Re: [junkrig] Junkrig for Didi 34

  • Paul Fithian
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 8, 2012
      Dear Arne,

      Many thanks for your reply and suggestions. I must say I find your
      writings from the JRA site most professional and informative.

      I made up a small sketch of a Didi 34 with a single sail JR, see attached.

      Can you suggest a mast height, diameter, and main panel sail width? I have
      ordered the Hasler book and and will be exploring it further.

      You may also enjoy the attached picture of the Tolman Jumbo Skiff I built,
      using marine plywood, epoxy, and fiberglass. My wife and I have used the
      boat for two seasons and have enjoyed many days with it, including some
      extended trips to the Florida Keys and the islands of northern Lake
      Michigan.

      On Thu, Nov 8, 2012 at 1:28 PM, Arne Kverneland, Norway <a-kve2@...>wrote:

      > **
      >

      > Stavanger, Thursday
      >
      > The Johanna sail has a quite low Aspect Ratio, AR, actually lower than i
      > would go for normally. I was forced to make it like that because of the
      > long trunk cabin of my 3-ton Johanna.
      > Your Didi 34 is over a ton heavier, so maybe I should just suggest that
      > you add a panel which gives you about 55sqm without making other changes
      > (expanding/crimping) to the sail.
      > We did that this summer to an X-99 which works extremely well. Have a look
      > here:
      >

      > https://dl.dropbox.com/u/49284570/Arne%20Kverneland%27s%20Junk%20Rig%20Files/Photos/P1010962%2020120725%20Marie%20G.JPG
      >
      > Good luck!
      > Arne

      Best regards,

      Paul Fithian
      pcfithian@...
      (219)-448-9114

    • Arne Kverneland, Norway
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 10, 2012
        Stavanger, Saturday

        Paul
        The size of mast depends mainly on what material you make it from. A light, strong material (carbon for instance) may encourage one to rig with a tall rig with a quite slim mast. If wood is chosen for mast, I tend to spread the area over a shorter mast (as on my Johanna). Generally you need a couple of feet clearance between the mast top and the ling-point on the yard on a boat of your size.

        I suggest you read yourself up a bit in PJR and then come back with more questions.
        Good luck, I bet a JR will work well on your boat.

        Arne