Re: Kasten Marine--Jasmine

  • jcuknz
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 1, 2011
      --- In junkrig@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Hamill" <mhamill1@...> wrote:

      > Regarding crew comfort--There is a pilot house option--scroll down the text "sailplan with pilothouse"

      GOOD ... because it is not comfort but survival at stake
    • Annie Hill
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 1, 2011
        She looks grand to me - if you like big yachts (which I don't).

        She has an outboard rudder that would allow for simple fitting of a self
        steering gear, you could easily lead all lines to the cockpit or main
        hatch which, in combination with a pram hood would mean that going on
        deck would be a matter of choice, not necessity. The junk rig cares for
        the crew so they don't need protection from the elements. What's the
        problem?

        Annie

      • Arne Kverneland, Norway
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 1, 2011
          Stavanger, Wed

          That 48' "Jasmin" hull really looks fine. However, I'm not so sure about her junk sails. I fear that the low number of battens leads to increased loads on both battens and sail cloth and that one would need to keep downhauls pretty taut to pull the luffs nearly straight. Do you know if any of these boats have been launched, and if `yes', how they perform? I am sceptical to any junk rig designed by someone who have never owned one him/herself.

          Arne

          --- In junkrig@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Hamill" <mhamill1@...> wrote:

          > This site may be of interest if you have not already seen http://www.kastenmarine.com/jasmine.htm

        • jcuknz
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 2, 2011
            I should bow to your world wide sailing experience Annie but in this case I don't with my limited experience of sailing in an open cockpit and also for one short voyage with a dome protecting me from the elements. I really don't see how the rig protects one from the elements, true it makes adjustments easier, no going up on the foredeck to change jibs etc ... but you cannot beat getting one's body out of the elements since the body is the weakest piece of equipment on board.

            She does look a beautiful craft but appears more designed for the passengers to loll around in the Caribean sunshine than meaningful passage making :-) Perhaps I malign the lady. I'm sure also that anybody with the cash to buy her wouldn't be fitting a 'simple' anything to her ... that's for pennyless folk like thee and me :-)