Converting a Siren 17

  • Walrus
    Message 1 of 7 , May 4, 2012
      Hello to all.
      After seeing a sail Dr. Article in small craft adviser that suggested a Junk rig for a reader's Siren 17. I am thinking about converting my Siren to a junk rig. First can someone suggest some good books on the subject of converting to this rig? The next question is will I have to relocate the mast forward, backward or, can I leave it in the same location and how do I come up with the answer? I know that I will have to cut into the cabin top and make some modifications to the boat so this is the start of my fact finding process. I have rebuilt this boat from water up so I am not afraid to make modifications, I just want to know what I need to do.

      Thank you.
      Dale
    • gary
      Message 2 of 7 , May 4, 2012
        Have a look at Arne Kverneland's Junk rig for Beginners under his name
        in the Files section to start with.
        Regards, Gary

        On Fri, 2012-05-04 at 16:44 +0000, Walrus wrote:

        > Hello to all.
        > After seeing a sail Dr. Article in small craft adviser that suggested
        > a Junk rig for a reader's Siren 17. I am thinking about converting my
        > Siren to a junk rig. First can someone suggest some good books on the
        > subject of converting to this rig? The next question is will I have to
        > relocate the mast forward, backward or, can I leave it in the same
        > location and how do I come up with the answer? I know that I will have
        > to cut into the cabin top and make some modifications to the boat so
        > this is the start of my fact finding process. I have rebuilt this boat
        > from water up so I am not afraid to make modifications, I just want to
        > know what I need to do.
        >
        > Thank you.
        > Dale

      • cpcanoesailor
        Message 3 of 7 , May 5, 2012
          Hi Dale,
          Your question reminded me of a Siren mast mod I'd seen a while ago:
          http://pw1.netcom.com/~longyard/Mastraise.html
          I thought the tabernacle idea might be useful for a junk rig. However, he still uses stays. I think you'd need serious bracing from the cabin roof to the hull/berths to support a free standing mast.
          Hope it helps.
          Curtis

          --- In junkrig@yahoogroups.com, "Walrus" <bowersdale@...> wrote:

          > Hello to all.
          > After seeing a sail Dr. Article in small craft adviser that suggested a Junk rig for a reader's Siren 17. I am thinking about converting my Siren to a junk rig. First can someone suggest some good books on the subject of converting to this rig? The next question is will I have to relocate the mast forward, backward or, can I leave it in the same location and how do I come up with the answer? I know that I will have to cut into the cabin top and make some modifications to the boat so this is the start of my fact finding process. I have rebuilt this boat from water up so I am not afraid to make modifications, I just want to know what I need to do.
          >
          > Thank you.
          > Dale

        • William Longyard
          Message 4 of 7 , May 5, 2012
            That was my boat, which lead me eventually to design this: http://www.duckworksbbs.com/plans/longyard/luckytown/index.htm These plans could easily be adapted to convert the Siren 17 to a junk rig.

            Bill Longyard

            Your question reminded me of a Siren mast mod I'd seen a while ago:
            http://pw1.netcom.com/~longyard/Mastraise.html
            I thought the tabernacle idea might be useful for a junk rig. However, he still uses stays. I think you'd need serious bracing from the cabin roof to the hull/berths to support a free standing mast.
            Hope it helps.
            Curtis

            --- In junkrig@yahoogroups.com, "Walrus" <bowersdale@...> wrote:

            > Hello to all.
            > After seeing a sail Dr. Article in small craft adviser that suggested a Junk rig for a reader's Siren 17. I am thinking about converting my Siren to a junk rig. First can someone suggest some good books on the subject of converting to this rig? The next question is will I have to relocate the mast forward, backward or, can I leave it in the same location and how do I come up with the answer? I know that I will have to cut into the cabin top and make some modifications to the boat so this is the start of my fact finding process. I have rebuilt this boat from water up so I am not afraid to make modifications, I just want to know what I need to do.
            >
            > Thank you.
            > Dale

          • Walrus
            Message 5 of 7 , May 5, 2012
              Thank you all for all the great information. I am looking forward to converting my sailboat over to a junk rig. From what I have heard it is a handy rig. One thing I was wondering was will putting a junk rig on the boat make me change the location of the mask due to a change of forces from the new rig. I know that I will have to cut into the cabin roof ( not a problem ) to step the mast. she is not a new boat. In fact I rebuilt her from the water up and she is not a show boat. Solid as a rock but not a show boat. well for the next few months I will be looking for all the info I can get and will be asking lots of questions.

              Good sailing.

              Dale

              --- In junkrig@yahoogroups.com, "Walrus" <bowersdale@...> wrote:

              > Hello to all.
              > After seeing a sail Dr. Article in small craft adviser that suggested a Junk rig for a reader's Siren 17. I am thinking about converting my Siren to a junk rig. First can someone suggest some good books on the subject of converting to this rig? The next question is will I have to relocate the mast forward, backward or, can I leave it in the same location and how do I come up with the answer? I know that I will have to cut into the cabin top and make some modifications to the boat so this is the start of my fact finding process. I have rebuilt this boat from water up so I am not afraid to make modifications, I just want to know what I need to do.
              >
              > Thank you.
              > Dale

            • William Longyard
              Message 6 of 7 , May 5, 2012
                You will have to relocate the mast. I think probably right at the front of the cabin roof where it begins to bend downwards. Your tabernacle (or whatever you wind up with) should be tied into the keel box. That will give you plenty of strength. MAKE SURE you spread the roof load. Look at my pictures on the mast folding page.

                Bill Longyard

                Thank you all for all the great information. I am looking forward to converting my sailboat over to a junk rig. From what I have heard it is a handy rig. One thing I was wondering was will putting a junk rig on the boat make me change the location of the mask due to a change of forces from the new rig. I know that I will have to cut into the cabin roof ( not a problem ) to step the mast. she is not a new boat. In fact I rebuilt her from the water up and she is not a show boat. Solid as a rock but not a show boat. well for the next few months I will be looking for all the info I can get and will be asking lots of questions.

                Good sailing.

                Dale

                --- In junkrig@yahoogroups.com, "Walrus" <bowersdale@...> wrote:

                > Hello to all.
                > After seeing a sail Dr. Article in small craft adviser that suggested a Junk rig for a reader's Siren 17. I am thinking about converting my Siren to a junk rig. First can someone suggest some good books on the subject of converting to this rig? The next question is will I have to relocate the mast forward, backward or, can I leave it in the same location and how do I come up with the answer? I know that I will have to cut into the cabin top and make some modifications to the boat so this is the start of my fact finding process. I have rebuilt this boat from water up so I am not afraid to make modifications, I just want to know what I need to do.
                >
                > Thank you.
                > Dale

              • Walrus
                Message 7 of 7 , May 6, 2012
                  Thanks for the info. Bill.

                  I have been reading some of the recommended files on the site and am looking forward to this project.

                  Dale