Nautical Charts - UK. Just under �16 for the whole UK (Admiralty) chart folio, astonishing value. The US version is cheaper. And there are iPad versions. Also versions for many places around the world.
              > >
              > > The app is pretty well sorted though not, I think, perfect. But then there's no such thing as perfect.
              > >
              > > I haven't had it at sea yet to try it out with the GPS on my Nexus 7 but I'm looking forward to it.
              > >
              > > It's a back-up to the chart plotter fitted into the bulkhead of Ivory Gull's pilothouse so at sea the Nexus will live in my pocket, on the chart table, beside me during my afternoon snooze when my old-codgering chum has the helm... wherever is most convenient.
              > >
              > > Gosh but how times change... I would have loved to have this thing on the bridge beside me while piloting a submarine into some tiny harbour for the first time...
              > >
              > > And no, I don't have shares in the company.
              > >
              > > With best wishes,
              > >
              > > Gerry.
              > >
              > > --- In junkrig@yahoogroups.com, "Don Anderson" <damedia@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > Be careful with iPad navigation. I think I saw somewhere that the iPad 2
              > > > Wifi only model does not have a GPS and this may be the case with other
              > > > later Wifi only iPads. My understanding is that the GPS capability is part
              > > > of the 3G chipset, and is only present in the 3G iPads, that is ones that
              > > > connect with the cellular phone service and have a SIM card inserted. It
              > > > might mean that when offshore out of reach of a phone service, you may not
              > > > have navigation. Perhaps others can confirm this or clarify this.
              > > >

              > > > Don Anderson

            • Donal
              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 15, 2013
                Go to

                http://www.macsailing.net/fbb/

                for forum and information. You'll find software reps/programmers there, too, to answer questions.
              • physhbourne
                Message 7 of 10 , Mar 15, 2013
                  very interesting!
                  thank you very much, indeed!! :-))

                  Message 8 of 10 , Mar 16, 2013
                    thank you.
                    maybe an iphone is too small for navigating on sea?