Re: [junkrig] Re: Broremannsail plan / broadseeming

  • Benoit Castel
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 9, 2012
      Hi Arne,

      Thank you for your fast answer and for the file (I forgot it exists).

      What I call 'broadseeming' is probably what you could call 'barrel shape panel'. That's the way we achieve shape in conventional sailmaking.

      Regards

      Benoit

      ________________________________
      De : "Arne Kverneland, Norway" <a-kve2@...>
      À : junkrig@yahoogroups.com
      Envoyé le : Jeudi 8 novembre 2012 20h06
      Objet : [junkrig] Re: Broremannsail plan / broadseeming

      Stavanger, Thursday

      Hi Benoit
      That was funny ! I don't use broadseaming at all in my designs and certainly not in Broremann's sail. There must be some misunderstanding somewhere. Here is a link to a write-up, showing how the sail was made and with the sail plan in the end of it.

      https://dl.dropbox.com/u/49284570/Arne%20Kverneland%27s%20Junk%20Rig%20Files/20090712%20Making%20a%20junk%20sail%20for%20Broremann%2C%20ver.%2020100904.pdf

      Regards Arne
      PS:
      You can see Broremann sailing if you go to Youtube and just search for Broremann

      --- In junkrig@yahoogroups.com, "Benoit" <benoit_castel@...> wrote:

      > Hi,
      >
      > I am planning to build a new sail (old one is a swing wing sail) and I add a look on Broremann sail plan(more or less same size).
      >
      > I am very surprised by values of broadseeming indicated : Is it really 6,3 cm of broadseeming (divide by two I presume, half on the upperside and half on the lower side) for a 60cm high panel ?
      >
      > Using trigonometric functions I found very less.
      >
      > Any one to explain these values ?
      >
      > Thank you for your help
      >
      > Benoit

    • Benoit Castel
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 14, 2012
        Hi Arne,

        I read the Broremann document.

        Now my question is : how did you calculate the round of  sail panels (about 65 mm each side for a 600 mm wide panel (:lower panels) ?

        Thanks for your help

        Benoit

        ________________________________

        De : "Arne Kverneland, Norway" <a-kve2@...>
        À : junkrig@yahoogroups.com
        Envoyé le : Jeudi 8 novembre 2012 20h06

        Stavanger, Thursday

        Hi Benoit
        That was funny ! I don't use broadseaming at all in my designs and certainly not in Broremann's sail. There must be some misunderstanding somewhere. Here is a link to a write-up, showing how the sail was made and with the sail plan in the end of it.

        https://dl.dropbox.com/u/49284570/Arne%20Kverneland%27s%20Junk%20Rig%20Files/20090712%20Making%20a%20junk%20sail%20for%20Broremann%2C%20ver.%2020100904.pdf

        Regards Arne
        PS:
        You can see Broremann sailing if you go to Youtube and just search for Broremann

        --- In junkrig@yahoogroups.com, "Benoit" <benoit_castel@...> wrote:

        > Hi,
        >
        > I am planning to build a new sail (old one is a swing wing sail) and I add a look on Broremann sail plan(more or less same size).
        >
        > I am very surprised by values of broadseeming indicated : Is it really 6,3 cm of broadseeming (divide by two I presume, half on the upperside and half on the lower side) for a 60cm high panel ?
        >
        > Using trigonometric functions I found very less.
        >
        > Any one to explain these values ?
        >
        > Thank you for your help
        >
        > Benoit

      • Arne Kverneland, Norway
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 14, 2012
          Benoit,
          If you have a look in my technical files section here,

          you will find "Arne's chain calculator" which shows how to calculate the needed round to get the desired camber.

          By the way, the round is 100mm in Broremann's four lowest panels. It is 65mm only in panel 3 from top.

          Arne