Re: update on new sail project
- --- In email@example.com, Paul Thompson <pault@...> wrote:
> Annie and I assembled Aphrodite's sails on the boat. It was hard work but
> there was no other viable way to do the job. Aphrodite sail are 630 SqFt.
> and are arround 220Kgs fully assembled. There are two of them both the same
220Kgs sounds very heavy for a 630sq.ft. sail!?.
- Update on the update: All omitted details taken care of, I laid on finish coats #1 & #2 yesterday. After I shaved all the "bamboo" nubs, (just kidding,) I mixed up a nice looking aluminum color, not kidding. Down I descend now into the bowels of Chateau Bidet to paint coat #last. Later today it's gluing the rudder sheets together.
--- In firstname.lastname@example.org, "gulfnhotsand" <gulfnhotsand@...> wrote:
> Yep. Too late for that good advice. That was the batten gremlins at work, no doubt. How big were your holes? I recently made a brush with pipe cleaners I had lying around. Glued them around a piece of welding wire.
> The holes I have are 3/4" and I used my latex-covered finger to smooth out the epoxy inside them. Gonna finger-paint the paint too, if that time ever comes. lol
> --- In email@example.com, "D. A. Clarke" <de@> wrote:
> > > I had my head examined once. Now I'm beginning to understand why they didn't find anything.
> > >
> > if it's any consolation I think that's the right order of events anyway: paint first then drill. maybe it's a bit late to be saying this :-)
> > I did it the other way last time and guess what, the holes (even chamfered) were the very devil to paint, tended to clog up and get lumpy, I wrecked my brush trying to force paint into the holes, and then the cordage pushed and tied through the holes tended to scrub the paint off anyway.
> > so this time I plan to complete coatings, then drill holes, then poison (zinc naphthenate) and primer (cetol) (only the large ones) holes right away. trying to paint battens *with* holes already in is worse than just painting battens. just my $0.02.