Re: JR schooner in Newcastle NSW: note on stays

  • Arne Kverneland, Norway
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 1, 2011
      Stavanger, Sat

      Scott,
      I agree with you that the question of using shrouds or not on the junk rig is a practical question. I guess that what decides the choice is the availability and price of material etc. No one would want to have shrouds on any rig if they could avoid it. If good mast material is very expensive and steel wire is cheap, then sailors will be inclined to go for thinner (read cheaper), stayed masts. They must then live with the drawback with limited play for the sail. Luckily, on my place good spruce trees are cheap and good glue is available, so I can easily have unstayed masts made.

      Arne

      PS:
      Btw. Happy New Year to all of you!!

      --- In junkrig@yahoogroups.com, scott <koolkombi@...> wrote:

      > Interesting to see how western Junkies pride themselves in doing without stays, but several photos that I have seen of traditional Junks on HK harbour in the 70's do have stays. It must be to do with the size of the boat or perhaps because the mast itself was so big that it needed the extra support. There must be a fine line in deciding whether to have stays or not
      > depending on the height, weight and expected pressures.

    • Dave Marrs
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 1, 2011
        I'm not sure I have the strength for this thread so early in the year!

        Dave Marzipan
      • jcuknz
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 2, 2011
          A most diplomatic contribution Arne :-) after the recent thread on the same subject.